The Partick Thistle thread

A mate of mine is currently doing a contamination assessment for the land we have earmarked for the training ground. He says the place is a heavily contaminated swamp land, so this may explain the delay.
Others far more in the know than me might have more info though.

I can’t comment on the contaminated land however GB did provide an update for the training ground on the 4th December.
The training ground needs planning permission from the local authority. It’s a staged process so an indeterminate timeframe was given.

A question was asked at the Q&A about the project continuing should we go down again this season (one of the Facebook bangers uploaded this on soundcloud) and GB assured it would proceed due to the business set up with Three Black Cats (we would lease the facility).

On a different note - having watched the post match interview with Squiddy - I think he’s going to move in the transfer window.

Better keep a Saturday in May free, because I can't see anything other than us being in another playoff.  It's basically now going to be a race to see who can bring in enough players to avert the course between us and Falkirk with the "winner" getting the playoff.  Unless we can both improve enough to overhaul Alloa, but they at least look like a competent team.

I've said it before, but the thing that always gets me is the complete lack of movement in the team when we've got the ball. Was Archibald - and now Caldwell - actually instructing this as part of the gameplan?  It certainly seems that way, because that's two managers now where we've played the same slow, ponderous, unimaginative football.  So many times on Saturday we'd have the ball in a promising position, but take two, three, four touches, and think about it until the point that Morton had eleven men, subs, the manager and their entire travelling support behind the ball.  For a team that can ping the ball quickly, or one with any kind of creativity within their ranks, that might not be so bad, but do we have ANYONE in the team - or even the squad - that you could trust to unlock a defence?  We're a team who looks like our only chance is a counter, who steadfastly refuse to counter.  It doesn't matter if you're likely not to get the ball, but you're always going to be harder to pick up when you're actually moving.  I hate the da's in the crowd screaming at every pass going even remotely sideways, but I bet there'd be a lot less if the player in possession actually had options that weren't standing around picking their nose.

Doolan seems to be shying away from coming deep to get the ball now, which is a step in the right direction, but there's no point having him in the box waiting for service when he's surrounded by a gang of absolute shitebags who are never going to give him what he needs.  A few times where he did actually get involved, he had to come slightly deeper, leaving no-one in the middle to receive the eventual ball.  He's definitely lost a few yards, but he's being made to look far worse than he actually is thanks to his supporting cast.

And I'm not usually one to give players anything more than equal blame as the manager and staff, but I fucking hate Miles Storey.  I'm not going to go as far as hoping something awful happens to him, as I'm sure he's a nice guy, but surely something can happen to him that's not a serious injury that keeps him from bringing his insipid style of football to us?  

I'm also never usually one to suggest managers should be punted as quickly as others are, but Caldwell better act quickly when the window opens and get players in.  I expect we'll get a standard 2-0 pumping from United, but then it's three home games in a row.  Lose either of the first two, and I'd get rid.  I'm not convinced that there's no-one out there that could at least steer us to 8th in the fucking Championship.

Edited by forameus

1 minute ago, Maine said:

If there is a keeper coming in on loan I hope we don’t have to pay his wages. Allowing us to punt Lennox and Bell to free up some extra cash to Punt Miles Storey.

How far do you think you could realistically punt Miles Storey?

Or would it be a better idea to just let him do what comes naturally and run in a straight line until he's too far away to matter?

Bell's been hopeless (and might be injured for a while) and Sneddon has sold or at least contributed to 3 goals (Falkirk, QoS, first vs Morton) by rushing off his line and getting caught in no man's land. Lennox didn't come with rave reviews from the Raith fans. 

No idea about this boy though. 

2 minutes ago, Reid said:

We do need a solid keeper. A 20 year old with 11 first team games who was mince at Falkirk is not what we need.

I could understand us bringing in an experienced keeper to get us through, but this makes no sense.

Sneddon has looked good other than his rush of blood to the head at the weekend.  His distribution and handling have been good.

Every young keeper makes mistakes so I don't see any sense in replacing him with an even younger option. 

I’m not sure what is more depressing at the moment. Watching Thistle or coming on hear to read about Thistle.

There is no clearer example of stating the obvious than to say that our current squad of players isn’t collectively anywhere near good enough.

The composition of our squad needs to change in January.

With that in mind, no matter how unpopular Gary Caldwell is or whether his appointment has been a mistake or not, there is a situation that is worse than the one we are presently in. That’s going into the transfer window without a manager.

Some Thistle fans will argue that no manager is the better option right now. It’s not. With no manager it will be virtually impossible to do any transfer business. Who selects the targets to come in and who earmarks those for departure? What player is going to make any kind of commitment to a club going through a managerial appointment process in the knowledge that whoever gets the job might not rate them? They will simply take another, safer, option.

In pre transfer window days it was easier to make a managerial change. Like Thistle did with Sandy Clark many years back. Then a new manager had time to assess his new squad and make changes. A new Thistle manager right now wouldn’t have that luxury. Were we to make a change at the moment it would almost certainly have to involve an in-house appointment. Someone that has knowledge of the squad and knows what is required and is in the position to implement immediate changes. Who would that be? Brian Kerr? Gerry Britton? Scott Allison? Kris Doolan? Is that the route we want to go down right now?

The Club, for better or worse, have put their faith in Gary Caldwell. Having done so they need to back him. They don’t really have any other viable option but to give him the January transfer window. The strategy of the Board right now might well be to cross their fingers and hope that they haven’t made an error in appointing Gary Caldwell. That’s pretty much what I’m doing.