The Partick Thistle thread

At the time, I read the Panel Report following the Hearing. From the evidence given, my own impression was that if anyone was convinced by McMillan's hard luck story, I hope that they are on the Jury if I am ever on a Murder Rap, caught with a Smoking Gun.

Even if his story of his drink being spiked is true, he was out on a heavy all-day drinking session at a time when he was unable to play for Thistle and on medication for an illness - a real model professional. It must have been poor quality cocaine as neither McMillan or any of his mates noticed any change in his behaviour after he took the allegedly spiked drink.

In fairness, a two year ban for taking a performance reducing drug does seem harsh but any suggestion that he was badly treated by Thistle is way off the mark and does McMillan even less credit than the offence he was banned for.

He must have said that he was innocent about a dozen times on his wee interview on BBC Sportsound.  Strange as he seemed aware of strict liability and he was found to be guilty on that count.

11 minutes ago, wattie_rojas said:

Why would the boy put cocaine in a drink? It goes up yer beak or on the gums not in a pint. The boy's a haver. 

His reliable mate who took the rap for it was previously shot on the arse and couldn't remember what happened when put on the stand. It's best not to try and make any sense of what he says.

Agreed.

Laughed out loud when i read..."I am the victim of a crime"...that's the words of a man who is deeply lost in a world of his own arrogance.

Any club should be very careful in signing this moron.

Indeed, anyone ever seen the reaction when you put cocaine in a pint? We got shown a video of it at work and you'd genuinely have to be blind not to notice the difference.

His mates obviously took the rap with the promise McMillan would square him away later.

Hes not. Hes a complete rocket.

Can't leave it hanging there....

Just listened to his interview there. What a brass neck the guy has. Disappointing to hear John Hughes and Kenny MacIntyre giving encouragement to McMillan's idea that he's somehow the victim here.

Thistle's statement clearly and concisely dismantled his claims that he was abandoned or "thrown to the wolves" as that imbecile Hughes kept suggesting.

Best of luck to the next club stupid enough to employ him. 

19 hours ago, Rednyella said:

Given the one goal losses this last two weeks against arguably the best two sides outside of Celtic this season, I, for one, am quite happy in regards the look of the squad and what Archie has been able to mold through the pre-season. I am sure going into the next game after the international break we will be in good shape and may even see Elliott back in the squad as another option for us as a utility player. However watching Liam Lindsay at the back it is quite evident that we need a centre back, not least because if he or Devine gets injured we will look quite vulnerable. An older head with some experience would be nice but with window about to shut I am not confident this player will be available. In midfield Bannigans injury is worrisome as even if he returns after the new year it will take another 3-4 months for him to get back to his best, if he doesn't break down again. This season is shot for him unfortunately. Therefore we really should be looking to bring in another box to box midfielder. On the bright side Ryan Edwards seems to be working hard to cement his claim for a midfield spot but whilst a talent, he is not quite a Bannigan replacement. I admit my patience has run out on Sean Welsh. In my eyes he's had more than enough chances to show he is capable since his return and surely Archie knows he is not good enough for that central midfield role? Too many mistakes and just not enough quality. In the end we should be able to stay up with this squad, but without two more players to add competition and cover I am not wholly confident due to issues in defence and midfield we will make a proper tilt to get into the top 6.

Another area that will define our season and I've been thinking about is how we move through the games ahead and play against the usual top 4-6 teams. This opening 3 matches we have shown we will compete and beat teams around us. ICT win on opening day shows proves this, but the last two weeks against the Dons and Jambos, whilst good performances, as a whole (minus bad-luck or a blunder), we are short yet again in getting points on the board. Against the OF we are known for being traditionally poor and I think Archie needs this season for the team to show when we play Celtic and Sevco we can compete and get points, if not wins at Firhill. In the past we have taken points from Aberdeen, but Hearts we've really struggled. The blue side of the city who are just finding their feet and are obviously not as deep as Celtic, I am sure we are all excited to test the team against them. For too long we have just accepted that we play poorly versus the old firm. Last season we almost got a fantastic result at Celtic Park in a gusty performance but yet again we walked away with a hard luck story. To be in the top 6 you have to compete with all teams in the league and pick up away wins coupled with 75%> wins in your home games.I am not sure we are there yet even with the players we have in place. St. Johnstone, Ross County, ICT, Dundee who have made the top 6 in the past have taken points from these top 3-4 teams and it should be a goal of team to make that mark. Archie is right that we don't take our chances, but it has been a problem for the last 4 seasons whilst losing goals at vital moments (i.e. Watt on Saturday).

Archie has done a great job with the resources he has, he's created a real team ethic, but to get to top 6, in my eyes, the above league thoughts, need to be a goal of the team. I am sure it is plastered up in the locker room and we'll see some great moments this season especially as the attacking players we have in the squad are as exciting as I can remember, but does anyone else have the same feelings as myself? Please don't get me wrong, I am very positive about the team and our abilities but I can't help but think we are just one or two quality players short at this moment to truly be a potential top 6 side and we are not far from emulating what St. Johnstone have been able to successfully achieve with similar resources and fan base.  

We still have the pervasive cuddly toy attitude, unfortunately. We routinely shit the bed against the Old Firm and I'm not at all hopeful that Archibald can amend that this season.

As soon as I saw he had been released, I knew he was only going to end up back at us. That is a bit gutting as I thought we could do better. Suppose if it's between having him on a relatively cheap wage or having no cover, I would take him on a one-year deal.