The Partick Thistle thread

I like that you're doing this, it's an excellent project. You'd done your research and knew about Davie McParland, which is more effort than scottish sports hacks go to.

You try too hard with the comedy angle and it comes off as seriously cheesy and condescending. The pub conversation at the beginning nearly put me off entirely, and undid a lot of goodwill I had as I started reading. 

People from the middle classes getting a kick out of Glasgow patois and working class "authenticity", while turning their nose up at the people who talk in that way are becoming more of a thing now (see "scottish twitter", and your article) but the side-eye swipe at Maryhill's "unique character" left me fuming. Who do you think you're writing for? Do you think all the Jags fans reading that article are from Milgnavie? Most Jags fans on here will have supported them because of locality, either their own or, in my case, my father's. My granny lived in Maryhill, so I have nothing but affection for it, and growing up it was one of my favourite places to visit. 

As I said I like that you're doing this project, but you have to bear a few things in mind. 

You're highly privileged being able to do this. Being able to fund your own trips to these grounds, while having weekends off to do it, it something most people don't have, so be aware of this privilege and show compassion for those who don't. It's called humility and, if you can show that in your writing, you'll have a tonne of goodwill.

For whose edification is this? This article is written as if the whole project is to promote yourselves, with the club and it's supporters secondary characters. It has the feel of a victorian explorer reporting back on his trip to the Congo as if he was in amongst absolute savages instead of being in a complex culture he was delighted to be able to learn from. You guys are young, and having grown up in social media you won't have learned humility yet. It's a hard road, but it's the difference between being a McIlvanney, or a Graham Speirs (and always, always try to be a McIlvanney).

This will probably play well amongs the wee dafties in our support whose ideas (never mind their physical selves) haven't started shaving yet as it is similar to a lot of social media output.  

Don't be discouraged though. Just be yourselves and be genuine.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Tour of the Terraces said:

We are 2 bloggers who travel around all the clubs in Scotland as part of our Tour. We write about our experiences at the club and analyse our day out, rating the visit.

Look to see what we said about YOUR club, Partick Thistle when we attended Firhill. 

Follow us on Twitter: tourotterraces

https://touroftheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/08/16/partick-thistle-f-c-the-match-programme-5/

Oooft, what a pair of c***s.

3 hours ago, Tour of the Terraces said:

We are 2 bloggers who travel around all the clubs in Scotland as part of our Tour. We write about our experiences at the club and analyse our day out, rating the visit.

Look to see what we said about YOUR club, Partick Thistle when we attended Firhill. 

https://touroftheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/08/16/partick-thistle-f-c-the-match-programme-5/

Only managed to read half of that, condescending pish with a good amount of "patter" that was chronic, trying far, far to hard to push that into the article. 

4 hours ago, Tour of the Terraces said:

Well that was absolutely terrible. No wonder us millennials get such a bad reputation. f**k sake.

I was wondering what Joe Hart the comedy goalie was up to these days. He's gone back to uni and is writing eye-bleedingly bad blogs.
"We’re sure a conversation resembling this has happened somewhere in the annals of a Weegie boozer"
Are you, aye?

I stopped here

How many fans have been barred from pubs because they support Thistle?

It's a Mural not a fkn Mosaic btw

The inference of you being privileged (and that doesn't mean you're gentry any more than "middle class" does) was in the condescending and fairly out of touch manner with which you presented. On retrospect I do think it was that you were trying to hard to play to a demographic you don't adequately understand. You're young, though, and you'll hopefully learn from that.

I did get the nuggets of affection for the club, and for scottish football. I really enjoyed the pictures (I forgot how lovely our pitch is, for example) and, as I said, the attempts to provide historical context were nice.

Just stick to what you're good at and what you know. The paragraph at the start with the fictional conversation in the pub was unnecessary and will have put people's backs up from the get go. That doesn't seem to be your strength. You're not Thistle supporters or, by the looks of it, Glaswegians. Own that, and own that you don't understand the city. Being honest about that will get people on side, especially when you show you've taken the time to read up on the club, and to praise the cracking mural outside (a lot of people don't know about that, for instance).