The Partick Thistle thread

For all practical purposes he was sacked. I remember that season well. 4-1 drubbing at home to Dunfermline near enough the final nail in the coffin. The idea people weren’t saying from quite early on that season that the wheels were coming off is... revisionism.
You don't remember that season any where near as well as you think you do.

Looking at the squad just now we're about the same level as we were at the end of last season: good enough to stay out of bother at minimum and top end maybe 3rd or 4th.

I wouldn't say a draw away to Alloa is inconsistent with the idea of a push for the play-offs, but we should have a better idea if Caldwell's ability to meet that target about a quarter of the way in. That won't stop yer da's piling in after the first game though. 

19 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

Looking at the squad just now we're about the same level as we were at the end of last season: good enough to stay out of bother at minimum and top end maybe 3rd or 4th.

I wouldn't say a draw away to Alloa is inconsistent with the idea of a push for the play-offs, but we should have a better idea if Caldwell's ability to meet that target about a quarter of the way in. That won't stop yer da's piling in after the first game though. 

My worry is we are without 3 midfielders and Alex Jones and De Vita still seemingly getting up to speed.

My big fear is the way our full backs were left without cover the entire game.
We've al! thought the big problem lay up front but at the moment an obviously weak defence is receiving absolutely no support from a midfield which doesn't seem to know the basics
Yous are poor all over the park

10 hours ago, John MacLean said:
20 hours ago, Ad Lib said:
For all practical purposes he was sacked. I remember that season well. 4-1 drubbing at home to Dunfermline near enough the final nail in the coffin. The idea people weren’t saying from quite early on that season that the wheels were coming off is... revisionism.

You don't remember that season any where near as well as you think you do.

f**k me I see what you mean. Mea culpa and all that.

22 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Anyone wanting answers (hopefully) about just what exactly is going on at the club (buses, finances, no more players.....doubt they will be able to talk about the takeover) get up to Firhill next Saturday for the open day. I think the Q&A with Caldwell and a board member starts at 3.30pm. Its time the fans got some answers!!

Well I havent seen it anywhere officially but if a poster on WAT is to be believed, the agenda for the open day has been changed!! Looks like the board member has nothing to say or discuss!!!

"15:00 – Meet the Manager in the Alan Rough Lounge for a question and answer session."

...and there's your last minute change of plan!

3 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Well I havent seen it anywhere officially but if a poster on WAT is to be believed, the agenda for the open day has been changed!! Looks like the board member has nothing to say or discuss!!!

"15:00 – Meet the Manager in the Alan Rough Lounge for a question and answer session."

Well!! I'm staggered.

14 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

It's from Twitter.

18 hours ago, professor challenger said:

My big fear is the way our full backs were left without cover the entire game.

We've al! thought the big problem lay up front but at the moment an obviously weak defence is receiving absolutely no support from a midfield which doesn't seem to know the basics

It's always been the problem.  Doolan looked largely rubbish last season, but he was made to look far worse (along with most forwards who didn't rhyme with Dot McSonald) by playing in front of a bunch of mannequins.  Bannigan probably looked a lot better than he actually was purely because he was running about a bit and looked like he cared.  If we'd had someone more than just Cardle (who spent a fair chunk injured) with a little bit of creativity, I suspect we'd have been far, far better with little other changes.  But instead, we had our pedestrian midfield not seeing any runners, and unable to create anything themselves, keeping possession tidily until they get caught, then inviting pressure on everyone behind them.  Our defenders aren't terrible, they're just average.  Every part of the team is let down by every other part.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

It's always been the problem.  Doolan looked largely rubbish last season, but he was made to look far worse (along with most forwards who didn't rhyme with Dot McSonald) by playing in front of a bunch of mannequins.  Bannigan probably looked a lot better than he actually was purely because he was running about a bit and looked like he cared.  If we'd had someone more than just Cardle (who spent a fair chunk injured) with a little bit of creativity, I suspect we'd have been far, far better with little other changes.  But instead, we had our pedestrian midfield not seeing any runners, and unable to create anything themselves, keeping possession tidily until they get caught, then inviting pressure on everyone behind them.  Our defenders aren't terrible, they're just average.  Every part of the team is let down by every other part.

I agree with this totally. Shea Gordon gets away from a lot of criticism (rightly or wrongly) because he's useful for chipping in with a goal reasonably consistently. I genuinely can't remember any game in which he wasn't a complete passenger goal(s) aside though. 

24 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

I agree with this totally. Shea Gordon gets away from a lot of criticism (rightly or wrongly) because he's useful for chipping in with a goal reasonably consistently. I genuinely can't remember any game in which he wasn't a complete passenger goal(s) aside though. 

You are right. Other than the two first half, back to back, headers I cant remember him touching the ball again on Saturday.  He tends to disappear in games, in saying that I think he will be our only player that hits double figures this season unless the board sanction a move back into the transfer market

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

McGarry clearly had a relationship with the old board and now knows nothing about the goings on at the club now they've been turfed out. I'd take anything he's getting from "a source within the club" with a massive pinch of salt.

Team Low comes out fighting. 

8 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

McGarry clearly had a relationship with the old board and now knows nothing about the goings on at the club now they've been turfed out. I'd take anything he's getting from "a source within the club" with a massive pinch of salt.

Reads to me as if he's definitely got a source within the club in the form of either Caldwell himself or one of his mates.