The Partick Thistle thread

25 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Remember club statements lie all the time but apparently newspaper articles with "insider" sources don't.

Whoever said earlier that the truth likely lies somewhere in the middle is closest to the mark I reckon. I just find it highly amusing that certain Partick fans who were furious at former board members for *supposedly* peddling a lie-filled agenda yesterday are willing to gobble up anything and everything that the new board members want to tell them this evening as verbatim fact.

That usually leads to proper scrutiny of whatever moonbeams proposal is on the table and a happy ending for all involved (see Livingston; Dundee; Rangers; Dundee; Livingston). 

Didn't you guys take all the players away at the tail end of last season and again this preseason? That kind of spending is fine for the premiership but its no real surprise that you have had to tighten your belts, but, it does seem that you have spunked your entire parachute payment on players to get you promoted and its back fired. Sad to see is there no way to supporters could buy the club

12 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Didn't you guys take all the players away at the tail end of last season and again this preseason? That kind of spending is fine for the premiership but its no real surprise that you have had to tighten your belts, but, it does seem that you have spunked your entire parachute payment on players to get you promoted and its back fired. Sad to see is there no way to supporters could buy the club

A lot of the parachute money was spunked on utter shite that Archibald signed last summer. Around a dozen players were terminated or loaned out by the end of the January. Even with the new players that came in, Caldwell still managed to get us mired in a relegation fight up to the last game of the season. .

This season's squad is a similar standard at best. Anyone who thinks that we can get promoted with this squad and management team is totally deluded. It seems that the money coming in from the Lindsay and Fitzpatrick deals will go to pay the bills or to the current shareholders as part of the takeover deal.

Until the takeover is complete or fails, and the squad is finalised, this season is just speculation.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

yeah, sounds about right. Think it was confirmed to the jags trust that due diligence is underway.

Due diligence should not impact on normal spending, e.g. hiring buses to take the squad to away games. Such expenditure is not material to the club's finances.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Whoever said earlier that the truth likely lies somewhere in the middle is closest to the mark I reckon. I just find it highly amusing that certain Partick fans who were furious at former board members for *supposedly* peddling a lie-filled agenda yesterday are willing to gobble up anything and everything that the new board members want to tell them this evening as verbatim fact.

That usually leads to proper scrutiny of whatever moonbeams proposal is on the table and a happy ending for all involved (see Livingston; Dundee; Rangers; Dundee; Livingston). 

You appear to have inexplicably left out a Greenock based football team from that list who had their own financial difficulties which led to administration in 2001.

Colin Weir isn't a Partick Thistle supporter. He was a Rangers supporter, who went to some Largs Thistle games when he retired there. 

Fair play to him and Mrs Weir for putting their money into Jags related initiatives - they got plenty of good PR out of it, I notice no-one asks what charity work they are involved in with all their cash (not casting aspersions - I genuinely have no idea what they do, and don't care). 

If he/they want to pull the plug on their spending, that's purely their concern - good luck to him/them. 

15 hours ago, virginton said:

That's not what Weir's statement says, so what evidence do you have to support that claim? . 

Fun fact: clubs bullshit and lie in official statements all the fucking time. 

Good work there - 180° switcharoo in one post! 

Muppet

"The current playing budget available to the manager is likely to be around the third or fourth highest in the league".

If the playing budget isn't third then something's gone far wrong. Who else outside of the Dundee sides could possibly have a higher budget?

10 hours ago, Dee Man said:

You appear to have inexplicably left out a Greenock based football team from that list who had their own financial difficulties which led to administration in 2001.

It only seems inexplicable to a moron like yourself, as Morton's financial problems of 2001 had nothing to do with the moonbeams promises of a new owner and everything to do with the asset-stripping of an old one. If/when we're circling the drain after Rae jr. pulls the plug in the near future then you can absolutely file us into that category, no questions asked. 

Until then, thanks for playing anyway champ. 

13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'm glad virginton and other diddy fans are here to tell us the intricate financial details of PTFC.

Pointing out that every other club that has ever been subject to a takeover was still able to run a team bus to games in the meantime is not an 'intricate financial detail', it's a 'blatantly obvious fact'. That some Partick fans were willing to believe that the club's bank account is magically frozen instead - good luck paying your staff and suppliers then btw - simply underlines the ostrich mentality with which they've treated this week's highly damaging back and forth disclosures.  

Swing and a miss. 

Edited by vikingTON

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

highly damaging back and forth disclosures.

The statements aren't great, but we don't know how damaging they are as yet, so put your creamed panties back in the washing pile. 

Or 'tomorrow's clothes' as you call it

1 hour ago, CaleyStan said:

"The current playing budget available to the manager is likely to be around the third or fourth highest in the league".

If the playing budget isn't third then something's gone far wrong. Who else outside of the Dundee sides could possibly have a higher budget?

Dunfermline?

Dunfermline's average crowd last season was 5,008. Partick Thisle's average crowd was 3,042.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48473238

Just now, Blue-Toon said:

Dunfermline?

Dunfermline's average crowd last season was 5,008. Partick Thisle's average crowd was 3,042.

We were massaging the figures though. Freebie kids season tickets, counting folk who didn't show up etc. Much reduced budget this year for Crawford but he has been pretty creative with it. 8 players on Friday night were either playing u20s/u23, part time, League One, League Two etc last season. 

9 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Dunfermline?

Dunfermline (and Falkirk) use “tickets sold” as the metric for determining what they declare as the attendance, rather than, erm, the actual attendance every week. So whilst Dunfermline probably did get more cash through the door on a weekly basis than us last year, it’ll be nowhere near as much as the attendances would suggest. I’d guess their actual attendance would be in the 3-3.5k range. So making marginally more than us in ticket income; which of course, is only one of many things which contribute to a team’s budget.

Just looking at the players each team has (and had last year) in their squad, it’s probably quite easy to determine that Thistle’s budget is higher than Dunfermline’s. And yes, we have been making very poor use of our budget for a solid 18-24 months now. 

33 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

We were massaging the figures though. Freebie kids season tickets, counting folk who didn't show up etc. Much reduced budget this year for Crawford but he has been pretty creative with it. 8 players on Friday night were either playing u20s/u23, part time, League One, League Two etc last season. 

Is there not a danger you have to pay more tax etc if your figures show more people in the official attendances than were actually there

1 hour ago, bad chad said:

I notice no-one asks what charity work they are involved in with all their cash (not casting aspersions - I genuinely have no idea what they do, and don't care). 

Next time, use the full quote. 

As I said... I don't care. 

I'm not casting aspersions = I'm casting aspersions

I don't care = I care enough to question why no one's questioning their charitable endeavours