The Partick Thistle thread

14 hours ago, Firhill_Basin said:

I thought even at his peak Cardle was overrated. Nothing but a stepover king. Handing Greg Shields his arse didn't do much to change my mind.

I'd bite yer hand off to have Greig Shields at the moment...:green

Doolan in the ET saying we won’t be dragged into a relegation fight.

Correct. Because we’re already in one.

These kind of soundbites, coupled with the head-in-the-sand nature of yesterday’s AGM, shows we’ve learned absolutely nothing. Sleepwalking into a relegation once is bad enough; twice is just inexcusable.

17 hours ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Low and Britton have played a real blinder with this managerial appointment. Outstanding. 

I agree there's definite signs of improvement over the last two games. Hopefully we can begin to create more chances and finish them off over the next few games. Still getting fucked by individual areas though.

At least we can't lose this weekend. Wonder if we'll see contract extensions til the end of the season for Bannigan and Quitongo? I'm not convinced the latter is a given though Coulibaly's injury probably means we'll certainly offer one.

Would assume everyone on loan will be gone come 1st January.

Looking forward to a handful of Thistle fans jumping into random Falkirk threads in the year 2025 and making posts along the lines of "Were Falkirk missing a few of their key players?" and "At least Falkirk had a full squad available for this match".

Oh no wait, that's right, we're not those Perthshire weirdos that crop up in here from time to time. Nevermind.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

14 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Will be nice not having to read through another match thread of missing key players chat,  because nobody else has to deal with that..

It has probably been a bit strange for the Thistle fans to read about us going on about having players missing.

We are genuinely that shite that McKinnon has had to get us playing in a certain way to scrape points. He has us defending then trying to hit on the break with the pace of Rudden and Petracvius. It wasn't just that we missed those players but it as the fact it fucked up our style of play that has improved us over the last 4 games or so.

January can't come quick enough for us, I'm sure the Thistle fans are thinking exact the same. 

I wasn't at the game on Saturday and admit that whilst listening to it in its entirety on radio, the Sportsound pundits are hardly experts in imparting what is actually happening; I mean Allan Preston repeatedly said Miles Storey had 'bags of ability' and was a 'match-winner'.

However, I simply can't comprehend Caldwell's comments on the game:"It was an outstanding performance away from home, a high pressure game, the bravery in possession, the control of the goal, the understanding of how we wanted to play, a fantastic performance."

To a man, the Sportsound panel said it was an incredibly drab affair. They made particular comment on the fact that we seemed to get within 30 yards of the Falkirk goal before turning back to keep possession - that is not 'bravery in possession'. 

If a performance as 'outstanding' and 'fantastic' is only befitting of a 1-1 draw with the sole team worse off than us in the league, we are much further up the creek than I thought.

1 hour ago, Armand 2 said:

I wasn't at the game on Saturday and admit that whilst listening to it in its entirety on radio, the Sportsound pundits are hardly experts in imparting what is actually happening; I mean Allan Preston repeatedly said Miles Storey had 'bags of ability' and was a 'match-winner'.

However, I simply can't comprehend Caldwell's comments on the game:"It was an outstanding performance away from home, a high pressure game, the bravery in possession, the control of the goal, the understanding of how we wanted to play, a fantastic performance."

To a man, the Sportsound panel said it was an incredibly drab affair. They made particular comment on the fact that we seemed to get within 30 yards of the Falkirk goal before turning back to keep possession - that is not 'bravery in possession'. 

If a performance as 'outstanding' and 'fantastic' is only befitting of a 1-1 draw with the sole team worse off than us in the league, we are much further up the creek than I thought.

If what has been said about Caldwell being in regular contact with Wee Gordon Strachan is true, then it seems he (bafflingly) thinks WGS's media policy is really clever.  The problem with regularly talking absolute shite, though, is that it infuriates and alienates your own fans.  Something he is managing to do really, really quickly, just like his mentor did with Scotland. Same team selection week after week, same nonsense spouted each time after a poor result.  It's Archibald v2.0 at the moment.

I wasn't at the game either, but based on the commentary's description of our insipid, ineffective build up play, and on the result, it's impossible to square his claims of an  "outstanding performance" and "bravery" with a 1-1 draw away to the team at the bottom of the league, having managed to defend our lead for less than 120 seconds.