The Partick Thistle thread

7 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Ended up going last night, and was impressed by Caldwell, surprisingly enough.

One or two things I didn’t agree with, or were contradictory, such as how we can’t shout from the rooftops about how the aim is promotion, yet that’s what everyone at the club was doing from the moment he took over until fairly recently. Also saying that the team he took over wasn’t capable of high press, or playing the way he wanted, even though we were told that he had an individual plan for every member of the squad at that time.

Regardless though, he did make the squad better in January. Although I don’t think that his style of play was implemented as well as he thinks it was, as we’ve still been pretty brutal at various points since then. If the plan is to play the way we did at Ayr away and QOTS in the last couple of games of the season, then I’m happy enough with that.

Caldwell has bought himself some goodwill from the Thistle support at a moment when he really needed it, but ultimately I’ll be reserving judgement until I see some major improvements on the park come August.

100% agree.  For all Caldwell's apparent ability to dazzle any audience with a powerpoint presentation, he's done the bare minimum so far.  The January window was excellent, as much in terms of ridding ourselves of utter dross as quality coming in, but in the end McDonald was the difference between safety (by the skin of our teeth) and a play-off or worse.  He certainly hasn't got us playing consistently well since January, that's for sure; the main step forward from the Archibald era is that at least we're no longer shipping last minute goals every other week.

I wasn't there, but what you say about contradictions isn't a surprise.  He's clearly happy to talk a fair amount of bullshit as he goes along, and that includes the individual plans nonsense, when he then got about 1 point in his first 8 games, and the mixed messages about promotion.  The delusional promotion chat was infuriating last season - I'm sure quite late on in winter either Caldwell or the board (or both) were still talking about it when we were in the bottom two (or even dead last).  Is he now saying we're not aiming for promotion next season, or not being drawn on it?  He obviously talks a good game at events like last night's, but during the actual season he handled a lot of stuff pretty badly.

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/souleymane-coulibaly-from-the-new-drogba-at-spurs-to-patrick-reserves/

Jeez, the new Drogba....wow. He obviously doesnt like the manager. To be fair I spoke to Coulibaly at Firhill at the turn of the year and asked him when he would be fit to play. He said he was fit and that it was up to the boss to give him a chance. He never got it. If Caldwell’s allegations are true, he didnt deserve the chance. Guess we will never know the full answer and who is telling the truth!!

Edited by Sting777

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

100% agree.  For all Caldwell's apparent ability to dazzle any audience with a powerpoint presentation, he's done the bare minimum so far.  The January window was excellent, as much in terms of ridding ourselves of utter dross as quality coming in, but in the end McDonald was the difference between safety (by the skin of our teeth) and a play-off or worse.  He certainly hasn't got us playing consistently well since January, that's for sure; the main step forward from the Archibald era is that at least we're no longer shipping last minute goals every other week.

I wasn't there, but what you say about contradictions isn't a surprise.  He's clearly happy to talk a fair amount of bullshit as he goes along, and that includes the individual plans nonsense, when he then got about 1 point in his first 8 games, and the mixed messages about promotion.  The delusional promotion chat was infuriating last season - I'm sure quite late on in winter either Caldwell or the board (or both) were still talking about it when we were in the bottom two (or even dead last).  Is he now saying we're not aiming for promotion next season, or not being drawn on it?  He obviously talks a good game at events like last night's, but during the actual season he handled a lot of stuff pretty badly.

we've dropped 6 points across 5 games under Caldwell giving away goals in the last 15 mins of games.

4 of the games we were drawing and ended up losing, the other we were beating falkirk 1.0 and ended up drawing.

we also shipped 2 in the last 15 to dunfermline in the 3-0 defeat i think.

Edited by dave.j

16 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

What were Caldwell’s allegations?

Regularly late for training, not attending functions, not trying in training. Think there is more but Caldwell said he would have to bite his tongue as the player still has a contract with the club until the end of the month

in the interests of fainess Coulibaly has tweeted that he was never late never mind miss a training session and on the flip side accused Caldwell of being a no show at 5 training sessions :lol:

I'd say there's probably some truth on both sides.

Can see Coulibaly being the type who believes he's above the level he's found himself at, and wouldn't really make an effort at training.

And Caldwell's still commuting from Wigan regularly, isn't he? He's definitely thought "f**k that" a few times.

47 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

What kind of patter was being thrown at him?

Just people jumping and repeating themselves about stuff like set pieces, late goals, Miles Storey, Coulibaly, a lot of stuff thats been done to death. One of them asked about four questions in a row, the groans got louder each time from the audience as nae c**t was there to listen to an Alan Brazil lookalike.

Only concern was Gaz gave relevance to the noncy 50 year old Jack Storer fan with that video.  Shouldn't be encouraging folk like that.

The c**t now genuinely believes he had a part to play in us staying up with his slideshow of Donald Wilson’s pictures, which Caldwell told him to put Mumford & Sons on top of. Can’t support this encouragement on OFTW behaviour.

3 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Only concern was Gaz gave relevance to the noncy 50 year old Jack Storer fan with that video.  Shouldn't be encouraging folk like that.

An absolute crackpot, that one. Taking credit for us staying up because of some Microsoft Office slideshow.

He refers to Penrice as ‘The Livingston Maldini’ and it makes me fucking furious tbh.

13 hours ago, Firhill_Basin said:

wut