The Partick Thistle thread

Just now, thisal said:

Would you rather the club tell the fans first and the players find out on twitter?

Moronic comment. Obviously tell the players first, and once they have all been told, post an announcement on the official site. It's not difficult.

Just now, GrahamJags said:

Moronic comment. Obviously tell the players first, and once they have all been told, post an announcement on the official site. It's not difficult.

How the f**k is it? You tell the players and give them time to tell their family. If the players decide to post it on twitter right away there's not much the club can do. I be raging if my employer bagged me and told the world before I could tell anyone else.

I'm not really sure it can be compared to one of us losing a job. The players are contracted until the end of the season so it's simply a case of not offering them new terms rather than anyone being bagged as such. Once the club has informed the players in question I'd fully expect a list to be put up on the website as has been the norm for every season in recent memory rather than finding out in dribs and drabs from social media.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Kris has to be the poster boy for one of the most transformational decades in recent Thistle history. I feel there's a certain inevitability in his departure and the nosey b*****d in me wonders if he decided it was time or someone else did.

Regardless, I hope his testimonial summer is a blast and I'll go on record by predicting he'll have scored a couple of competitive goals at Firhill by May 2020.

I can only guess at who's next to go and what Thistle's striking options will be. I will, for the fifth season in a row, acquire a season ticket for someone else to sit in the Moaning Section.

Today is one of the many crossroads that we've gone through over the past two seasons. I'm glad Kris had been with Thistle for a decade and I'd be delighted if another diamond from the rough is on the way.

1 hour ago, cilitbang said:

Would we ever retire his number?

Storey's? I think we should. It would give me the fear just seeing anyone in that number 19 shirt.

Seriously though, I disagree with retiring any shirt number. Surely players should aspire to wear the number 5 shirt of Billy McNeill  at Celtic or the 9 shirt of Kris Doolan at Thistle. 

I'm really surprised about Doolan.  It's clear he's not been at the races this season, and his often impeccable touch seemed to have deserted him for the most part.  There were also a few occasions towards the end of the season where the Doolan of even two years back would have buried a chance.  But him leaving seems incredibly sudden, and I don't think it's a good move.  Earlier in the season the team was so frustrating in the way their style meant Doolan had to come deeper and deeper for the ball.  That'd be fine in a 2 up front, as there would presumably be someone left up there to profit from it.  Instead, we'd have Doolan spraying it out wide for someone (most likely Elliott) to fanny about with it, realise there's no-one to play the ball to and no-one making any effort to be that person, and the chance is gone.  I always thought that if we could find someone to link defence and attack well enough, Doolan could spend his days camped in the box and take advantage of the finishing ability he's still got.  Snatching at chances just isn't going to work for him.

Still, Storey's away, so we've got that going for us.  I'm not sure what "I should of dealt with it better" would involve, but I would have suggested he tried to play a bit better first.  In all seriousness though, a very honest post from him.  Never seemed to be a dick off the pitch or anything, it just hasn't worked out for him.  Hopefully he finds a club where he can rediscover his technical ability.

Fantastic servant but in my opinion his time was up. Being honest I am more upset that McDonald wont be there next season. Nothing lasts for ever and its time to move on. Only thing that will upset me is if Miller is deemed to be his replacement. That will cause a serious meltdown!! All the best Kris. I am sure he will be in our dugout in the not to distant future!!

Edited by Sting777

Maybe he wanted to go? Maybe he has a better offer/ a player coach role lined up? Maybe he didn’t want to be third choice?

Hardly fair for Caldwell to get all the blame. I actually like his ruthlessness in the squad/transfer market.

30 minutes ago, BdenJag said:

Maybe he wanted to go? Maybe he has a better offer/ a player coach role lined up? Maybe he didn’t want to be third choice?

Hardly fair for Caldwell to get all the blame. I actually like his ruthlessness in the squad/transfer market.

He didn’t want to go. He was offered nothing, and was told this morning. There’s ruthless and then there’s treating a club legend like a piece of shit. 

Firstly to be clear my preferred option would have been that Doolan be offered at least a further one year contract. I still feel that he had a contribution to make on the pitch for us whilst moving towards a role that increasingly focused on coaching and eventually into a management position.

However, if the current manager doesn't see a playing role for him or has decided that Doolan's wage, for what would likely have been limited playing role, takes up too much of his budget should he simply offer him a contract anyway based on what would have been little more than sentimentally?

I'm playing devil's advocate I know but a manager has to make the decisions he feels are best. In doing so he can't be influenced by past performances or if a player is in a testimonial year or not. His decision has to be based on what he feels a player offers moving forward.

These are big calls and Caldwell will live and die as a manager on the success of them. While I have concerns over whether this call Is the right one or not I am reassured to a degree that we have a manager that won't shirk away from a tough call. I just hope he has got it right.

That said I am disappointed that Doolan wasn't given the last 10 minutes on Saturday.