The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Mancubus said:

As far as I know, Colin Weir never put any money into the club for use in the first team, only paid off the debt, set up the youth setup and was helping pay for a new training complex, so his refusal to give any more money to the club should have zero effect on the first team going forward.

We have been told the club has no banking and overdraft facilities, yet we appear to have run up a deficit (if you believe Beattie) Without knowing for definite, that points to me that Colin Weir was the go to man when the club needed money. Who paid for the two La Manga trips? I think people are being naive in thinking Colin Weir didn’t help out financially, in some way,  at the club. The sensible thing to have done here, at the outset, should have been Beattie approaching Weir and saying the shareholders wanted to sell up and given his role in funding the academy would he have been interested in making them an offer. If he wasn’t interested, fair enough, he could have no complaints about them looking at other investors. If he was interested, he buys them out and the club is run the way it was before the coup. The whole thing has been shockingly handled. God knows what happens if this takeover falls through and the same applies if it does go through!!!

Edited by Sting777

^While technically true that Weir (apparently) only funded the youth academy, it does mean we will now need to fund our own youth teams, which could take away from the first team budget. Unless we just pull a Falkirk and scrap the whole thing altogether. Or unless Chien Lee’s group are still going to implement their own youth system, or continue to fund whatever Weir has left behind (unlikely). Lots of variables at this point.

24 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

We have been told the club has no banking and overdraft facilities, yet we appear to have run up a deficit (if you believe Beattie) Without knowing for definite, that points to me that Colin Weir was the go to man when the club needed money. Who paid for the two La Manga trips? I think people are being naive in thinking Colin Weir didn’t help out financially, in some way,  at the club. The sensible thing to have done here at the outset should have been Beattie approaching Weir and saying the shareholders wanted to sell up and given his role in funding the academy would he have been interested in making them an offer. If he wasn’t interested, fair enough, he could have no complaints about them looking at other investors. If he was interested, he buys them out and the club is run the way it was before the coup. The whole thing has been shockingly handled. God knows what happens if this takeover falls through!!

Yeah, you have to wonder why one of the most lauded Thistle directors since Save The Jags never thought of such a brilliant wheeze. 😎

47 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

The sensible thing to have done here, at the outset, should have been Beattie approaching Weir and saying the shareholders wanted to sell up and given his role in funding the academy would he have been interested in making them an offer. If he wasn’t interested, fair enough, he could have no complaints about them looking at other investors. If he was interested, he buys them out and the club is run the way it was before the coup. 

Sensible thing? I'd be inclined to think that Colin Weir has absolutely no idea how to run a football club, and would've left it to Low et al. I get that we'd revert to the omnishambles that was the way the club was run under them is the point you are eventually making, but "sensible thing" it most certainly is not. 

9 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Sensible thing? I'd be inclined to think that Colin Weir has absolutely no idea how to run a football club, and would've left it to Low et al. I get that we'd revert to the omnishambles that was the way the club was run under them is the point you are eventually making, but "sensible thing" it most certainly is not. 

And you don’t think this situation is an utter omnishambles?? I cant think of any club of our stature that has basically pissed off a multi, multi millionaire to the extent that he has left the building completely. Also does anyone know who put Lowe in charge when Beattie left??

Edited by Sting777

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

With next season having no Weir money and no parachute payments it could turn into a bit of a slog in the championship. 

There was a £370k Uefa solidarity payment for being in the Prem 17-18, paid October '18, which won't be coming this way either.

13 hours ago, third lanark said:

Did I not hear before on the forum that Morton is in debt to the raes to something like £2 million- not been exactly living within their means either if that’s the case 

That's got nothing to do with what happened to the club in 2001 though and has already been acknowledged:

23 hours ago, virginton said:

If/when we're circling the drain after Rae jr. pulls the plug in the near future then you can absolutely file us into that category, no questions asked. 

I'd say that a boardroom civil war and the loss of major investment is a rather more serious issue at Partick than a historical debt at Morton that is already in the process of being written off. 

4 hours ago, Mancubus said:

As far as I know, Colin Weir never put any money into the club for use in the first team, only paid off the debt, set up the youth setup and was helping pay for a new training complex, so his refusal to give any more money to the club should have zero effect on the first team going forward.

4 hours ago, bad chad said:

This

Dunfermline on the other hand put money towards our youth system, if we didn't have to do that then we'd have more money for the first team. 

31 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Dunfermline on the other hand put money towards our youth system, if we didn't have to do that then we'd have more money for the first team. 

Where is this training facility that Dunfermline have bought?

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

And you don’t think this situation is an utter omnishambles?? I cant think of any club of our stature that has basically pissed off a multi, multi millionaire to the extent that he has left the building completely. Also does anyone know who put Lowe in charge when Beattie left??

It's only an omnishambles to the knickerwetting brigade on WAT who are demanding Beattie release a statement every time some hissy fitting "insider" peddles their divisive horseshit to the press. 

It's almost like some folk cant let it sink in that theres such a thing as confidentiality and what's the words... oh yes, Company Law, that might prevent the Club and its suitors telling some keyboard warriors every minute detail of what's going on.

Ironically those "insiders" and "reliable sources" know exactly that. Hence why they keep spreading misinformation... because they know a lot of it cant be confirmed or denied. And the conspiracy theorists are lapping it up. Hook line & sinker.

It's very amusing to watch  

3 minutes ago, dave.j said:

It's only an omnishambles to the knickerwetting brigade on WAT who are demanding Beattie release a statement every time some hissy fitting "insider" peddles their divisive horseshit to the press. 

It's almost like some folk cant let it sink in that theres such a thing as confidentiality and what's the words... oh yes, Company Law, that might prevent the Club and its suitors telling some keyboard warriors every minute detail of what's going on.

Ironically those "insiders" and "reliable sources" know exactly that. Hence why they keep spreading misinformation... because they know a lot of it cant be confirmed or denied. And the conspiracy theorists are lapping it up. Hook line & sinker.

It's very amusing to watch  

Totally agree. The 90 page fight involving Javejag and Jordanhill Jag is an embarrassment. They are saying the same things on Page 1 as they are on Page 90!!

Edited by Sting777

4 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Totally agree. The 90 page fight involving Javejag and Jordanhill Jag is an embarrassment. They are saying the same things on Page 1 as they are on Page 90!!

Jim has got quite a few folk dancing to his tune on WAT. Its hilarious.

What the club needs to do is get a couple of signings in and calm things down a bit. Just as an aside it was Kris Doolan’s golf testimonial yesterday and I have been informed by a mate who was at it that the players are surprised by the “bus gate” fuss. No big deal was the response and it happens on occasion at certain games where, given the players location, its easier for them to drive to the game. Happened last season and will happen next season etc

Edited by Sting777

4 hours ago, dave.j said:

Yet Jim, who's all too aware of the restrictions imposed by confidentiality agreements, called on the previous board to issue a statement following a Daily Mail article containing no sources or direct quotes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, Dave. 

I can't understand why you and others - guys I'd expect to ask the hard questions - are hitching your wagons to a vindictive hypocrite and a guy who's about to ask us to take another leap of faith, with the only certainty being financial gain for himself and a few others.

A guy who failed to make some tough decisions when they were required, set the budget for last year and then seemingly disappeared into the sunset.

Edited by Nizzy

34 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Yet Jim, who's all too aware of the restrictions imposed by confidentiality agreements, called on the previous board to issue a statement following a Daily Mail article containing no sources or direct quotes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, Dave. 

I can't understand why you and others - guys I'd expect to ask the hard questions - are hitching your wagons to a vindictive hypocrite and a guy who's about the ask us to take another leap of faith, the only certainty being financial gain for himself and a few others.

A guy who failed to make some tough decisions when they were required, set the budget for last year and then seemingly disappeared into the sunset.

I'm not hitching my wagon to anyone. I just see the bigger picture and don't let my personal opinions of people cloud my judgement of what may be for the greater good of the Club.

Your last point regards last years budget is funny. Especially as the Chairman who took over stuck with it, doubled down in January still hoping that balloon would get us top4, and then didn't make redundancies until the end of the season. Our ex Chairman had the ability to alter the budget if the Board believed it was wrongly calculated.

Edited by dave.j

18 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

I can't understand why you and others - guys I'd expect to ask the hard questions - are hitching your wagons to a vindictive hypocrite and a guy who's about the ask us to take another leap of faith, the only certainty being financial gain for himself and a few others.

And ridden straight back in, after saying he had no time to devote to the club. I might be totally wrong here but was it not the same shareholders that that sacked her that voted Lowe in as chairwoman? I was not a great fan of her but things were beginning to improve on the park. Since Caldwell brought in his own players in January we have played 26 games and lost 5 (including one against Hearts) I reckon with the players Caldwell wants we would be up in the Top 4 this season. Who knows where this season is going now.

3 hours ago, dave.j said:
Your last point regards last years budget is funny. Especially as the Chairman who took over stuck with it, doubled down in January still hoping that balloon would get us top4, and then didn't make redundancies until the end of the season.

Sure, I'm not disputing that. But the person who said "slashing budgets is a false economy" is every bit as culpable as her. He set that ball rolling.

Back to your first point, I'm intrigued why you'd be willing to take that step into the dark without seeing the detail. I assume I know as much as you about the proposed manner in which the club will be run - very little - so I remain sceptical. A position I'd have expected you to adopt on past form.

Edited by Nizzy

5 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Sure, I'm not disputing that. But the person who said "slashing budgets is a false economy" is every bit as culpable as her. He set that ball rolling.

Back to your first point, I'm intrigued why you'd be willing to take that step into the dark without seeing the detail. I assume I know as much as you about the proposed manner in which the club will be run - very little - so I remain sceptical. A position I'd have expected you to adopt on past form.

I have a couple of pals who are Barnsley fans and and say they have been fantastic for the Club, especially on the playing side of things and how they build and evolve the squad.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, it's good to nbe cautious. But some of the stuff thats been posted on here, WAT and Twitter is hysterical paranoia conspiracies. some people should take a look at themselves and step back from the keyboard for a wee while.