The Partick Thistle thread

We'll see how we're placed after the first round of fixtures, but based on the first two games we're mid-table at best, and could easily be looking at a re-run of last season's scrapping to stay up.  It's unfortunate that the old board/new board bickering /bus nonsense has obscured the fact that Caldwell hasn't actually built a very good squad.  We look desperately light up front and very soft in the middle.  I can't imagine the manager was planning on more than 1 extra squad player in each of these areas, even if there had been no nonsense going on at the club.

The first half, I thought, was quite good.  Nice goal from a great cross, finished by a defender.  Unfortunately the econd half performance was strongly reminiscent of the tail end of the Archibald era - sitting back, making errors, giving the ball away, and predictably allowing a 1-goal lead to be overturned.  I'm not a big Scott Fox fan, but the first thing I'd do would be to bring him in, as he would probably have stopped both of last night's goals. 

Also, Kenny Miller should never, ever try to beat a defender for pace again.  At best he needs to adopt a Kris Boyd style of standing in the box and waiting for a ball to break to him. He looked miles of the pace and potentially completely done.

36 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Also, Kenny Miller should never, ever try to beat a defender for pace again.  At best he needs to adopt a Kris Boyd style of standing in the box and waiting for a ball to break to him. He looked miles of the pace and potentially completely done.

Exactly. He spent all night telling people what to do, point his finger and drift into midfield. With Mansell and Jones our only other strikers I assume Miller was brought in for the purpose you describe....stand in the box and wait for the crumbs. He is clearly not doing that. Trying to use his pace to get past the Und player on the touchline was embarrassing. The board, from somewhere,  need to get some cash and try and persuade Sevco to give us Rudden for the season or we are 7th/8th at best

My biggest complaint about Gaz has to be giving a platform to that cabbage on twitter BM. 

He said he would defend Caldwell if he committed genocide on Twitter today, because he’s earned it. Also managed to pick Jacqui Low out from a crowd shot on the BBC coverage last night.

He’s clearly not the full shilling and needs professional help, not encouraged.

2 hours ago, third lanark said:

If you don’t mind me asking the Barnsley fans you know, what we’re there thoughts prior to the takeover? Did they have many concerns etc about what would happen after?

No idea. I think they had a habit of buying older players on shortish term seals with the majority freed at the end of their contracts.

Now they work on a model where they bring them in young on longer term deals. And sell them on for profit that goes back into the team.

If a player they want to keep won't commit to longer term deals, then I think the rule generally is, "see you later then".

Dont quote me but I'm sure they just lost 3 of their first choice back 4. Much to everyone's concern. But within a week has replaced them with what the fans think are all better than they had.

8 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Who is BM on Twitter?

Owner of Top Spot in the current Top 100 Thistle Wallopers. 

A position that's had some competition since he started tongue punching Caldwells shitter, but he's come back stronger with his latest tweet proclaiming his undying love for him, even if he committed genocide.

40 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

The point I was trying to make but obviously failed to do was that it appears that his transfer budget has been frozen/removed at the start of the transfer window.

Even though the Board have completely rubbished this? You're still buying it. 

Ok.

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Exactly. He spent all night telling people what to do, point his finger and drift into midfield. With Mansell and Jones our only other strikers I assume Miller was brought in for the purpose you describe....stand in the box and wait for the crumbs. He is clearly not doing that. Trying to use his pace to get past the Und player on the touchline was embarrassing. The board, from somewhere,  need to get some cash and try and persuade Sevco to give us Rudden for the season or we are 7th/8th at best

He did exactly the same thing for us, like you, I was hoping he'd be a penalty box poacher.

We'll see how we're placed after the first round of fixtures, but based on the first two games we're mid-table at best, and could easily be looking at a re-run of last season's scrapping to stay up.  It's unfortunate that the old board/new board bickering /bus nonsense has obscured the fact that Caldwell hasn't actually built a very good squad.  We look desperately light up front and very soft in the middle.  I can't imagine the manager was planning on more than 1 extra squad player in each of these areas, even if there had been no nonsense going on at the club.
The first half, I thought, was quite good.  Nice goal from a great cross, finished by a defender.  Unfortunately the econd half performance was strongly reminiscent of the tail end of the Archibald era - sitting back, making errors, giving the ball away, and predictably allowing a 1-goal lead to be overturned.  I'm not a big Scott Fox fan, but the first thing I'd do would be to bring him in, as he would probably have stopped both of last night's goals. 

Can't believe the stick Sneddon's getting. Seems harsh. Having watched goals back, not sure what more he could've have done to prevent first. Moved feet well and was at full stretch and still got nowhere near it. Should more be asking why was Shankland was completely unmarked. For second, he's deceived by Pawlett's scuff and can't recover in time to prevent it creeping in. Mcginty allows Pawlett to get in front of him.

The main issue i have from recent performances is, after almost a year in charge, I have no idea what type of team we are trying to be under Caldwell.

We dont have the pace to play on the counter attack. We dont have a good enough defence to sit in and be hard to beat. We dont have the creativity in the middle of the park to play an attacking, passing game. We dont even have a target man striker to hit it long and get crosses in to. 

In my opinion we are very much a nothing team at the minute and promotion, which we have been told constantly is the aim of this season, seems absolutely miles beyond this squad of players.

40 minutes ago, NotAFan said:
4 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Can't believe the stick Sneddon's getting. Seems harsh. Having watched goals back, not sure what more he could've have done to prevent first. Moved feet well and was at full stretch and still got nowhere near it. Should more be asking why was Shankland was completely unmarked. For second, he's deceived by Pawlett's scuff and can't recover in time to prevent it creeping in. Mcginty allows Pawlett to get in front of him.

I'm guessing you must be related to Sneddon since you consistently come on to defend him. He was shite yesterday.

16 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

The main issue i have from recent performances is, after almost a year in charge, I have no idea what type of team we are trying to be under Caldwell.

We dont have the pace to play on the counter attack. We dont have a good enough defence to sit in and be hard to beat. We dont have the creativity in the middle of the park to play an attacking, passing game. We dont even have a target man striker to hit it long and get crosses in to. 

In my opinion we are very much a nothing team at the minute and promotion, which we have been told constantly is the aim of this season, seems absolutely miles beyond this squad of players.

Bang on the money. 

For all Caldwell’s talk there’s absolutely no evidence that he is able to build an effective style of play or, actually, that he has any real idea what style he wants us to play in the first place. It’s an absolutely nothing team that he’s assembled. 

Didnt manage up today but going by the snippets on WAT

No more players (even though we have a strike force that will be lucky to score 10 goals.....between them) 

Takeover far from certain to go ahead and no decision imminent.

If takeover goes ahead we might ask Colin Weir to join forces (good luck with that) 

Jeez what a fecking mess!! If this takeover falls through are they going to crawl back to Weir and beg him to reconsider? I know where I would tell them to go!! Looks like Gilfillan was the board member as no mention of Beattie (surprise, surprise...he does appear to only hog the limelight when times are good!)

Edited by Sting777