The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Intrigued for a few reasons - he didn't want to come out of retirement for us (or Falkirk) when we were playing shite but now we've won a few games he fancies it? Maybe he's not getting as much media work as he thought? 

Also raises concerns about Coulibaly (and Roy and Mansell although I guess those two will be on buttons or potentially nothing in Mansells case) 

Concerns were raised about Roy and Mansell the minute they both stepped on the football pitch and resembled raffle winners. Both quite clearly not good enough. 

Happy with McDonald, hasn’t played in a while but good experience and scoring record. Even as an option off the bench he’s worth a punt. 

If it's simply because Roy and Mansell aren't up to task and he can do a job off the bench then great.
If it's because Caldwell reckons a 35 year old striker who has spent the season so far being a pundit is the man to keep us up then I'm slightly terrified. 
I presume Caldwell thinks he is a man who could improve the team and therefore make a contribution to us staying up.
Sounds like risk-free post January window signing to me.

I doubt that any one seriously thinks that Mcdonald 'is the man to keep us up'. If we didn't have a squad capable of doing that already then the signing of one player, just about any player, isn't going to transform our prospects. But the fact that we were still working on bringing in a striker almost up to the window closing indicates that the manager still felt there was a need there. Mcdonald is clearly not a long term signing but he has bags of experiences, scored a decent number of goals at this level with United last season and he is also a horrible wee shite to play against. We need, for want of a better word, a bit of nastiness up front. He was available and I reckon more than worth a punt till the end of the season.

Am I the only person that thinks this is a joke of a signing? 
Has there ever been a scenario where a veteran striker has come out of retirement after the best part of a year (to play at a decent level*) and actually done well? 
This is a worrying signing for me...
I don't know why you're worried. If he's no use then we're no worse off.
Anyway...his cheery wee face, chirpy personality and general joi de vivre is bound to lift the dressing room.

2 hours ago, Partick Monkey said:

Am I the only person that thinks this is a joke of a signing? 

Has there ever been a scenario where a veteran striker has come out of retirement after the best part of a year (to play at a decent level*) and actually done well? 

This is a worrying signing for me...

He wasn't a striker, but Paul Scholes didn't disgrace himself at all when he was ordered out of retirement by Sir Alex after less than a year in his slippers and cigars.

Indeed, seem to remember him scoring a last minute winner v Man City.

I’d assume Caldwell spent the entire transfer window trying to bring in someone better but couldn’t so he had to look at alternatives.
I don’t believe McDonald was our No1 target.

If the choice was taking a punt on McDonald or no one I’d easily choose McDonald.
If I he scores even 1 goal then he’ll have scored more than Roy and Mansell.

Just now, Lord Rosebury said:

They don't play the same positions: Coulibaly isn't a centre forward. 

Technically, I never said that he is.

And anyway, he's an attacking player who can quite easily (and has done on numerous occasions) play as a CF.