The Partick Thistle thread

. Rumours that Beattie has been spotted up on scaffolding ripping the Colin Weir Stand sign down tonight has yet to be confirmed!!!

Not sure we can afford scaffolding, more likely to be auld rope salvaged from the nolly suspended between the floodlights.

44 minutes ago, Midlife Crisis said:

It’s patently obvious from the first 2 games (plus the league cup performances) that we will be nearer the bottom of the league than the top this season. All courtesy of Mr Caldwell. 

Utter nonsense.

not arguing with your assessment of the team's chances but Caldwell's  playing without a budget to improve his squad.      You honestly think that given the choice that would have been his front line tonight?

3 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

Utter nonsense.

not arguing with your assessment of the team's chances but Caldwell's  playing without a budget to improve his squad.      You honestly think that given the choice that would have been his front line tonight?

How many strikers on top of Miller, Jones and Mansell were you expecting Caldwell would sign?  I do think that's his chosen front line, it just isn't very good.

10 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

How many strikers on top of Miller, Jones and Mansell were you expecting Caldwell would sign?  I do think that's his chosen front line, it just isn't very good.

At the very least one more, though no idea where he dug jones up from and no idea why he couldn’t have done better than him

18 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

Utter nonsense.

He had a budget and he’s wasted it. He’s assembled a squad akin to Archibald’s. 

1 hour ago, professor challenger said:

Utter nonsense.

“Without a budget”? Absolute drivel. He’s signed the team he has and he’s signed a load of shite. He’s a shite manager and should be punted at the earliest opportunity. 

I don't think we really played good or bad, but I just left that game deflated. The season is realistically already going to amount to nothing IMO, we don't have the resources to challenge and then sustain ourselves in the top league, we'd be fodder. Seeing folk having the Caldwell in and out debate in the same way we got with Archie the last couple of years is beyond repetitive for me. Change is needed at the top, because whilst I don't think we are a flat out rubbish team, we aren't close to promotion and we're on a one way ticket to long term mediocrity, regardless of who the manager or the players are. Bring on the new owners cos I see no light at the end of the tunnel with the current state of affairs. 

Edited by Firhill_Basin

2 hours ago, professor challenger said:

Utter nonsense.

Hes playing without a budget? Since when?

Caldwell has repeated constantly that he’s delighted with his squad 1-15 and that it’s a squad that can compete at the top..I will judge that after the first quarter but the board are given him his excuse if they don’t allow another 3 signings

Based on the squad he’s built, I wouldn’t be letting him squander what scarce resources there are either. Why allow him to bring in another striker who can’t score goals? Another ex old firm chum looking for a final pay day? Yet another midfielder who can’t create anything? A defender who can’t defend?

The sad thing is that a lot of us saw this coming from day one. Too many fans are in denial and seem to think we owe him something because he got us to the dizzy heights of 6th place on the last day of last season.

Caldwell has repeated constantly that he’s delighted with his squad 1-15 and that it’s a squad that can compete at the top..I will judge that after the first quarter but the board are given him his excuse if they don’t allow another 3 signings
I'll judge it now.

He's talking out his arse.

1 hour ago, Jag4life said:

They have allowed him. It's up to him and his whatsapp group to find them. 

Everything Caldwell boasted about pre season / at the end of last season is (predictably) turning out to be pish. 

He said he would get a better replacement for Doolan. Miller? Mansell? Jones? Really?

He said he would be the fittest team in the league due to starting pre season early. But the players were absolutely knackered after about 70 minutes. 

He said he would have a defined style style of play. Yet I have no clear idea of what that style is or what we aren’t actually trying to do?

The guy is a charlatan. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

I must be the only person that thought last night wasn't that bad. United just shaded a competitive game. We were the better team in the first half, them in the second. We couldnt keep up the pressing in the second half and Jones and Palmer faded. That is a good united team and they'll win the league. We will be about the play offs, which is what we all hoped for pre season. 

Edited by ALJAGS76

On 08/08/2019 at 13:55, dave.j said:

I have a couple of pals who are Barnsley fans and and say they have been fantastic for the Club, especially on the playing side of things and how they build and evolve the squad.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, it's good to nbe cautious. But some of the stuff thats been posted on here, WAT and Twitter is hysterical paranoia conspiracies. some people should take a look at themselves and step back from the keyboard for a wee while.

If you don’t mind me asking the Barnsley fans you know, what we’re there thoughts prior to the takeover? Did they have many concerns etc about what would happen after?

30 minutes ago, ALJAGS76 said:

I must be the only person that thought last night wasn't that bad. United just shaded a competitive game. We were the better team in the first half, them in the second. We couldnt keep up the pressing in the second half and Jones and Palmer faded. That is a good united team and they'll win the league. We will be about the play offs, which is what we all hoped for pre season. 

I agree. Thought we played really well in the first half but the way we sat back/tired in the second half makes me question Caldwells boast that we are the fittest team in the league. Why are guys like Palmer (19) and Jones (24?)  shattered after 55 minutes and replaced while Miller (39) gets 90 minutes to constantly point his finger and drop into midfield. Thought Palmer played well, as for Bannigan he  looks like he wants away and played like it last night. Sneddon had a night to forget. McGinty and Saunders kept Shankland quiet other than a fluke goal. Guys like Shankland and Hemmings are the reason why the Dundee teams will be up the top. Sadly I reckon Miller, Mansell and Jones will be lucky to get double figures between them. Going to be a slog this season unless we can get a Rudden type striker in. Maybe Beattie will throw us a few crumbs this afternoon

Edited by Sting777