The Partick Thistle thread

I don't know if I could be arsed with having Boyd at Firhill. He's a whole different level of Old Firm media whore to McDonald but I could at least appreciate the graft McDonald put in whilst at the club.

With any luck Livingston or similar will keep him in the Premiership as he'll inevitably either be utterly shite for us or score 3 or 4 against us for someone like Dundee.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Pretty sure the Sun journo with the story (Robert Grieve) has got a few stories right since Caldwell took over. He was definitely the one who had an interview with Caldwell after the Whatsapp leak.

I’d take Boyd tbh.

9 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sounds like he has an eye for a goal. Promising. 

So does this guy. I think Boyd would score plenty in the championship but having Boyd and possibly Miller as a strike duo somehow makes my stomach churn!

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4223785/kris-boyd-partick-thistle-kilmarnock-transfer-news-firhill/

Edited by Sting777

Just listened to Dools’ interview with Sportsound, which is brutal. If that isn’t proof that the club have made an utter arse of it, then I don’t know what does.

The best part of it though is how confident he still is in his abilities. Finishes the interview by saying “I’ll bang goals in for anybody”, which I have no doubt about.

A big thanks to Kris for all his input to our recent history but sadly every player / manager / coach and everyone on the payroll come to an end at some point but us as fans we just want to see 3 points getting picked up on a Sat afternoon and support the red & yellow top. If Caldwell's decisions on these things are for the greater good of the club then great but only time will tell on that front. I remember fondly when on holiday about 5 years ago i met a crowd of Talbot fans and shared a few stories of Dools and they couldn't speak highly enough of him as a person and footballer and i couldn't disagree with them having met him a few times. but they said at the time how much they would love to see him back there when he finishes his professional career in any capacity.
P.S on a previous post i said there would be no chance thistle would have let him go........ f**k how wrong was i.

It is well documented that Doolan has had a poor couple of seasons, particularly this season and I am not surprised he was released. But the vast majority of our players have been poor, do we release them all? Age wasn't an issue going by the rumours of Boyd and Miller, so it must be that the manager didn't fancy him or that he got rid of any threat to him? The biggest issue here is the way it was dealt with. Cackhanded is the kindest way to describe it. Our chairman, CEO, and manager over this issue and the Erskine departure have showed what a classless bunch they are. Amateurish at best.

The Kris Doolan situation has stimulated me to become an active member rather than just an occasional visitor to this thread. 

1.  I think that like it or not we have to respect that managers will and at times must make unpopular decisions. 

2. The issue is how such decisions are implemented. In this case my view is badly. 

3. As a long standing Jag, 50 odd years and although I will always be a jag, I do not like the 'different direction' we are apparently taking if it means we are treating our club legends the way Kris Doolan has been treated. 

4. I am in no doubt both on and off the field Kris still had much to offer.  With the right support he will score goals, lots of goals. 

5. We can be a good/nice club and still be successful

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Huge rod for his own back made by Caldwell I think, he's pissed off a fairly substantial chunk of the support - certainly a bold decision if nothing else especially when it seems Doolan himself would have been happy to stay as a squad player.  Are we really going to sign 4 strikers better than him? He was still our second best striker last season despite being poor.

Caldwell better hope he has another Scott McDonald-esque rabbit in a hat somewhere. I would take Kris Boyd but think he'll get a Premiership gig at a St Mirren or Hamilton if one or both stay up. I would most definitely not take Kenny Miller.

Very much agree with this, if Caldwell doesn't sign someone capable of banging in more goals than Doolan last season and Doolan heads of to Ayr and is 10+ goals next season, then I'd say he's fucked it massively. 

Really quite sad to see Doolan go, would have liked to have seen an offer of some sort to be a squad player. Lets face it, we've had our fair share of injuries over the last few years... Except Doolan for the most part in his career I can barely remember him being out for any great length of time. Being able to rely on someone like Doolan as a backup would have been great, I don't think there is many current Championship sides that would turn him down for that role. But Caldwell did. 

I see we're rolling the mid 30's previously used to score loads for a premiership club dice again though. Hope it works again. Looking back at Boyd's record, he hasn't had many impressive seasons in the last five or so season. 

Edited by thistledo

3 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

He was top scorer in the Premiership last season if I recall correctly?

Ach I knew someone was going to pick up on that. Ok, one good season in five. The rest he has been pretty average. 

11 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Very much agree with this, if Caldwell doesn't sign someone capable of banging in more goals than Doolan last season and Doolan heads of to Ayr and is 10+ goals next season, then I'd say he's fucked it massively. 

It's pretty much the same as the Erskine situation.  I don't think he was playing too well when he let him go, and I said that I didn't agree with it, but if he brought someone in that could effectively replace him, fine.  He brought in Cardle, who started really well, got injured, and then seemed to be used very sparingly.  I think that was a decent enough replacement.

We would've needed to find a pretty effective striker had Doolan stayed, but now it's absolutely vital.  If he does that, then it's the right decision.  Otherwise...

12 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

We ended up in the shit this season because we stuck with Archie for too long for entirely sentimental reasons. 

On that basis, I'm not overly disappointed to lose Doolan the player. 

However, not giving Doolan the club legend a proper send off seems entirely wrong. 

The way it has been handled has been very poor, to say the least. It appears he had no inkling that this was about to happen, however we will get the chance to give him a fantastic send off when his testimonial match takes place and lets hope Firhill is packed to the rafters for that!!

1 hour ago, Exiledjag said:

3. As a long standing Jag, 50 odd years and although I will always be a jag, I do not like the 'different direction' we are apparently taking if it means we are treating our club legends the way Kris Doolan has been treated. 

You'll like it if it means winning more games of football. 

If all I cared about was watching a team win every single Saturday I'd just sit and watch Manchester City on the telly.

What I want is to support a team that treats its players - especially great servants who love the club and are loved by the fans - something a little better than shite by a manager who won't drop his knickers the second a "bigger" club comes calling.

And Kris Boyd is who we're going to being in? Get to f**k, Caldwell, Low & Britton. But Caldwell first.