The Partick Thistle thread

11 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Caldwell interviewed on Jagzone after game today. Hoping to have 2/3 new players in before next Saturday!

Pogbas still pushing for his move, Icardi's burned his bridges at Inter, can't think of the other one

Edited by bad chad

Watched the highlights, which was kind of odd in itself as it was a closed door game and part of the footage is obscured by either Caldwell or the Falkirk coaching staff. 

Anyway, never read much into friendlies but it was good that both our goals came from pressing and winning the ball well inside their half and breaking quickly. Less good was Sean McGinty being beaten in the air by Aiden Connolly for their first goal,can't be far off a foot in height difference. 

If Gordon is fit I'd expect that team to start next week with any new signings on the bench. 

Edit - seeing the home kit in action hasn't softened my opinion on it, worst kit in years and years. Looks like a sports direct bargain bin training top. 

Screenshot_20190707-110929.png

Edited by Fuctifano

2 hours ago, colliedug said:

Having watched the interveiw last night i thought GC said 1 or 2 players in for next weekend opposed to what sting said ??

Need to watch it again, maybe it was Brian Kerr that said 2/3 in his interview. Either way some new faces next week hopefully

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

If Gordon is fit I'd expect that team to start next week with any new signings on the bench

I think that lineup from yesterday shows just how little depth there is in our squad currently. If we need one or two for next Saturday then we need five or six for the start of the league campaign.

Edited by ClydebankJag

I think we need 6 more (CB, DM, and 4 attacking players split between CF and wingers), was trying to compare it to last season's summer recruitment which was obviously a total disaster.

For the first LC game last year we had 15 senior players, 3 of which were keepers, plus Fitzpatrick and Wilson in the squad with Keown still frozen out at that point.

As it stands, including the injured Slater we have 16 senior players, 2 of which are keepers with 5 or 6 youths in reserve.

The problem time last year was that from the 4th of July ( a week before the LC) when we signed Craig Slater until the 12th of August, after the 2nd league game, we added Max Melbourne, who was guff, and no-one else. Which, when added to the injuries picked up in the LC games resulted in the infamous situation at the Ayr league game on day 1 where the outfield subs were was a guy we didn't want to play and a 17 and 18 year old nether of whom had played a minute in the league between them by that point.

Hopefully the Fitz / Lindsay monies can help avoid a repeat this year.

I’m sure GC knows what needs done, and I’m sure AA did last year - but he couldn’t make it happen so we had a scramble in August. When we look back at last season the model of success for me was Ross County who did all their work early (8 signings by the end of June) and allowed their team to gel through preseason and the cup games. They hit the ground running in August, and boosted their squad with 3 core signings.  The words of GC in the summer made me think that was going to be his approach but unless our squad is going to be light in numbers it appears we will be replicating the AA approach of hoping players settle in quickly after being signed once the competitive games start. 

Problem is that everybody in our division is looking at roughly the same players in a certain wage bracket. I am sure Caldwells intention was to get guys in quickly but if his targets have a three or four club option they tend to hold off for the best offer. Cant be easy. Confident he will get a few in this week and agree that we probably still need another 6 or so to complete the squad

6 hours ago, gmcg94 said:

I like GC but has a lot to answer for letting go club stalwarts doolan and erskine, experienced players that thistle need in a tough division.

The release of Doolan & Erskine will be a small and distant memory if we are successful this season. If we aren’t then it will be a stick to beat the manager with. I’m sure he knows how big a call it was to make so let’s hope his judgement isn’t ill placed.

Edited by ClydebankJag

I like GC but has a lot to answer for letting go club stalwarts doolan and erskine, experienced players that thistle need in a tough division.

Well we had Doolan for the whole of last season and he was poor. Erskine doesn’t seem to be doing particularly well at Livingston. You’re entitled to your opinion but those players have gone, time to move on.

I can't believe the season is starting next week and we're not even half way through July.

Hopefully 1 or 2 in by Saturday. The scramble for loan players should start soon too.

This article focuses on goal scoring midfielders in the development lesgue from last season.Fitzpatrick is half way down but we have a current player above him.

Rangers seem to be sending a lot of their players down south on loan to create some transfer value. 

Might be a few at the top Premiership teams who could do a job. 

Euan Henderson at Hearts would be a good signing but I'm not sure if he's available?