The Partick Thistle thread

I fully expect us to take a punt on Mansell  and one of Miller/Boyd.

ETA: Does anyone know about the Coulibaly situation, I’d be content enough with the above on the basis that we actually play Coulibaly.

Edited by Maine

13 minutes ago, Maine said:

I fully expect us to take a punt on Mansell  and one of Miller/Boyd.

ETA: Does anyone know about the Coulibaly situation, I’d be content enough with the above on the basis that we actually play Coulibaly.

Coulibaly is gone 

Maybe he wanted to go? Maybe he has a better offer/ a player coach role lined up? Maybe he didn’t want to be third choice?

Hardly fair for Caldwell to get all the blame. I actually like his ruthlessness in the squad/transfer market.
I don't think Caldwell was getting the blame for anything . The consensus seems to be that Doolan would have been no more than a bit part player had he stayed so...thank you Kris, goodbye and farewell.

2 hours ago, BdenJag said:

Maybe he wanted to go? Maybe he has a better offer/ a player coach role lined up? Maybe he didn’t want to be third choice?

Hardly fair for Caldwell to get all the blame. I actually like his ruthlessness in the squad/transfer market.

He wasn't offered a contract.

I don't think Caldwell was getting the blame for anything . The consensus seems to be that Doolan would have been no more than a bit part player had he stayed so...thank you Kris, goodbye and farewell.
I heard in January that Caldwell was keen to get rid of Doolan and Erskine as he felt they undermined him in the dressing room

3 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Doolan in the premier league next year..  Could be re United with Lawless and Erskine possibly.

I would be surprised. Think he's a stick on for Ayr unless Mccall rage quits (which is possible). 

Think Elliott will stay but Spittal will go - could see a lower premiership team taking a punt on him - and Cardle will go back to Dunfermline. Bell will be "mutually consented" at some point over the summer and of the 5 loanees we'll sign Mansell. 

I look forward to this being hilariously wrong. 

2 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Wasn’t able to listen in. Can you give a summary?

He just said he was called in this morning, told by Caldwell the club want to go in a different direction and that was it. English and Currie tried to probe about personality clashes at the club or whatever but he was his usual professional self and said he got on well with everyone at the club and wasn't anything like that from his side. Said he's confident of continuing playing and scoring goals at whatever level so it's not a matter of him moving into coaching either.

He seemed pretty shocked by the whole thing tbh.

3 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Wasn’t able to listen in. Can you give a summary?

They didn’t ask him much. Tom English asked if there was a personality clash, Doolan said he wasn’t sure and just got told in the morning by Caldwell that the club were moving in a different direction.

Very short interview, before back to talking about the Celtic management situation.

Doolan is easily the most important player of the last 10 years for this club. Last year he and Erskine both took a substantial pay decrease to continue to play for Thistle. They could have jumped ship and signed for premiership club wages elsewhere but they didn't. Doolan has also had clubs come in for him in previous seasons as well. I believe Hearts made him an offer around the time of our promotion season but he turned it down to continue to play for thistle. You just don't see that kind of loyalty in football these days...

For what it's worth, I don't think Doolan played that badly this season. Ok, his goal tally wasn't as much as we'd expect from a striker of his calibre but i still think there's a lot left in the tank. He's certainly not done at this level by any means...

I find it extremely sad that the Thistle board and management think this is an acceptable way to to treat club legends... Pretty shocking actually. 

Huge rod for his own back made by Caldwell I think, he's pissed off a fairly substantial chunk of the support - certainly a bold decision if nothing else especially when it seems Doolan himself would have been happy to stay as a squad player.  Are we really going to sign 4 strikers better than him? He was still our second best striker last season despite being poor.

Caldwell better hope he has another Scott McDonald-esque rabbit in a hat somewhere. I would take Kris Boyd but think he'll get a Premiership gig at a St Mirren or Hamilton if one or both stay up. I would most definitely not take Kenny Miller.

17 minutes ago, Partick Monkey said:

Doolan is easily the most important player of the last 10 years for this club. Last year he and Erskine both took a substantial pay decrease to continue to play for Thistle. They could have jumped ship and signed for premiership club wages elsewhere but they didn't. Doolan has also had clubs come in for him in previous seasons as well. I believe Hearts made him an offer around the time of our promotion season but he turned it down to continue to play for thistle. You just don't see that kind of loyalty in football these days...

For what it's worth, I don't think Doolan played that badly this season. Ok, his goal tally wasn't as much as we'd expect from a striker of his calibre but i still think there's a lot left in the tank. He's certainly not done at this level by any means...

I find it extremely sad that the Thistle board and management think this is an acceptable way to to treat club legends... Pretty shocking actually. 

Wasn’t just Doolan and erskine taking pay cuts. Spittal And penrice did as well but for some reason people only mention erskine and Doolan as though not given the others credit 

lawless had no problem staying on with the jags but the then manager decided against it

Edited by third lanark

1 minute ago, third lanark said:

Wasn’t just Doolan and erskine taking pay cuts. Spittal And penrice did as well but for some reason people only mention erskine and Doolan as though not given the others credit 

Good for Spittal and Penrice. They are also class acts.

Your whataboutery to avoid acknowledging the justified affection felt by many Thistle fans towards Kris and Chris is really just a bit sad.