The Partick Thistle thread

Don’t think Keown will get a chance to prove he’s any good. So I’d be surprised if he signed permanently with is. Anderson has spoke about wanting to come back to saints next season and given he’s under contract, unless he specially asks to leave and we have retained all our other players it seems unlikely. Kerr may go, but we’re also potentially losing Shaughnessy as well and that would leave us with only 1 other centreback signed up excluding Ando.

Aye, but given you’ve willingly chosen to put Keown on your bench ahead of him just now, the penny will eventually drop that he’s better off away from the farm.

Mutual agreement incoming...

17 minutes ago, jagtastic said:

Aye, but given you’ve willingly chosen to put Keown on your bench ahead of him just now, the penny will eventually drop that he’s better off away from the farm.

If Anderson didn't want game time, he'd have been happy to sit on Saints bench and they'd have never bothered with Keown.

As it is, Anderson wanted to play football. We could offer that, as well as a swap for a guy who wouldn't be as fussed about sitting on a bench somewhere, because it'd still be closer than he was getting to games with us.

Edited by Nightmare

If Anderson didn't want game time, he'd have been happy to sit on Saints bench and they'd have never bothered with Keown.
As it is, Anderson wanted to play football. We could offer that, as well as a swap for a guy who wouldn't be as fussed about sitting on a bench somewhere, because it'd still be closer than he was getting to games with us.

If being replaced on the STJ bench by someone who wouldn’t be fussed about sitting there because he was such a tit at his parent club he’d do anything to get away doesn’t ring home about his place in their squad, then by all means he should go back and crack on.

55 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Seems like you guys are lucky to have McDonald after proclaiming himself as gods greatest gift and that he should be at a much higher level than the championship.

At least he joined a championship team that's on the up and not on a downward spiral. Am I right ? Oh wait your a 

14 hours ago, jagtastic said:

What is Anderson's contract situ at St Johnstone? Is he ever likely to be a regular starter again at that level?

Runs until 2020.

He found himself out the first team for a reason, and even when we went to a back three he wasn't getting game time. Hes slowed down and the three CBs ahead of him are all better on the ball aswell. The manager clearly still trusts him though.

Theres every chance we'll be losing two players ahead of him this Summer though, so he'll be back in the Summer until thats all sorted out one way or another, I imagine.

10 hours ago, jagtastic said:

Saints didn't "willingly" do the deal at all. Our manager confirmed Anderson wants to be playing football regularly at this late stage in his career and didn't feel it was right to stand in his way. Keown was simply a late, available, cheap option to make up the numbers, and will struggle to play at all barring injuries/suspension.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Runs until 2020.

He found himself out the first team for a reason, and even when we went to a back three he wasn't getting game time. Hes slowed down and the three CBs ahead of him are all better on the ball aswell. The manager clearly still trusts him though.

Theres every chance we'll be losing two players ahead of him this Summer though, so he'll be back in the Summer until thats all sorted out one way or another, I imagine.

Saints didn't "willingly" do the deal at all. Our manager confirmed Anderson wants to be playing football regularly at this late stage in his career and didn't feel it was right to stand in his way. Keown was simply a late, available, cheap option to make up the numbers, and will struggle to play at all barring injuries/suspension.

So there's plenty to suggest he'll be surplus to requirements for a number of reasons.  

Of course they willingly did the deal. If they weren't willing, it wouldn't have happened. If the view on Keown above is the official one from Saints, it doesn't say much for Anderson's value to their squad that he can be replaced so effortlessly with anyone claiming to be a defender.

Stick on mutual agreement in the summer.

45 minutes ago, jagtastic said:

Of course they willingly did the deal. If they weren't willing, it wouldn't have happened.

Our manager literally said it wasn't a deal he wanted to do, but it was out of respect for the player that he was allowed to leave.

His future will depend on Shaughnessy, whos out of contract in the Summer, and Kerr, who's attracting interest from the Championship. 

Both are better than Anderson, but we're highly unlikely to get anyone of their quality in the Summer, so Anderson will be considered first choice again.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our manager literally said it wasn't a deal he wanted to do, but it was out of respect for the player that he was allowed to leave.

His future will depend on Shaughnessy, whos out of contract in the Summer, and Kerr, who's attracting interest from the Championship. 

Both are better than Anderson, but we're highly unlikely to get anyone of their quality in the Summer, so Anderson will be considered first choice again.

The interview I saw with Wright doesn't mention anything about it not being a deal he wanted to do, only that the opportunity to get a replacement in allowed it to happen. So they were willing to do it if a replacement was available. If it's the case that the replacement is seen as a bench filler then it doesn't sit with any suggestion of not being willing to let him go or that his place in the squad was anything other than the same.

If he's got a year on his contract then I guess we'll see how far this heavy heart sentiment extends in the summer. Personally I can't see him being assured as a regular at Saints again and he'll be off to somewhere with that on offer.

Yesterday was massive but just looking at our next 5 league games and there isn't an easy game there. I'd hope for 11 points from those games with 9 being an absolute minimum, including must win matches against Dunfermline and Falkirk. If we were to lose either of these I'd think we were hoping for 9th at best.

Another thing worth mentioning re GC, is that his substitutions are miles better than AA’s ever were. On Saturday 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go GC could have thrown McGinty on to shore up and defend what we had ( something AA would have done), instead he brought on 2 strikers McDonald and Mansell and went for the 2nd goal, I also think that GC is more tactically astute.

8 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

Another thing worth mentioning re GC, is that his substitutions are miles better than AA’s ever were. On Saturday 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go GC could have thrown McGinty on to shore up and defend what we had ( something AA would have done), instead he brought on 2 strikers McDonald and Mansell and went for the 2nd goal, I also think that GC is more tactically astute.

My cat is more tactically astute than Archibald. 

21 minutes ago, Walter said:
39 minutes ago, Big Dan said:
Extra time at Inverness in the cup replay.
Got to help for Saturday.

Penalties please. Sudden death to go on till 3 o'clock on Friday morning.

Plus mass brawl/kicking match at the end.