The Partick Thistle thread

15 minutes ago, BdenJag said:

I can’t be the only person that wouldn’t be fussed to see Erskine go from a purely football perspective? Hardly done anything of note for a couple of years.

Completely disagree. If players are to go from the squad in his or similar positions he’d be one of the last I’d release.

7 minutes ago, BdenJag said:

I can’t be the only person that wouldn’t be fussed to see Erskine go from a purely football perspective? Hardly done anything of note for a couple of years.

5 minutes ago, forameus said:

This.  Much as Erskine is very important to us, he's seemed like he's lost several yards of pace this season.  He can still conjure something out of nothing, but I'm not sure we can afford that kind of luxury at the moment.  Not when we're being treated to the Waitrose Reduced Section of Luxury in Miles Storey.

No doubt Erskine is not the player he once was, but he was our player of the year last year and I would say has been so far this year too. He's started 9 games in the league this season and we've won 3 (and he was crucial in at least 2 of those wins), without him starting we've won 1 in 10, he also started the Morton league cup game we won. In a sea of utter dross, he's still our best player - I genuinely cannot understand the lack of care for his departure (and his benching by Caldwell) unless it's through complete apathy. 

Even ignoring the above, shoving him out the back door in January would be an utterly disgraceful way to treat one of the best players we've had in the last 25 years (personally my favourite player in that time), one of the few guys left that clearly gives a f**k, one who is more important to the history of our club than Caldwell and the rest of the board could ever be. Caldwell would obviously bear most of the scrutiny for such a decision but the Board are equally culpable, why the f**k would we get rid of Erskine to replace him with a washed up Harkins?

I never thought I'd be one of those people, but I'd struggle to motivate myself to go back to Firhill under Caldwell if he does that.

Hope he does go to Ayr, he deserves better. 

^^^verge of tears

5 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

No doubt Erskine is not the player he once was, but he was our player of the year last year and I would say has been so far this year too. He's started 9 games in the league this season and we've won 3 (and he was crucial in at least 2 of those wins), without him starting we've won 1 in 10, he also started the Morton league cup game we won. In a sea of utter dross, he's still our best player - I genuinely cannot understand the lack of care for his departure (and his benching by Caldwell) unless it's through complete apathy. 

Even ignoring the above, shoving him out the back door in January would be an utterly disgraceful way to treat one of the best players we've had in the last 25 years (personally my favourite player in that time), one of the few guys left that clearly gives a f**k, one who is more important to the history of our club than Caldwell and the rest of the board could ever be. Caldwell would obviously bear most of the scrutiny for such a decision but the Board are equally culpable, why the f**k would we get rid of Erskine to replace him with a washed up Harkins?

I never thought I'd be one of those people, but I'd struggle to motivate myself to go back to Firhill under Caldwell if he does that.

^^^verge of tears

One million times this. How can we communicate this sentiment to the club?

4 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

^^^verge of tears

While I see your point, he was player of the year because the squad, to a man, was fucking shite.  And he was the one that came out and said that no-one deserved it, thus cementing his own win.  It's not much better this season.

But aside from that, if we're looking at this in anything other than a purely footballing decision, then it's not going to be a popular move.  The board and management team are already on shaky ground with the fans, and if they punt Erskine and then do little to replace him with any kind of quality, then they're genuinely mental in my eyes.  It's like they want everyone to hate them.

In my opinion I think Falkirk’s signings seem better.

A jobber who's already failed to make his mark in this league, a midfielder who's no better than those we have on the books already, a guy who Killie punted after about a month and the hat man...

"better"

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

While I see your point, he was player of the year because the squad, to a man, was fucking shite.  And he was the one that came out and said that no-one deserved it, thus cementing his own win.  It's not much better this season.

But aside from that, if we're looking at this in anything other than a purely footballing decision, then it's not going to be a popular move.  The board and management team are already on shaky ground with the fans, and if they punt Erskine and then do little to replace him with any kind of quality, then they're genuinely mental in my eyes.  It's like they want everyone to hate them.

Caldwell was accused in previous jobs of arrogance. And this decision would, in my opinion, totally back up that accusation. I can’t articulate it any better than you and Virtual Insanity already have, but if he is allowed to leave it will be one of the most dispiriting and illogical decisions made by our club in years. 

Hearing that Chris has been given permission to find another club...

With wage thief’s abound at our club I’m amazed this is the case. His attitude, strong character and fact he’s our best technical player I’m stunned we’d shift Squiddy over the dross we’ve still got at the club. He’s the only player who’s shown any grit when Caldwell has played him. Yes he’s slowing down as he gets older. He’s not the same player as a few years back but we lack leadership in this squad and we’re sacking him but bringing in a tubby Harkins? Someone needs their head checking.

Has to be that Erskine and Caldwell don’t see eye to eye as there is no footballing explanation to this occurring.

I truly hope the club knows what they are doing if this happens and these new players make a considerable impact in the next 3-4 weeks, because moves like this are not going to sit well with fans. Forget Caldwell, this happens and we don’t ship more of these “so called football players” out and players continue to stink on the field, Lowe and the board will have to answer for it.

Volatile and uneasy times.

Just now, VladimirMooc said:

Caldwell was accused in previous jobs of arrogance. And this decision would, in my opinion, totally back up that accusation. I can’t articulate it any better than you and Virtual Insanity already have, but if he is allowed to leave it will be one of the most dispiriting and illogical decisions made by our club in years. 

Yeah, hard to argue with that.  There's a very fine line between "I know best, and here's why" and just plain "I know best".  If he punts Erskine and goes out and picks up a player with legs who can do better than what Erskine could have, then the arrogance is fine.  But if he just brings in meh options, Erskine goes on to star elsewhere (which is perfectly possible) and/or we go down, then it's not a good look at all.

I'd like to think that when Caldwell comes to the board and says that he wants to do something like this, someone - anyone - would step in and say "Gary, that's fucking stupid".  But I get the feeling it's just adoring looks from all, as the Bold Captain of the Ship outlines his Excel plans.

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

Agree on both points. He's still our best player though. Voluntarily punting your best player in any circumstances is completely insane, when it's someone with Erskine's history with the club it's a complete and utter disgrace. 

4 minutes ago, madton said:

Of  all the the signings you boys and Falkirk have signed to date, Cardle is the only one i would have really wanted.  

Think he  will be a good signing for you.

How's the Transfer Window going down the Tail o' the Bank m8?