The Partick Thistle thread

I think keeping the squad together is the most important thing.  There's only so long they can keep rebuilding the squad each year with decent signings.  We lost Osbourne, and got Osman.  Lost Fox and got Cerny.  How long can we keep that luck up for?  If we keep everyone around, then we shouldn't need too many additions - just look for some value down South on short-term contracts.

There's not many players I would chuck at this stage. As said, keeping Lawless, Osman, Seaborne is the priority. Pogba is presumably staying, I'd like Amoo and Edwards signed up for next season. Assume German and Bannigan are gone, with Erskine taking German's space in the squad. I think it's going to be largely a case of bringing players in if others leave, with maybe 1 or max 2 signings to flesh the squad out a bit more for the European campaign. 

Quite happy with us dipping the free agent market down south as previous. As Armand says, sod all value up here for us unless we are alot more megabucks in the next window. Unsure how ambitious we will be in terms of new players but Erskine is hardly a massive statement of intent.

dont know if I would agree with their being little value up here as the likes of Stewart at Dundee, Robertson and spittal at Dundee United all came from lower league teams. There's a fair others tipped to do well too Alston and Nathan Austin. Look for gems in the English leagues but I definitely wouldn't rule out continuing to monitor the Scottish leagues as well at the end of the day both Doolan and Erskine originally came from the juniors

One player I forgot to mention last night who I could see us being interested in especially if Lawless departs is Danny Carmichael at Hibs. Seems to have struggled for game time this season*. Would maybe be a loan deal as I'm sure he signed a two-year deal in the summer but would seem to fit our player profile.

*ETA: Absence would appear to be injury-related so maybe not.

Edited by Armand 2

There's not many players I would chuck at this stage. As said, keeping Lawless, Osman, Seaborne is the priority. Pogba is presumably staying, I'd like Amoo and Edwards signed up for next season. Assume German and Bannigan are gone, with Erskine taking German's space in the squad. I think it's going to be largely a case of bringing players in if others leave, with maybe 1 or max 2 signings to flesh the squad out a bit more for the European campaign. 

Amoo yes but I don't share your enthusiasm for Edwards. He is quick and works hard but I see nothing that would lead me to believe he would be anything other than a bit part player at this level.In the second half on Saturday Archie pushed him forward to harass their back line stopping them from being able to do anything other than punt hopeful balls up the pitch, a role he performed admirably and took his goal well. But it in the first half he was really poor. I admit I haven't seen every appearance he's made but I've been left unimpressed by those I have.

Gary Fraser is another player who seems generally popular with the fans but I think his lack of pace will always hold him back. He is Ross Forbes slow. He's not very good in the air, rarely tackles as can't keep up with his target, makes the occasional good cross-field pass and scored a good goal once. He has plenty of ability but I fear he is just too slow to ever put it to it's full use. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.

Amoo yes but I don't share your enthusiasm for Edwards. He is quick and works hard but I see nothing that would lead me to believe he would be anything other than a bit part player at this level.In the second half on Saturday Archie pushed him forward to harass their back line stopping them from being able to do anything other than punt hopeful balls up the pitch, a role he performed admirably and took his goal well. But it in the first half he was really poor. I admit I haven't seen every appearance he's made but I've been left unimpressed by those I have.

To be fair, Edwards was played completely out of position in the first half on Saturday. He is never a holding midfielder in his life. I'm also yet to be convinced by him, but I'd like to see him get a chance in his natural position before making my mind up. The couple of times he's played in the number 10 role, he's looked pretty decent IMO.

Gary Fraser has scored a fair few goals for us and is at least prepared to take a shot which sometimes is the best option rather than playing it out wide for a usually crap cross into the box.

I feel he does a good job when playing further forward as he does lack the defensive qualities of Osman and Bannigan.

I think Erskine has been brought in as Archie thinks / knows Lawless is off. Would be great to have both of them, but I think the wee man has made up his mind.

Lawless has been a great signing. He's improved year on year since arriving and will be missed more than the likes of Higginbotham who was never as willing as Lawless is to chase back and defend when required. I'm looking forward to the return of Erskine though and seeing him make those wonderful runs from midfield and bursting into the opposition box again. In fact I feel a little emotional just thinking about it. 

Disagree. Think he's waiting to see what offers he gets and if we can near enough match the best of them he'll be happy to stay.

exactly besides Erskine was signed beginning of January. Cerny singed middle of Jan and the rumours were that lawless would be next to sign. It was only when Mixu poked his beak in and offered him a deal that things seemed to stall

I think keeping the squad together is the most important thing.  There's only so long they can keep rebuilding the squad each year with decent signings.  We lost Osbourne, and got Osman.  Lost Fox and got Cerny.  How long can we keep that luck up for?  If we keep everyone around, then we shouldn't need too many additions - just look for some value down South on short-term contracts.

Lost Sinclair got (eventually) Booth. Lost O'Donnell got Dumbuya. Even losing Higginbotham who hadn't kicked a ball in some time and replacing him with Amoo has been a pretty clear success. 

On Edwards, I think he's looked good every time I've seen him (wasn't there on Saturday). His debut he wasn't on the same wavelength as the rest of the team but technically I thought he looked very good and worked hard. I think he's the first player we've had in quite a while that looks capable of getting quite a few goals with well timed runs from midfield.

Nesbitt is experiencing life at the other end of the Premiership table on loan at Partick Thistle.

He might not be starting every game for Alan Archibald’s side but he’s convinced that his spell at the Jags will stand him in good stead for the future.

He said: “It’s been a good experience for me, better than the Development League with Celtic.

“The physicality of the Premiership is the biggest difference.

“I played against St Johnstone and the first 15 minutes was a bit of a shock. My mate Darnell Fisher tried to give me a wee nudge but I just skipped right by him.

“I settled down after that.

“We’ve had a tough spell of games but we could still get into the top six. Even when I’m not starting – I really feel part of it at Partick.

“Even when I’m sitting on the bench, I feel I need to be ready.

“The manager at Celtic just told me to go there and work hard, play games and show confidence.

“I’ve got a new deal at Celtic so when I go back next season or the one after, it’ll be about trying to get into the team.â€

Sounds like he's open to staying at Thistle for one more year. Would probably be good for him if he gets game time.

Edited by Vbhoy

He was brilliant against St Johnstone but woeful against Motherwell.

Not surprising, he's still raw and likely to be inconsistent. Coaching staff at Celtic also felt that he had some physical development to do.

I think Nesbitt's physicality is pretty impressive for someone his age (and position). He needs to work on defensive discipline but that will come with game time. 

Had to look up what Deila said back in Decembaer

“He’s very creative, like Kris Commons, Tom Rogic and Scott Allan,†he explained. “He’s the type that can beat people. He can play people through and is very good at scanning and looking forward.

“He’s still physically not developed yet and if he can do that as well, he has the potential to have good legs as well.â€

You might be right, it looks like he's talking about conditioning and not just strength.

Edited by Vbhoy