The Partick Thistle thread

No one is suggesting a "huffy teenager". The club didn't need to release a statement on this until the transfer had been completed, or if they felt obliged to in order to keep the fans in the loop, say something along the lines of "the club have accepted a bid from Norwich for Aidan Fitzpatrick which we feel matches the player's valuation. He is now heading down south for a medical and to agree personal terms thereafter". It's not difficult.

But it might not match their valuation of the player, so why would they say that? That appears to be the case hence the carefully worded statement that's been issued.

Not sure what the problem is with the website statement...

We don't live in the Jim McLean era any more where clubs tell players what to do; even at our level, 'player power' is alive and well. It's a great opportunity for Fitzpatrick, ignoring the fact he'll likely get a fairly significant golden hello.

I'm by no means a fan of the current regime but the club do seem a bit damned if they do, damned if they don't at the minute. Folk want updates on this alleged takeover bid at every step but want to live in ignorance until a player is out the door. Sticking out a statement might actually be a call to other suitors to get a bid in whilst they can.

Anyway, when you consider we got £150k for Harkins in his prime and the Lindsay debacle, £350k for Fitzpatrick is a lottery win. Hope the money goes back into the academy and secures some peoples' jobs rather than be spent on another Old Firm pensioner.

absolutely furious that we didn't click on transfer list and offered him to other clubs with a fax going to all other clubs at about £1M or so to drum up more interest 😣

oh no wait this is real life not football manager lol my bad

...being a bit more serious I can live with it; we're in the 2nd tier which hurts our bargaining power, it's about as much as we got for Liam Lindsay (applying a bit of relativism here but as has been mentioned there's a huge gulf between an 18 y/o that's had a good season at this level vs. a 21 y/o that made it into the SPFL Prem team of the season) and he's not directly ended up at another Scottish club who could benefit from selling him on in future.

Doolan for Miller I still have massive reservations about and is the major concern for me at the moment, think it's likely that Doolan will manage to outscore MIller over the full season.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Very interesting and as a few of us thought there might be a problem with the potential investors owning Barnsley but dont think anyone can be in any doubt that they want the club now. Have to say the feeder club bit doesnt sit easy with me!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7207281/Takeover-Partick-Thistle-faces-EFL-obstacle-consortium-breach-dual-ownership-rules.html

Edited by Sting777

Due to the league positions of both sides, I assume that there will be little or no issue with this happening, with an agreement to review the situation should things change (e.g. we both become brilliant, and qualify for Europe) 

On the assumption that anything the DM prints is true, interesting that they’re buying a 55% stake. Wonder who is selling - assume AC, TH, BMM - and it sticks in the craw a bit that people who were gifted shares to safeguard the future of the club are now selling up without bothering to consult, or even inform, the fans.

Being a “feeder club” for Barnsley doesn’t necessarily mean much will change at Partick Thistle. We’d probably end up taking young players on loan from them, but what’s the difference in that and signing Shea Gordon on loan from Motherwell? We’ll also probably end up selling any young talent we get to them for below their actual value, but that’s not exactly a big change either, as our current and previous boards have been doing that for years.

For us to be an effective feeder club to a bigger club, there still needs to be investment at our end. There would be no point in someone acquiring us with the intent of us being a feeder club, only to asset-strip and leave us essentially useless to them.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How's your squad coming together? I dunno why but I have a feeling that Thistle could be title challengers this season?

Still need 6 in my opinion, should Fitzpatrick leave.

GK: Fox, Sneddon.

Full-backs: Williamson, Penrice, Robson.

Centre-backs: O'Ware, McGinty, Saunders. Need 1 more.

Central midfielders: Bannigan, Slater, Gordon, Harkins, Wilson. Need 1 more.

Wingers/Attacking midfielders: Cardle. Need 3 more.

Strikers: Miller, Mansell. Need 1 more.

1 minute ago, Slacker said:

Agree but we need competition for Williamson at right-back too as Saunders is emergency cover only. 

A third goalkeeper as cover would help too.

4 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Think that’s a fair summary. Maybe 1 more FB/WB instead of CM, because Penrice’s flexibility should mean he works as a backup CM as well, which leaves us with 6 who can play there.

Hard to believe from 7 months ago we have lost regular players like Erskine, Doolan, Elliot, Spittal and probably Fitzpatrick. Dont think many jags fans would have forecast that. No excuses this season, its Caldwells team now and it needs to hit the ground running!!

45 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

On the assumption that anything the DM prints is true, interesting that they’re buying a 55% stake. Wonder who is selling - assume AC, TH, BMM - and it sticks in the craw a bit that people who were gifted shares to safeguard the future of the club are now selling up without bothering to consult, or even inform, the fans.

Allan Cowan wasn’t gifted shares and Brown McMaster is dead so you can safely take them out of the equation. 

McMaster passed his on to his children so it's reasonable to assume that that's where a fair proportion

of the 55% shareholding comes from.

As said, shares provided solely to ensure safe stewardship of the club for future generations suddenly became 

payment in kind for work done during 'Save the Jags'.