The Partick Thistle thread

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm sorry to hear this. I met him a few times and he always a pleasure to talk with. It's a shame he wasn't on the best of terms with Thistle after his retirement.

Thistle have previous when it comes to treating legends poorly.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Two successive promotions and kept us up. With a Scottish Cup SF in there as well.

It really was a great few years after the Save The Jags period.

Definitely. If I remember correctly, he took over halfway through season 99/00 and we went on a mad unbeaten run but because of how bad we were before his arrival, we had already blown our chance at promotion. We took off like a rocket the following season and never looked back. We were smashing teams every other week, taking huge away supports everywhere. Amazing memories from that period.

I watched a lot of thistle throughout my university career which coincided almost exactly with his first spell in charge

There’s something more to being a sporting hero than simply being good at your job

Whatever that thing is Lambie had it

His vow of celibacy till Thistle won was the kind of thing that you just wouldn’t get from Arigo Sacchi

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Sad news. Had heard Lambie wasn't in great shape a couple of months back and thought he might have rallied.

So many stories that you could tell but a personal one is when we were playing over in Northern Ireland during pre season prior to our first season in the SPL. 

My old man and I had went over and had taken my granny who loved Lambie. We were getting the ferry back to Stranraer after playing Portadown and the Thistle team happened to be on the same boat. We were waiting in the departure lounge when Lambie and Gerry Collins came over and sat beside us, Lambie turning on the charm and sharing his hipflask with my granny whilst Scott McLean enquired whether any grub was going before attempting to eat a dry Pot Noodle. 

The vision of Armand One running up a hill in Ruchill Park with a tyre tied to his waist whilst Lambie shouted from the bottom is one of my all time favourites.

If anyone deserves a stand named after them, it's Lambie. 

A legend whose likes we'll never see again.

A gem with some huge flaws but all the better for them. I am so sorry to hear about John. What a character. Great company. [emoji17]

Last 24hrs I’ve been watching interviews with John and listening to stories. A really genuine guy who had a massive heart. “I’m a Thistle man” he said on Jagzone. In my opinion our greatest modern day manager and one of our most passionate supporters. I’d be for placing a statue outside Firhill with a pigeon on his arm. I’m sad but also encouraged, as his imprint will forever be on our club. That makes me smile. No matter the league position our club is in a really healthy position and he played a role in that. A family of supporters, a vibrant youth academy and new training facility coming, a board (who even though we can disagree with) truly love the club and a management team who kept us in the top flight for 5 years. It’s time to turn up and sing and chant the Jags on to see if we can stay up. John would want us too do that. If anything we can sing his name this next home game and enjoy remembering the amazing times we had with him as our leader. Thanks John. We’ll miss you.

Other than swapping Dundee & St J away games in the running order that's a reasonable set of post -split fixtures. Although as I just tweeted, every time we've been relegated from the top division, it's been confirmed against either Dundee or Dundee United so that last day trip to Dens is pretty ominous.

Advance train tickets are available for sub £20 if you want to chance whether we'll still be in it at that point.

Edited by Fuctifano

All the other TV kick off times have been confirmed, including all the last day top 6 games kicking off at 1230 so as to ensure there’s no jiggery pokery.

All the bottom 6 games on 12th May are showing as 3pm so I’m assuming that is it and they won’t be televising any of the games.

I did some number crunching this evening.

We are actually pretty good at home this season against bottom-six opposition. Although Ross County are unbeaten at home against the bottom 6, we have a better overall record in terms of points per game because we've only lost one (Dundee) and haven't drawn any. If it weren't for the psychological position we're in and how bad our form *generally* is at the moment we'd have plenty reason for believing we could take 6-9 points from our three post-split home games.

We average 2.5 points per game at home against bottom-six opposition. This actually makes us the best home team in the bottom-six round robin on a points per game basis. The bad news is that we've played and are playing fewer home games than the other teams in the round robin, and we're also the worst away team.

On the up-side, we have an away game against the worst home team (Dundee) and an away game against the only team we've beaten away from home in the league this season (St Johnstone).

tl;dr if this was Football Manager and we weren't captained by a t-shirt salesman, or if we'd taken some actual fucking points from top six teams at home this season, you'd actually back us to have a fighting chance of staying up.

Edited by Ad Lib

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/5-to-go-post-split-ticket-deals-and-free-supporters-buses/

"In addition the Club will also provide free supporters buses for the two away trips – St Johnstone and Dundee."

"The team now face the equivalent of five cup finals and the players must use their undoubted ability and determination to fight to keep this Club in the Premiership. To help them achieve that, your support has never been more important.

“So, for the two away games at St Johnstone and Dundee, Thistle will pay the full cost of supporters buses. For the three home games against Hamilton Accies, Ross County and Motherwell we are offering a three match package priced at £45 for adults and £30 for concessions.

“At our first home game – suitably to be played against Accies – there will be a range of tributes to the late great John Lambie, more details of which will be released closer the time. Ticket prices for this game will be £15 for adults and £10 for concessions.

“We hope that these initiatives will allow every fan who wants to see Thistle in these important games to do so. It is still all to play for so I’m calling on every Jags fan to rally behind the Club they love for one final push. Get behind our boys and be the 12th man that has been so important when the team has needed you in the past. Get behind the team, together we can do this, together we are Thistle!”

I've been wallowing in misery a fair bit recently over all things Thistle but that sounds like a very good deal tbh - it'll vary depending on where you're coming from, how you'd normally travel to the games and what ticket band you fall into but I'd hazard a guess that the free buses more or less halves the total cost of going to Dundee and Perth from Glasgow to watch the games in question.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

'The team now face the equivalent of five cup finals'.

That's poor tabloid jargon, particularly when our record in cup tournaments is borne in mind.

Much more appropriate to state: 'The team now face 5 games that will define whether or not we deserve to maintain our status in the division'.