The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

Unless he walks of his own accord, I would say the chances of that happening are zilch. We are not a sacking club so we won't ditch a manager with 6 games left. Pretty sure if we do go down the board will be happy to give him to December to see if he can make amends. If we are struggling he will be gone!

I honestly believe that we need a change of manager regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season. Even if we do survive, I can’t imagine there being much enthusiasm for another Archie led campaign in the Premiership.

45 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I honestly believe that we need a change of manager regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season. Even if we do survive, I can’t imagine there being much enthusiasm for another Archie led campaign in the Premiership.

I have no faith in him.
Our form since the split last season has been a complete disgrace. Almost 1 full year of being shite.

I reckon that even some utter rocket like McIntyre would produce better results than him.

I don’t think he’s a bad manager by any means, I just think that he’s run his course with us. A mutual parting of ways could benefit him as well as the club. I genuinely believe our squad shouldn’t be where it is and that a fresh management team could lift us out of our predicament.

The situation doesn’t feel as hopeless as it did when we were last relegated from the top flight. We had a horrible squad and the writing was on the wall from the very beginning.

Theres a good stats thread on WAT. Some quite eye opening statistics. Basically, the season is currently very similar, at least statistically. to Murdo's season, and that was when you were guaranteed four games against both of the Old Firm and the other top clubs regardless of position.

3 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

The situation doesn’t feel as hopeless as it did when we were last relegated from the top flight. We had a horrible squad and the writing was on the wall from the very beginning.

Definitely nowhere near as bad as that. We've got what would be a very decent squad (again, on paper :whistle) if we are in the Championship next season, including a couple of very promising youngsters.

Of course, not everyone under contract would stay with us. I'm sure guys like Keown, Barton & Osman would want away if we did go down, but even still, it's night and day compared to back in 2003 when we had absolutely f**k all.

If we do go down, I wouldn't be against giving him more time to send us straight back up, but if he goes, I wouldn't exactly be upset.  In fact, I'd probably rather he leave us after having saved us from relegation, on good terms.  Still think (for at least ~14 hours) that we're more likely to stay up than go down, either miraculously digging ourselves out or getting through a playoff.  Lose tonight and that'll likely evaporate.

I'm in the camp of, if we stay up then Archie deserves till around Christmas, if we go down then keep Archie unless he wants away

I just don't want to go into a situation where we could sack Archie and have no idea who the replacement is, then we are even further behind than ususal come transfer window time

On 31/03/2018 at 16:33, Thistle_do_nicely said:

a heavy defeat against County and Archie is gone, methinks. If he's not gone already, that is.

Think he's done. Get him Mutual Consent'd and see who applies.

We could theoretically keep him for the Championship campaign and we'll hopefully keep a few of the key squad members that should be good enough at that level (Erskine, Doolan, Elliot) but the players have stopped giving a shit since, what, the post-split fixtures last season?

7 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Complete rebuild required next season. Relying on Erskine and Doolan is Archibaldspeak. The club is in the mire. Still, the shiny new Academy will attract top Championship players.

They'd be fine for the second tier (well, Doolan would, Erskine might be totally done).

Tonight we could have done with Duffy in the dugout tbf. Players were spineless, no fight and completely void of any ideas. We can either keep Archie and be playing championship football next year and do some rebuilding (I'm not opposed to that), or sack him and and get someone in for the post-split who can crack some heads and at least try to keep us in the division (I'm not opposed to that). As a club we're in good shape administratively and financially, our support is pretty loyal and we'd be OK, having a chance on coming back up next year. End of next year we will also have the best facilities outside OF in central belt.

Archie looks miserable and is too laid back in my opinion.  He doesnt seem right. Also not seen Shaggy in ages. There has to be some unrest and honestly whatever the club decides I'll be right behind them. Archie & Shaggy are both legends and have brought great memories but no one is bigger than the institution. #wearethistle #PTFC