The Partick Thistle thread

9 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Intrigued for a few reasons - he didn't want to come out of retirement for us (or Falkirk) when we were playing shite but now we've won a few games he fancies it? Maybe he's not getting as much media work as he thought? 

Money talks and shit walks

Its a strange one to happen in the 2nd week in Feb and not before though, I am only guessing obviously but he was looking as slim as I can remember in his recent tv work, so I am adding 2+2 in thinking he may have been training with your lot in the build up to this.

I wasnt that impressed with him at Utd and obviously Utd werent either but sure he scored a few important goals for them

32 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Technically, I never said that he is.

And anyway, he's an attacking player who can quite easily (and has done on numerous occasions) play as a CF.

You said it's not looking good for  Coulibaly getting a chance of playing because of this signing.  Not true if they play different positions. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Rosebury said:

You said it's not looking good for  Coulibaly getting a chance of playing because of this signing.  Not true if they play different positions. 

We don't play the same formation every week.

The more attacking players we have in general, the less chance Coulibaly has of playing.

Plus, as in the previous post, he can and does play as a striker, so even if we did play the exact same formation every week, signing Scott McDonald negatively impacts on his place in the squad.

27 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

We don't play the same formation every week.

The more attacking players we have in general, the less chance Coulibaly has of playing.

Plus, as in the previous post, he can and does play as a striker, so even if we did play the exact same formation every week, signing Scott McDonald negatively impacts on his place in the squad.

True, we don't. We play two up, or one up front and two off.  They can both be accommodated easily  in either formation. 

SLJ said in the cup forum that Coulibaly has been injured, had surgery and only just came through his first full 90mins in a closed doors game v East Kilbride just before the East Fife game but probably won't be fully up to speed until March/April time.

For all it's been weird that Coulibaly has been going round and telling everyone he's fit for weeks, I'd trust anything SLJ says about the club.

Am I the only person that thinks this is a joke of a signing? 
Has there ever been a scenario where a veteran striker has come out of retirement after the best part of a year (to play at a decent level*) and actually done well? 
This is a worrying signing for me...

Very worrying

I doubt that any one seriously thinks that Mcdonald 'is the man to keep us up'. If we didn't have a squad capable of doing that already then the signing of one player, just about any player, isn't going to transform our prospects. But the fact that we were still working on bringing in a striker almost up to the window closing indicates that the manager still felt there was a need there. Mcdonald is clearly not a long term signing but he has bags of experiences, scored a decent number of goals at this level with United last season and he is also a horrible wee shite to play against. We need, for want of a better word, a bit of nastiness up front. He was available and I reckon more than worth a punt till the end of the season.

I seriously do