The Partick Thistle thread

To find out first hand if you complete disdain for the ego maniac is justified? 

Correct.

I give a shit about what goes on at the club, so obviously I was interested to hear what the manager had to say regardless of whether I like him or not.

32 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

So what has Caldwell actually done that makes you want him out so much?

He's been a pretty shit manager, truth be told.

Booted out club legends because he perceived them as a threat, rather than try to work with them and develop a different role for them at the club.

Finished a mediocre position after significant finances given to strengthen the squad. Completely and utterly failed to develop Archie's squad in the interim.

Also just a bit of an arse.

Caldwell was the perfect manager for the Low era (can we call one season an era? Maybe the ‘Low interlude’ is more appropriate).

He talks a good game and knows all the coaching psycho-babble lingo but is - in my opinion - devoid of substance and of the character that he claims to demand from his players. Yes we went on a good run towards the end of last season, but we should never, ever have been in that position and that we were was (to a considerable although not absolute extent) his fault. 

He failed in his objectives, just like Low failed in hers. He shows no genuine feel for the club (see the treatment of Doolan and Erskine), just like Low (see the statement about club staff losing their jobs and their wages being used to sign more players). 

Now that the Low era/interlude is mercifully over, it makes perfect sense for Caldwell to be punted too. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

Also, in other news given we've got an actual game tomorrow just 8 minutes after the end of the season, I see the ticketing website is still utter fucking shite.  Has anyone else been able to add the game to their season ticket?  Buying online seems to want me to choose my seat, and I don't see any option to add it to the card.  

Also pretty annoyed with trying to buy a season ticket for my Dad, finding that the season ticket purchase was offering any sat in the JHS as available (including mine, which I've renewed) and then getting no answer when I contacted them.  Fucking amateur.

7 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Caldwell was the perfect manager for the Low era (can we call one season an era? Maybe the ‘Low interlude’ is more appropriate).

It'd be good if Low was followed by (promotion) Heroes and (Premiership) Lodger. 

[That's opinion rather than truth]

Booted out club legends because he perceived them as a threat,

[i've no idea what basis you have for that allegation]

rather than try to work with them and develop a different role for them at the club.
Finished a mediocre position after significant finances given to strengthen the squad.

[The performances and results improved after he was able to bring in players]

Completely and utterly failed to develop Archie's squad in the interim.

[i'll give you that one]

[i don't care]

2 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Correct.

I give a shit about what goes on at the club, so obviously I was interested to hear what the manager had to say regardless of whether I like him or not.

I thought you said at the time you were not going to bother and emailed the club to give the ticket to someone else?

33 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Booted out club legends because he perceived them as a threat, rather than try to work with them and develop a different role for them at the club.

Finished a mediocre position after significant finances given to strengthen the squad. Completely and utterly failed to develop Archie's squad in the interim.

To be fair even Archie couldn’t even develop that squad.

caldwell was under no obligation to find other roles for legends at the club. Erskine in particular had not been firing on all cylinders for the club for some time.  There was no obligation even for PTFC to offer him something else. It smacks too much of the cuddly toy image that we keep players on simply because they were legends.

The main priority for Doolan was to score goals last season- which he simply wasn’t doing enough of. It was the right decision I believe to release him, though the way it was handled was right, in fact that was downright awful 

He also signed his mate Kenny 'fucking' Miller

I’ll be in the minority but I’ll be sad if/when Britton goes. More due to the amount of crap he’s been through with us and still stick around to try and help. He wouldn’t be here if he didn’t care as I highly doubt he’s on a big salary.

To me, the main issue with Britton is that he’s being put in roles that have nothing to do with his skillset.. When he was in charge of the youth, you got articles of the kids going away to some tournament and it came across they were doing well. So maybe that would be a better area to have him? 🤷‍♂️

Some astonishing allegations being made by Javejag over on WAT. Stating that he heard that sheriff officers forcibly removed the three directors from Firhill yesterday and that it appears the Weirs appear to be querying the finances at the club and that the books might not be as clean as being reported! This, if true, is a whole new ball game!! 

Edited by Sting777

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

caldwell was under no obligation to find other roles for legends at the club.

This.

How many clubs actually find roles for "legends" - if the guys show no aptitude at all for coaching then what was Caldwell supposed to do, have them serve Bovril to fans?

3 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Some astonishing allegations being made by Javejag over on WAT. Stating that he heard that sheriff officers forcibly removed the three directors from Firhill yesterday and that it appears the Weirs are querying the finances at the club. This, if true, is a whole new ball game!! 

Dont ever change Thistle.

25 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Some astonishing allegations being made by Javejag over on WAT. Stating that he heard that sheriff officers forcibly removed the three directors from Firhill yesterday and that it appears the Weirs appear to be querying the finances at the club and that the books might not be as clean as being reported! This, if true, is a whole new ball game!! 

He didn’t say they were “forcibly removed”. Sheriff officers would have served the poets to remove them from their positions. 

Agreed though, that the mood music appears to be financial mismanagement as well as mismanagement more broadly. Be interesting to hear from the Low et al’s defenders if that is the case.