The Partick Thistle thread

I'd be fucking furious if Caldwell got rid of Erskine. He and Doolan are truly one of those rare pairings that are significantly better than the sum of their parts. We've got a manager bleating on about players needing to have the right attitude, and Erskine has it in fucking spades.

I'd actually go as far as to say that even if his January transfers are otherwise minor improvements on the existing squad, to get rid of Erskine would do more long-term damage to the Club and its culture if results don't improve than pretty much anything else Caldwell might foreseeably do in the next 3 months.

9 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I'd be fucking furious if Caldwell got rid of Erskine. He and Doolan are truly one of those rare pairings that are significantly better than the sum of their parts. We've got a manager bleating on about players needing to have the right attitude, and Erskine has it in fucking spades.

I'd actually go as far as to say that even if his January transfers are otherwise minor improvements on the existing squad, to get rid of Erskine would do more long-term damage to the Club and its culture if results don't improve than pretty much anything else Caldwell might foreseeably do in the next 3 months.

Spot on. 

I’m not convinced at all by these underwhelming signings. All players who have had OK pasts but hardly championship winners and with the rumour were letting one of the clubs longest serving players in Squiddy go who as a previous poster said has spades of the right attitude and loyalty I’m not sure we’re likely to see anything more than just trying to catch Alloa and not finish bottom. The goal posts have shifted. It’s all about survival at this point.

Falkirk have made some signings from premiership clubs and whilst Osman is a shadow of his former self it worries me when I see them also signing early and they’re players I think are of better quality.

I am up for giving Caldwell this window but if he doesn’t produce points and shore up that defense then he’s got to walk before we slid farther back. He’s got to fly out the traps here in the next 3-4 league games in my eyes.

Getting a bit nervous at the fact that Caldwell's signings/releases so far don't appear to be crock of shit.
Makes me worry who he's actually planning to release towards the end of the window...

Joltin’ Joe Cardle is pretty shit, to be honest.

Be prepared for him to cut inside a lot.

53 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Most of us will still be able to easily recall O'Donnell absolutely roasting Cardle to the point that he offered him a square go outside afterwards.

Again though, sad fact of the matter is that he's probably better than what we've got; can't be any worse than Storey surely?

Not sure what his stats were like last season at Dunfermline but I would imagine he teed up a number of goals for Clark - something that Dools hasn't had the fortune of for some time.

Cardle is a winger, I don't think he ever came out on top defensively against someone. 

You would imagine wrong, carry on. Although I'm sure he did assist his last one up in Inverness from a free kick. 

16 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

I’m not convinced at all by these underwhelming signings. All players who have had OK pasts but hardly championship winners and with the rumour were letting one of the clubs longest serving players in Squiddy go who as a previous poster said has spades of the right attitude and loyalty I’m not sure we’re likely to see anything more than just trying to catch Alloa and not finish bottom. The goal posts have shifted. It’s all about survival at this point.

Falkirk have made some signings from premiership clubs and whilst Osman is a shadow of his former self it worries me when I see them also signing early and they’re players I think are of better quality.

I am up for giving Caldwell this window but if he doesn’t produce points and shore up that defense then he’s got to walk before we slid farther back. He’s got to fly out the traps here in the next 3-4 league games in my eyes.

Who are these players of better quality out of interest? 

It appears we're both signing from the same dross market tbh. The only difference is Falkirk fans on here love a transfer window and are more positive about their signings in general whereas we're all miserable c***s. 

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

I think the main difference is Caldwell is a fanny that thinks his squad is fine.

I don't think he does think his squad is fine.

Hence why we have made 4 new signings by Jan 4.

Whether we will actually get any better results remains to be seen of course.

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

I think the main difference is Caldwell is a fanny that thinks his squad is fine.

I don't think Caldwell thinks the squad is fine at all.  4 in and 3 out by the 4th of January would suggest otherwise albeit he'd probably have kept Quitongo if he hadn't battered his girlfriend. 

You'll get no arguments about him being a fanny right enough.

Lets face it, our squad is full of losers who don’t know how to do anything else. These signings are underwhelming but we are hanging around the bottom, hopefully these signings can atleast cause a shift in mentality.

If Mcall can get a team full of absolute gang to challenge for the title maybe, just maybe Caldwell can get us to safety with his own shite.

Getting rid of some of the dross may be as effective as signing new players. Mutumbo who was a recommendation from Yogi Hughes (says it all really 🤦‍♂️) is prime example of a dreadful recruit.
I mean changing the mentality in the locker room and training field will be a big part of this. We’ve got 5-6 more who probably should walk if possible.

Who are these players of better quality out of interest? 
It appears we're both signing from the same dross market tbh. The only difference is Falkirk fans on here love a transfer window and are more positive about their signings in general whereas we're all miserable c***s. 

Fair point. In my opinion I think Falkirk’s signings seem better. But you’re right we are miserable. Harkins is close to finishing playing, Saunders hasn’t played for a year and a half and Cardle has been flash in the pan. Hardly fills one with tinkly feeling of changing our direction but let’s see. We need some grit and guile in the side. None of these guys in my eyes give you that. I’d like a hard nosed leader but hard to come by I suppose.

Hopefully 2-3 more to come in and same to leave. End of window and Jan/Feb is massive. Let’s see the impact. I’ll reserve harsher thoughts and language, as my hope is we do start gaining points and turning this sh*tfest around.

1 minute ago, BdenJag said:

I can’t be the only person that wouldn’t be fussed to see Erskine go from a purely football perspective? Hardly done anything of note for a couple of years.

This.  Much as Erskine is very important to us, he's seemed like he's lost several yards of pace this season.  He can still conjure something out of nothing, but I'm not sure we can afford that kind of luxury at the moment.  Not when we're being treated to the Waitrose Reduced Section of Luxury in Miles Storey.