The Partick Thistle thread

Penrice played left back at Livi and played centre-half at Airdrie in a two alongside Devine because Barton was needed in midfield because Osman was out and Bannigan was rested due to the turf.

Barton hasn't been played as part of a back three yet this season and that's probably where he'll be most useful. However, as everyone has mentioned our lack of centre-miss has meant he's been in the middle.

McCarthy has had a very stop start season with development suspensions and little injuries meaning that he's not really match fit.

Personally, I'd put Woods in and move Barton back tonight. Having not played much football in months and months I'd hope he'd have some hunger which we've been majorly lacking. Also, Barton pretty good in the air which should help us combat any long balls Motherwell use since as far as I k ow they only have Bowman with Fisher and Moult out.

As an aside, if Barton was to drop back, who would you drop?

19 minutes ago, AitchisonJag said:

Penrice played left back at Livi and played centre-half at Airdrie in a two alongside Devine because Barton was needed in midfield because Osman was out and Bannigan was rested due to the turf.

Barton hasn't been played as part of a back three yet this season and that's probably where he'll be most useful. However, as everyone has mentioned our lack of centre-miss has meant he's been in the middle.

McCarthy has had a very stop start season with development suspensions and little injuries meaning that he's not really match fit.

Personally, I'd put Woods in and move Barton back tonight. Having not played much football in months and months I'd hope he'd have some hunger which we've been majorly lacking. Also, Barton pretty good in the air which should help us combat any long balls Motherwell use since as far as I k ow they only have Bowman with Fisher and Moult out.

As an aside, if Barton was to drop back, who would you drop?

Would be Keown to drop out for me with Turnbull moving back into the centre if you were dropping Barton back. That would leave a problem at left wing back though, although to be fair there is going to be a problem in that area no matter what you do. Turnbull at left back in a four might be the least worse option. 

I suspect there will be a couple of changes tonight. Woods for Barton in midfield and I wonder if we are nursing Doolan with an injury whether he can play two games in a row, albeit he like the rest was poor at Kilmarnock. If he can't then Storey for Doolan which gives us a bit more pace. We'll need the midfield to push up quickly though if Storey operates in wide areas otherwise he'll be expending energy for little reward. 

Oh and by the way, before some c**t gibs the line "who could replace Archie????" I sat down for 5 minutes there and looked at the list of Scottish managers alone who would probably could make a case for the job in some way, or another.
Jim Duffy - Got Morton promoted at the first attempt, made a national cup semi-final, stabilised the club in the Championship. Reinvented himself definitely.
Jack Ross - Kept St. Mirren up, has them challenging and left Alloa in a strong position.
Stephen Aitken - Done great at clubs with tiny budgets in Stranraer and Dumbarton.
David Hopkin - Was relegated in half a season, but won the league at a canter and will probably make the play-offs in his first season back.
Jim McIntyre - Won a cup at Ross County, was doing reasonable, sacked for less than Archie is currently doing.
My point is, you can pick faults in any individual candidate up against Archie, but to say if the manager leaves that no one could do a better job is just lazy as f**k.

Only one of those has done anything in the top league - not sure that is what we need

19 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Only one of those has done anything in the top league - not sure that is what we need

I'm not sure hanging on by the fingernails every spring or pissing a top-six finish up the wall is really much to shout about. (Though I admit to enjoying the former.) 

On 12/12/2017 at 06:08, AFCDannyFTH said:

From an outsider looking in, watching Saturday's highlights showed that your players are definitely still playing for your manager.

It may have been a big game, but in those conditions and on that pitch, luck is always going to come into it and with the goals you conceded, it was pretty clear that the luck went in Killie's favour!

Had you been a bit more fortunate with your chances, the result would've been a fair bit different! 

Keep your heads up, and don't go down. Please. I'd much rather see the back of Killie or Hamilton, who have both been stinking up the league for years, regardless of how many fannies think Steve Clarke is the messiah. Get those plastic pitches to f**k.

Delighted to have called it. Mon Thistle! :rolleyes:

Gary Fraser looked more shattered when the clock hit 90 tonight than anyone else on the pitch. And he'd only been there for about 15 minutes.

Archie mentioned on the radio that we're hoping to have Osman back soon. Whether that meant playing, training or what, f**k knows.

51 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Gary Fraser looked more shattered when the clock hit 90 tonight than anyone else on the pitch. And he'd only been there for about 15 minutes.

Archie mentioned on the radio that we're hoping to have Osman back soon. Whether that meant playing, training or what, f**k knows.

Apparently just awaiting the okay from his surgeon to get back into full training although he’s being hanging about the gym a lot. So hopefully he’ll be good to go in a couple of weeks.

Thought Fraser played like a young boy who just wanted the ball all the time and was desperate to impress, despite not being able to do what he was attempting. He’s clearly way off the pace, and his over-eagerness to prove himself for a contract extension affected the team when he came on tonight.

8 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Despite being utterly shite for weeks we're only 1 point worse off now than we were at this point last season, and with the same goal difference.

#math #top6

We're 7 goals worse off. Also last season we were 5 points off 6th. Now we're 9.

Edited by Fuctifano

Yeah the big difference which is concerning is that our rivals are all better this season. Killie, County, Accies are all picking up points where we haven’t. Last year they didn’t. Even Dundee with McCann look sharper however my hope is they remain inconsistent. Saints are however not as productive and we just beat a good steelmen side.

We have to be gritty and work hard for points. It’s not something Archie has built the team to do and so we remain a tad cuddly.

I noticed tonight we were more direct and less possession based in our play. It worked well with two up front in Sammon and Storey.

Let’s hope Archie is working out how to play with the players we have and to their strengths.

Pre-contract time is soon and was taking a look at the squad list, below is everyone out of contract/loan ends at the end of this season. A few too many important players for my liking but I'm a negative b*****d.

Ryan Scully, Mustapha Dumbuya, Callum Booth, Jordan Turnbull (on loan from Coventry), Daniel Devine, Paul McGinn, Milan Nitriansky, James Penrice, Ross Fleming, Abdul Osman, Stuart Bannigan, Gary Fraser, Steven Lawless, Mark Lamont, Connor Sammon (on loan from Hearts), Kevin Nisbet, Neil McLaughlin

Edited by cilitbang

Pre-contract time is soon and was taking a look at the squad list, below is everyone out of contract/loan ends at the end of this season. A few too many important players for my liking but I'm a negative b*****d.
Ryan Scully, Mustapha Dumbuya, Callum Booth, Jordan Turnbull (on loan from Coventry), Daniel Devine, Paul McGinn, Milan Nitriansky, James Penrice, Ross Fleming, Abdul Osman, Stuart Bannigan, Gary Fraser, Steven Lawless, Mark Lamont, Connor Sammon (on loan from Hearts), Kevin Nisbet, Neil McLaughlin
Keep : booth, devine, Penrice, osman, bannigan
Not fussed: McGinn, turnbull, lawless
Bin the rest

Hate to say it but can we really afford to keep him when he's going to be missing the bulk of a season through injury?
I totally get this. I'm probably being a bit biased towards him but I do think we look better with him in the side than out despite the fact he picks up bookings pretty much every match he does play

If we stay up then we should try and re-sign the majority of those out of contract to keep some squad consistency.
A massive clear out in the hope we can bring in better players in each position a bad idea.
Move players like Devine on once we have found a better replacement.

Although I would bin on Dumbuya and Fraser as they are always injured, and Nitransky and Scully as they are terrible.

If we go down then they are all arseholes and can gtf.

f**k me I thought we had a boy on loan from AC for a second