The Partick Thistle thread

No matter everyones thoughts on Caldwell, my decision was not to judge him until he got some of his own signings in. We are undefeated since that happened, he has cleared outa few and we are suddenly looking a helluva lot better. Lets hope it continues!

11 hours ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Not wishing to piss on anyone’s parade, but for me the jury is still out on Caldwell.

2 league wins from 13 attempts isn’t good enough. But here’s hoping we build on today and get a good run of victories doing.

Can't be confident going by the form but I've seen improvements week on week. The line-up today was encouraging with McGinty jettisoned. I appreciate Storey isn't on the same level as Cardle but at least he scored/ involved in the goal. Please get well soon Joe Cardle.

Edited by jagfox99

Thought Storeys goal celebration  was a  get it up u northy ,might be wrong

So claiming the dregs of an own goal is worth a sullen/giruy celebration? [emoji23]

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for putting pressure on the defender, however he’s a terrible footballer (I’m not sure which position he thinks he’s good at) who’s welcome to leave anytime he likes.

His failure to control and finish an absolute gift from Fitzpatrick not long after his luckily deflected goal says enough about his contribution to date.

The time to judge Caldwell will be at the end of the season.  We were 8th (I think) when he took over, and it remains to be seen whether his dire run of 1 win in 12 at the start of his time in charge will get us relegated (to be honest, it probably will).   I wasn't there yesterday but sounds like Fiztpatrick was a MOTM candidate - the young talent who didn't get a sniff on our dismal run of losses and occasional draws in Oct-Dec.

If we stay up then he'll probably stay on, as he seems at least to be able to recuit reasonably well.  If we go down then he's obviously been a disaster for us. It's as simple as that.

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:
I wasn't there yesterday but sounds like Fiztpatrick was a MOTM candidate - the young talent who didn't get a sniff on our dismal run of losses and occasional draws in Oct-Dec.

Just had a look at that nine-game run without a win, of which Caldwell was in charge for six.    

Caldwell gave Fitzpatrick his only start and brought him on for 30 minutes in two other matches. His only other appearance during that run was a cameo in Archie's last game.

He didn't contribute to the win against Dunfermline, but he started the next game against Alloa...and made no impact.

Caldwell's managed him well, imo. But that obviously doesn't fit the narrative of the #CaldwellOut brigade.

Edited by Nizzy

31 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Just had a look at that nine-game run without a win, of which Caldwell was in charge for six.    

Caldwell gave Fitzpatrick his only start and brought him on for 30 minutes in two other matches. His only other appearance during that run was a cameo in Archie's last game.

He didn't contribute to the win against Dunfermline, but he started the next game against Alloa...and made no impact.

Caldwell's managed him well, imo. But that obviously doesn't fit the narrative of the #CaldwellOut brigade.

I think Caldwell is a pretty poor manager on the evidence of his first dozen games and the extremely low points total he has gathered overall so far. The arrogance in his terrible media handling is just an aside.  He won't be leaving before the end of the season unless we're totally adrift, so I'm not part of the "Caldwell Out" brigade; we need to get on with it now. 

Fitzpatrick is notably talented and should have been playing more (one start for a young player where he didn't impact the game isn't really giving him a go - I don't think he started or participated in any of our Jan league games till yesterday?!) especially during a time when we were desperate for some creativity and fearlessness in taking defenders on (e.g. Falkirk at home, when Caldwell left Harkins on far too long).  Yesterday Fitzpatrick showed what he can do. Storey should have been playing less, or ideally not at all - rather than every week for the whole of Caldwell's reign.  You obviously disagree; fair enough. 

Maybe (hopefully) we've turned a corner, maybe it's not enough.  Our next three games are ICT and Alloa away and Ross County at home (Alloa have three home games). They don't fill me with any confidence whatsoever, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong and praising Caldwell this time next month.

15 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

You could have simply admitted that you were wrong instead of hammering out three paragraphs that I have zero intention of reading. emoji1303.png

I have a different opinion from you and expressed it in a polite and respectful way.  Read it, or don't.  I don't care.

5 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Saying he didn't get a sniff when he did is not a difference of opinion m8.

We disagree that Caldwell has managed him well.   Hopefully he will get more gametime from now on (and Storey far, far less), Thistle will keep winning, and we'll all be happy.

Edited by VictorOnopko

I've had in my head since we went into freefall this season that we'd need the traditional benchmark of 40 points to stay up. Had a look at this league since it went to 3 points for a win, which gives us 24 seasons to work with- albeit 9th was automatically down for about half of those seasons. Only adjustment I made was reversing Dunfermline's points deduction in 2012-13. Dundee's deduction didn't affect either the winning or bottom totals.

Only 3 times out of 24 has 40 points not been enough to get 8th or better, but they've all come in seasons where the winning total was low. As it stands Ross County are on course for 69 points on a PPG basis but with them, Ayr, and Dundee United taking turns to fall over it could well be a very low total that wins the league this year.

We were 9th in the 1998 and 2005 entries on this list.

image.png.d88f92700b78fa110aed78e2da27df28.png

I've had in my head since we went into freefall this season that we'd need the traditional benchmark of 40 points to stay up. Had a look at this league since it went to 3 points for a win, which gives us 24 seasons to work with- albeit 9th was automatically down for about half of those seasons. Only adjustment I made was reversing Dunfermline's points deduction in 2012-13. Dundee's deduction didn't affect either the winning or bottom totals.

Only 3 times out of 24 has 40 points not been enough to get 8th or better, but they've all come in seasons where the winning total was low. As it stands Ross County are on course for 69 points on a PPG basis but with them, Ayr, and Dundee United taking turns to fall over it could well be a very low total that wins the league this year.

We were 9th in the 1998 and 2005 entries on this list.

image.png.d88f92700b78fa110aed78e2da27df28.png

I am sure 2005 was one of the years we finished 10th. I remember that being a bleak season, but f**k me 16 points.