The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

For all the criticisms of Caldwell I refuse to believe he's willing to risk what I'm sure most would agree is his last chance in full time management just to give his mate a contract....

Kenny Miller being linked with us. Played with Caldwell at Celtic. Miller stated in the Hearts replay build up that him and Caldwell are "good mates".

Scott Mcdonald played with us. Played with Kerr at Motherwell and Caldwell at Celtic.

Darren O'Dea linked with us. Played with Caldwell at Celtic.

Conor Sammon linked with a return. Played with Caldwell at Wigan.

Paul Caddis trained with us through Oct/Nov, played with Caldwell at Celtic.

Gary Harkins signed an 18 month contract. Him and Kerr played together at Dundee twice.

If you genuinely don't believe this sort of thing goes on, check back to a programme from 1992/93 where Gerry Britton featured in the Stars in Stripes column. when asked, who would you sign if you were a manager, his answer? "Steve Fulton because he's my best friend in football".... I don't need to tell you the rest.

Edited by dave.j

Lets factor in a few things re: Norwich and Fitzpatrick.

They were offering >£3mill for Turnbull which was nothing to them.

They are now getting even more disgusting amounts of tv money.

They are probably stocking up on British players incase any post Brexit rules result in a max european rule. 

We also don’t have to sell, so the board could kindly not be incompetent fucks and hold an English club to ransom for a change.

23 minutes ago, BdenJag said:

I would only sell if we can get him back on loan for the season. Something in the region of 450k would be a good deal.

You are surely having a laugh. If you believe the club, they have already knocked back a million for him. If they can offer £3m without batting an eyelid for a young Scottish player, albeit he has proven himself in the top league last season, we should be holding out for substantially more than we got for big Liam. We sold him on the cheap, lets hope the same doesnt happen with Fitzy!

14 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Kenny Miller being linked with us. Played with Caldwell at Celtic. Miller stated in the Hearts replay build up that him and Caldwell are "good mates".

Scott Mcdonald played with us. Played with Kerr at Motherwell and Caldwell at Celtic. 

Darren O'Dea linked with us. Played with Caldwell at Celtic.

Conor Sammon linked with a return. Played with Caldwell at Wigan.

Paul Caddis trained with us through Oct/Nov, played with Caldwell at Celtic.

Gary Harkins signed an 18 month contract. Him and Kerr played together at Dundee twice.

If you genuinely don't believe this sort of thing goes on, check back to a programme from 1992/93 where Gerry Britton featured in the Stars in Stripes column. when asked, who would you sign if you were a manager, his answer? "Steve Fulton because he's my best friend in football".... I don't need to tell you the rest.

I thought my post was fairly self-explanatory but clearly not.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

19 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I think Billy Dodds made one or two appearances for us about that age before packing it in?

He was 37. In all the years I have followed the club I cannot think of any player playing for us in their 40s

Edited by Sting777

8 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I thought my post was fairly self-explanatory but clearly not.

It was. You refused to believe Caldwell would risk his last chance at football management just to sign his mates.

I replied by demonstrating that that might not be the case, by providing evidence of players he has signed and been linked to. and all in the space of one window. 

18 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

You are surely having a laugh. If you believe the club, they have already knocked back a million for him. If they can offer £3m without batting an eyelid for a young Scottish player, albeit he has proven himself in the top league last season, we should be holding out for substantially more than we got for big Liam. We sold him on the cheap, lets hope the same doesnt happen with Fitzy!

I don’t believe the club. There is absolutely no chance we knocked back £1 million for Fitzpatrick and if we did then we are absolute idiots.

Excellent wee player though he is, there’s still every chance his talent will fizzle out like many others. If we can get £400,000 plus sell-ons it’s an absolute no brainer for a club like us. Chat in the millions is utterly delusional. 

8 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

I don’t believe the club. There is absolutely no chance we knocked back £1 million for Fitzpatrick and if we did then we are absolute idiots.

Excellent wee player though he is, there’s still every chance his talent will fizzle out like many others. If we can get £400,000 plus sell-ons it’s an absolute no brainer for a club like us. Chat in the millions is utterly delusional. 

Doesnt matter whether you or I believe the club or not, they are on record as saying it and are going to look utter fools if they let the boy go for £400,000......then again......

8 minutes ago, dave.j said:

It was. You refused to believe Caldwell would risk his last chance at football management just to sign his mates.

I replied by demonstrating that that might not be the case, by providing evidence of players he has signed and been linked to. and all in the space of one window. 

I just presumed you misunderstood me as I thought there's no way that anyone would use Scott McDonald as an example of signing someone just because he's mates with Caldwell when he was clearly an improvement on what we had at the time and then follow it up with a list of players we didn't sign as if that somehow proves Caldwell would sign someone just because he is his friend.

To be entirely clear here do you think Gary Caldwell and Brian Kerr signed Scott McDonald and Gary Harkins just because they are their mates or is it possible they thought they might improve the team?

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

I just presumed you misunderstood me as I thought there's no way that anyone would use Scott McDonald as an example of signing someone just because he's mates with Caldwell when he was clearly an improvement on what we had at the time and then follow it up with a list of players we didn't sign as if that somehow proves Caldwell would sign someone just because he is his friend.

To be entirely clear here do you think Gary Caldwell and Brian Kerr signed Scott McDonald and Gary Harkins just because they are their mates or is it possible they thought they might improve the team?

i think one of the deciding factors in signing McDonald is that he's mates with Caldwell. 

I think the ONLY deciding factor in giving Harkins an 18 month Contract, was because he's mates with Kerr

17 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Doesnt matter whether you or I believe the club or not, they are on record as saying it and are going to look utter fools if they let the boy go for £400,000......then again......

They’re fools anyway, it wouldn’t require this to confirm it. And they were fools for putting out the nonsense story about rejecting a million for him.

Back in the real world, he’s an 18 year old with limited game time who showed in flashes that he has real talent (in the Scottish Championship) but who, as mentioned, could quite as easily fizzle out into nothing. £400,000 plus add ons would be an excellent deal that we’d be delusional to reject. 

36 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

We also don’t have to sell, so the board could kindly not be incompetent fucks and hold an English club to ransom for a change.

The Lindsay transfer was really shite for us, and I would hope they would have learned from that, and when we do sell Fitzpatrick, we actually get something worthwhile for him. With this board, though, it's hard to know what to expect.

I do think we should be trying to hold onto him this year unless it's a ridiculous offer, though. We apparently got somewhere in the region of £300k for Jack Hendry despite him only playing a handful of games at age 19/20, and Aidan Fitzpatrick has featured fairly regularly at 17. A 7-figure sum would probably be too much, but football is full of stupid transfer fees these days. He has an incredible amount of potential and I don't remember seeing a player as technically proficient at 17 as he was last season.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

We apparently got somewhere in the region of £300k for Jack Hendry despite him only playing a handful of games at age 19/20

It was less than the Mo Johnston fee of £250k up front, it had the potential for add ons to exceed that but clearly those were all rubbered by the time he went to Celtic after leaving Wigan.

16 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

They’re fools anyway, it wouldn’t require this to confirm it. And they were fools for putting out the nonsense story about rejecting a million for him.

Back in the real world, he’s an 18 year old with limited game time who showed in flashes that he has real talent (in the Scottish Championship) but who, as mentioned, could quite as easily fizzle out into nothing. £400,000 plus add ons would be an excellent deal that we’d be delusional to reject. 

Turnbull has played 32 games for Motherwell and yes he had a good season, but as you say, at that age he could still fizzle out. Fitzy has played 21 games for Thistle and represented his country. The board have made it clear they dont need to sell him. Norwich are in the Premiership, £300,000/£400,000 is nothing to them. The boy has undoubted potential, so its time for the club to show a bit of balls and get what THEY consider to be the correct price for him and that doesnt appear to be £3/400,000

Edited by Sting777

13 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Turnbull has played 32 games for Motherwell and yes he had a good season, but as you say, at that age he could still fizzle out. Fitzy has played 21 games for Thistle and represented his country. The board have made it clear they dont need to sell him. Norwich are in the Premiership, £300,000/£400,000 is nothing to them. The boy has undoubted potential, so its time for the club to show a bit of balls and get what THEY consider to be the correct price for him and that doesnt appear to be £3/400,000

Turnbull has been a first pick and an absolutely outstanding performer for one of the top clubs in the country. That he’s not already in the Scotland squad is a surprise, and I’m sure he will be in the next one. Fitzpatrick has shown flashes of talent - in the second tier - but has also been absolutely anonymous in some matches (as can be expected from an 18 year old). Turnbull’s value is clearly going to be exponentially higher, and he’s also three years older. 

Martin Lauchlan also represented his country at that age. We turned down offers (from Middlesborough if I recall correctly), and then he went to St Johnstone for peanuts and his career never really happened. Not saying that’ll happen to Aidan, but there’s clear comparisons there. £400,000 plus clauses would be tremendous and if we turned that down we are daft. 

3 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Turnbull has been a first pick and an absolutely outstanding performer for one of the top clubs in the country. That he’s not already in the Scotland squad is a surprise, and I’m sure he will be in the next one. Fitzpatrick has shown flashes of talent - in the second tier - but has also been absolutely anonymous in some matches (as can be expected from an 18 year old). Turnbull’s value is clearly going to be exponentially higher, and he’s also three years older. 

Martin Lauchlan also represented his country at that age. We turned down offers (from Middlesborough if I recall correctly), and then he went to St Johnstone for peanuts and his career never really happened. Not saying that’ll happen to Aidan, but there’s clear comparisons there. £400,000 plus clauses would be tremendous and if we turned that down we are daft. 

Turnbull is 19. Different scenarios but we got our fingers burnt with Lindsay and all I hope is that the club doesnt let it happen with Fitzy. Given that its stated they have knocked back £400,000 from Norwich that seems to be the case!