The Partick Thistle thread

Kris seems to be a pretty level headed guy, with his additional coaching role at Firhill, I cannot see him prioritising a move elsewhere rather than remain with us to progress with his badges.

This would obviously depend on what the Club want to do. With his testimonial arranged, I think it unlikely that they would not offer a deal. What these terms would be though may not make these choices easy for Kris.

Did he already take a pay cut last year?

Given how we've promoted internally seemingly regardless if it was merited or not, he'd be wise to stick around if he can. 

Additionally given, McDonald, Roy, Mansell, Coulibaly are all either away or likely to be away. If Doolan leaves, we just have... Storey :| 

I'd like to see Doolan offered a coaching role at Firhill and give him the opportunity to go and play first team football with a part time team. He looks a shadow of the player he was but there is definitely still a place at Firhill for him. 

I think we might sign Mansell tbh, he's obviously not going to make it at Blackburn and even at this level I don't think we'd face much competition. 

Caldwell's post game jagzone interview on Saturday talked Mansell up a fair bit in terms of how he's improved in a short space of time, as did Mcdonald. Haven't actually listened to the one with Mansell himself tho... 

Incidentally, as someone whose main sticking point with GC is /was his manner and media persona, the aforementioned interview was very good and honest, acknowledged failure overall and mentioned no celebrations at the outcome. Shame about 50 people will have seen it due to pay wall. I wonder if we'll keep that up next year, think only us and DU were the only teams to charge. 

55 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I think we might sign Mansell tbh, he's obviously not going to make it at Blackburn and even at this level I don't think we'd face much competition. 

Caldwell's post game jagzone interview on Saturday talked Mansell up a fair bit in terms of how he's improved in a short space of time, as did Mcdonald. Haven't actually listened to the one with Mansell himself tho... 

Incidentally, as someone whose main sticking point with GC is /was his manner and media persona, the aforementioned interview was very good and honest, acknowledged failure overall and mentioned no celebrations at the outcome. Shame about 50 people will have seen it due to pay wall. I wonder if we'll keep that up next year, think only us and DU were the only teams to charge. 

Mansell's interview was quite interesting, he was speaking as if he's signed up for next year. Seemed a weird interview if a deal wasn't already done but maybe i'm reading a bit much into him still considering himself a  Jag in that moment. 

Mansell's interview was quite interesting, he was speaking as if he's signed up for next year. Seemed a weird interview if a deal wasn't already done but maybe i'm reading a bit much into him still considering himself a  Jag in that moment. 

Said the very same to my pal, definitely sounded that way. Think there’s a player in there somewhere so a wee 2 year might be a good piece of business.

I thought Mansell was rotten but he’s shown something in his last couple of appearances. Reckon we might take a punt on him.

McDonald is off to Australia according to Keith Jackson.

Doolan won’t be offered anything. Clearly hasn’t been great this year but he deserves a hell of a lot more than that. To release - as that’s what it’ll be - maybe our most popular player and best striker of the last decade in the middle of his testimonial year seems, well, a bit of a joke really.

Also not the best way to build on the goodwill that may have been generated given the end of season form...

Just now, VladimirMooc said:

Doolan won’t be offered anything. Clearly hasn’t been great this year but he deserves a hell of a lot more than that. To release - as that’s what it’ll be - maybe our most popular player and best striker of the last decade in the middle of his testimonial year seems, well, a bit of a joke really.

Also not the best way to build on the goodwill that may have been generated given the end of season form...

I think you will be wrong as I definitely think he will be offered a new deal 

Any goodwill generated by giving Doolan a new contract for no more than sentimental reasons would quickly evaporate anyway. I hope last season was just a blip but I suspect otherwise.

Just about any time Lewis Mansell has featured in some form in one of our games, I've criticised the f**k out of the decision to play him and he's then made me look like a dick by either scoring or setting up a goal.

With that in mind, it would be a terrible decision to keep Mansell as he's clearly not good enough. :whistle

ETA - rubbish news about McDonald. Would have loved him back next year.

Edited by Nightmare

3 hours ago, DazzJag said:

Just watched it there, I see what you mean about him saying things like "we need to push on next season" but it could just be  footballer-speak.

Dools will get a deal no doubts about it albeit a role as player/coach emphasizing more on the coaching side of it and probably only be used as a striker when we are struggling with injuries/suspensions. I personally think it's a no brainer for all parties.

Just now, jaggyness said:

Any folk on here itk enough to have an idea when the release list will be made public? I see the club have confirmed that McDonald is back to Australia but nothing about anyone else

Need to wait on the envelopes coming back in to see who the players want to release. 

Good luck to Scott McDonald on his move back to Australia. I have no doubt that had he not signed for us we would at best have made the play offs or would have finished bottom instead of Falkirk.