The Partick Thistle thread

I'd like to see a ball winner in next to Bannigan allowing Slater to get forward more but that'll depend on what Uncle Gary brings in during January.

Merry Christmas to all Jags fans. Thankfully no game till Saturday lol

8 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

And now offered a two year deal to Scobbie. Some strange decisions by Caldwell. 

FML...:green

I dislike Yinited for many footballing reasons but that would be right up there...:lol:

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

If we are looking at ex-Jags I'd take a shot on Aaron Taylor-Sinclair...

We're needing to get shot of players to allow us to freshen the squad up the fact ATS has barely played makes you think we'd be open to him leaving. He's only here on a year long deal anyway and has only played 203 minutes in the league to date . That said, he managed the 2nd 45mins against Celtic the other week and we didn't concede, which is something I suppose.

It's been difficult to get any sort of read on him tbh purely based on how little he's played. He was hooked at H/T on the opening day of the season and has barely made it off the bench since. He was culpable for goals against Hibs and Killie and he's looked an absolute liability defensively. Given we've got Tait playing out of position at left back/LWB and ATS sat on the bench it suggests Robinson doesn't trust him in the slightest.

Was ATS as bad defensively when he was with you lot the first time round?

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Was ATS as bad defensively when he was with you lot the first time round?

I didn't notice him being particularly bad defensively on his own, but it was hard to tell due to the way we set up during our promotion season/first season in the top flight. O'Donnell and ATS were basically given license to get up the pitch whenever they wanted, and this Cafu/Roberto Carlos approach worked in the second tier because we were better than everyone else, but in the top flight it meant our defence looked generally pretty pish because Balatoni and Muirhead were regularly left completely exposed.

I'd have thought a few years playing down south and often as a CB in a 3-5-2 would have turned him into a more reliable defensive player. Even if he's regressed from when we last saw him in a Thistle shirt, I'd still absolutely take him back if it was a possibility, though.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I didn't notice him being particularly bad defensively on his own, but it was hard to tell due to the way we set up during our promotion season/first season in the top flight. O'Donnell and ATS were basically given license to get up the pitch whenever they wanted, and this Cafu/Roberto Carlos approach worked in the second tier because we were better than everyone else, but in the top flight it meant our defence looked generally pretty pish because Balatoni and Muirhead were regularly left completely exposed.

I'd have thought a few years playing down south and often as a CB in a 3-5-2 would have turned him into a more reliable defensive player. Even if he's regressed from when we last saw him in a Thistle shirt, I'd still absolutely take him back if it was a possibility, though.

Yeah, the Doncaster fans seem to hate him. He had a really bad injury down there too. He was at Plymouth before we signed him and they seemed fairly 'meh' about him.

We spent last season with Tait playing out of position so there was 100% a position there for ATS, presumably that's why he was brought in, but he's looked nowhere near the starting XI. The games he's played he's generally been caught out with forwards just running off his shoulder (see below).

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Having said all that, I'd think if Thistle are in the market for a left back ATS would be a pretty obvious move as Robinson's on record as saying we need to move "squad" players on which is precisely what ATS is at the moment.

We should be in the market for a left back as we only have Penrice, and even then there's a school of thought he's better in centre midfield where his lack of pace isn't such an issue. Caldwell was adamant at the Q&A that he's a left back, although christ knows what goes on in his head. If we do sign Harkins I wouldn't rule out him being put back to sweeper to tie in with the "philosophy" 

Dodgy source but possibly the kind of player could be looking at...

6'2" defensive midfield. Fleeting appearances with Bournemouth, most if his games seem to have come last season on loan to Yeovil Town.

23 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Dodgy source but possibly the kind of player could be looking at...

6'2" defensive midfield. Fleeting appearances with Bournemouth, most if his games seem to have come last season on loan to Yeovil Town.

If he's anything like our last Bournemouth loanee, I'll pass.

On the return of the Glorious One, it's great for banter but really just reflects how far we've fallen that he's an improvement on what we have.

3 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

If he's anything like our last Bournemouth loanee, I'll pass.

On the return of the Glorious One, it's great for banter but really just reflects how far we've fallen that he's an improvement on what we have.

I'd take Cargill over Keown or McGinty, tbf.