The Partick Thistle thread

Thing with Big Col's cash being pulled it shouldn't have an affect on the playing budget unless that's now being used to plug the academy? Doubt it's worth getting too concerned just yet over what as previously mentioned could be Low just being a fud, but it's not a good look.

So, lifelong fan Colin Weir, after contributing 0.016% of his personal wealth to Partick Thistle has walked away. 

In that same 6 year period I contributed 0.02% of my earnings directly to the club, as did I'd imagine the vast majority on here.

And the article whilst not stating, infers its because his friend was removed from the Board.

With his 10% shareholding and stand named after him, the only thing he can walk away from is providing any future financial support to Thistle Weir. a completely separate company from the club. A company set up to encourage and give local youngsters the chance to play football.

Classy.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If the article is inaccurate then I'm sure the club will be quick to dismiss it as fabricated nonsense.

Good point, or they could be letting individuals hang themselves with their own rope.

11 hours ago, Nizzy said:

What do you call the rumours spread by the likes of Jim Alexander? Are we to accept their accusations as gospel?

Absolutely not. A man who doesn’t know anywhere near the amount he thinks or says he does.

I don’t really know what he’s been saying as his posts on WAT are unreadable waffle, but safe to say they won’t be accurate.

1 hour ago, Nizzy said:

It's two factions slinging mud at each other through anonymous sources and proxies. The truth, as ever, will lie somewhere in the middle.

Quite.  But if it's true that Colin Weir has taken his ball and gone home in a huff because his pal Jacqui was removed from the board, then that's pretty pathetic stuff from the two of them, tbh.

I'm no fan of Caldwell so far and think he still has a lot to prove, but if the (new) Board don't rate him then they should bin him.  If they're keeping him then they need to back him to some extent at least with more incoming players, as our squad is not top-4 as things stand.

The team bus thing is just an embarrassing shambles (again, if true).  Remniscent of the story years ago about Aberdeen removing the kettle to save on electricity.

Edited by VictorOnopko

6 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

The team bus thing is just an embarrassing shambles (again, if true).  Remniscent of the story years ago about Aberdeen removing the kettle to save on electricity.

Blown way out of proportion, imo. Why do we need a bus to drive players (many of whom are based on the east coast) to Alloa?

I’ve seen some mention that we didn’t use a bus for close away games the last time we were in second tier. No idea if that’s true or not, but it seems logical enough. We also won the league that season...

In these uncertain times for Thistle it would probably be best for everyone if you handed back Joe Cardle to his rightful keepers. 

I agree, he’d be welcome back at the Rovers.

10 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Quite.  But if it's true that Colin Weir has taken his ball and gone home in a huff because his pal Jacqui was removed from the board, then that's pretty pathetic stuff from the two of them, tbh.

Whoa, quite the 180 here. Colin Weir is now "pathetic" and lacking in class? 

It's being repeatedly drummed into folk that it's perfectly reasonable for the old/new board to sell up and f*ck off, yet potshots are now being taken at the guy who's made probably the most significant financial contribution to Partick Thistle in the past 15-20 years?

12 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Whoa, quite the 180 here. Colin Weir is now "pathetic" and lacking in class? 

It's being repeatedly drummed into folk that it's perfectly reasonable for the old/new board to sell up and f*ck off, yet potshots are now being taken at the guy who's made probably the most significant financial contribution to Partick Thistle in the past 15-20 years?

Not really.  Much has been made about him being a lifelong fan, having a long-term sustainable vision for the club, bringing through young talent, etc.  His name is on a stand as recognition for what he's done. That doesn't really fit with upping and leaving quite suddenly because his (seemingly quite incompetent) pal has been removed from her post.

CW's contribution, whether or not it is now at a close, has obviously been significant and generous.  However, my personal opinion is that if these press reports are true, the way he's suddenly called a halt to all projects is very poor.  No future youth funding, no training ground.  Obviously we don't have a clue what's going on behind the scenes as no one at the club is willing to tell us, but it's not great on CW's part and if it were me in his position, my investment in the club wouldn't be dependent on who was on the board. 

33 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I'm no fan of Caldwell so far and think he still has a lot to prove, but if the (new) Board don't rate him then they should bin him.  If they're keeping him then they need to back him to some extent at least with more incoming players, as our squad is not top-4 as things stand.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that they don't want to punt them, but they wouldn't exactly be averse at this stage to letting him hang himself?  All the quicker if they withdraw support.

Cynical, I know.

The thing I've always been interested about with your takeover is how the authorities are going to handle it with the Barnsley connection?

I've noticed this mentioned before but kind of fobbed off as it's happened elsewhere but I can't recall an instance where this has come up in Scotland and I don't really think the SFA has a test case. Even if it's approved, it'd seem to me like it's quite possible for it to be a bit of a debacle in getting rubber stamped.

The training ground plans were a mess before the takeover and it appears one of the intentions of the article is to lay the blame for that at the door of the new board when anyone with eyes can see it was doomed long before Beattie and co came back. 

However I'd say Colin Weir is probably right to decide not to continue funding the  youth academy. Why would he pay for the development of players  for a billionaire to profit from his investment? It's an entirely different story when he knows that any profits will be reinvested back into the club.