The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, the_paulo said:

Am I mental in thinking McCarthy can play in that sort of position?

I'm not sure. He certainly has to settle on a role within the team. Unlike others I thought he was pretty poor last night and was guilty of ball watching at their goal. Should come on to a game with a couple of run outs in the next few games.

I'm not sure. He certainly has to settle on a role within the team. Unlike others I thought he was pretty poor last night and was guilty of ball watching at their goal. Should come on to a game with a couple of run outs in the next few games.

Agree with this. He also looked fucked after about 10 minutes. Assuming that’s because he’s missed a bit of preseason through injury, though.

Agree with this. He also looked fucked after about 10 minutes. Assuming that’s because he’s missed a bit of preseason through injury, though.

He always looks like that tbf. He has zero pace.

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

I am really surprised that Stevie Lawless is still without a club. 

Can Lawless play out wide? I can't remember what kind of player he is but recall him scoring a lot of goals the season you were promoted. We're still after a couple of forward thinking players so hoping we might put an offer in if he remains without a club for much longer. 

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Can Lawless play out wide? I can't remember what kind of player he is but recall him scoring a lot of goals the season you were promoted. We're still after a couple of forward thinking players so hoping we might put an offer in if he remains without a club for much longer. 

His main position is wide left, but cutting inside to link up with the strikers/attacking midfielders instead of playing as a winger.

He did score a lot for us in this division, and was a good player for a few seasons in the Premiership as well. Should still be strong at this level, but his impact on the team has regressed in the past couple of seasons in the top flight, to the point where last year he only scored or assisted something like 3 goals. I think he'll still sign for someone like Hamilton or Livingston in that league, though.

1 hour ago, TurbineTon said:

Night and day between first and second half for both teams last night. We totally dominated the second half against a team that looked to have frozen. I'm sure as the games go on you'll be fine. 

I'm sure we'll be alright if we continue to win games where the other team 'totally dominates' m8. 

38 minutes ago, TurbineTon said:

Read what i said. 

We did 'totally dominate' the second half. 

That's what I heard, too. Thing is, you're communicating with Jags fans and we know that 'totally dominating' means f**k all unless that possession is turned into goals. :angel

I thought a number of folk in the JH Stand last night were pretty out of line - it's clear that there's going to be little margin for error with some fandans this season. 

It is an almost entirely new team, and a very young one at that, and I don't think there was much appreciation of that fact from some utter imbeciles going berserk over a game at a stage of the season where friendlies should still be played. 

Case in point - one dafty was going apoplectic at the team's failure to "get the ball forward"  and then when we did, he lamented the team for not keeping possession. 

Image result for smh gif

Yes, the second half was rather dismal but credit to Morton for changing shape although I'm not sure why McKinnon thought Tidser at left back was a good idea in the first place. They had three very experienced central midfielders compared to our none, and they dominated the game in the second half. 

A lot of folk seem to be comparing it to last season but I don't agree; last year, we'd have wilted under that pressure. For all that Morton had the upper hand, I thought we actually defended quite well, I can't really recall too many shots on goal.

O'Ware and McGinty won't lose much in the air this season and I thought they showed promising signs of a good partnership. I think we were asking them to play in a fashion that might not suit them though, and with Bell's rather erratic distribution, that's probably asking for trouble. 

Slater was very impressive in the first half but struggled to have the same impact in the second. Content to write that off as a lack of fitness. He was trying to slow things down and regain some composure throughout the team but inevitably gave the ball away which defeated the purpose. Think he's a good fit for us though.

I doubt we'll see a better goal than Storer's all season. The technique required to hit that in a controlled and accurate way was outrageous. Ignoring his hot headed past though, he's a red card waiting to happen. Couple of silly fouls and he was subbed at the right time. Unsure what kind of role he's going to fill, he almost had a licence to roam about the pitch, often picking the ball up off the centre halves.

Christie had some great runs from full back but his delivery continues to often let him down - probably my Man of the Match though. On the flip side, Penrice's crossing is excellent but he didn't quite get up and down as much. Defensively, he still needs to improve; he had a few balls played inside him that caught him out especially in the first half. He'll make mistakes this year, just as Lindsay did in his first season or two, but he's definitely a player in the making.

Storey was terrific in an attacking sense with great direct running and some decent deliveries but he was sleeping for Morton's goal where his man ran off the back of him with ease. His body shape was all wrong and he had no idea where Tumilty was until it was too late. If we're going to play him there, we're going to have to take the rough with the smooth. Fair play to him for getting his head down and working hard despite being on the transfer list. 

Almost forgot about Shea Gordon, largely because he was utterly anonymous and contributed nada to the game. He did have one decent give-and-go in the first minute that led to a chance for Dools' but that was it. It's all good and well swording seaside diddies, but his anonymity against decent opposition (much like his Motherwell teammate Ross MacLean who was equally as poor for Morton) is a tad concerning. Again though, too early to form any solid judgements.

Of the 'old guard', Dools and Erskine were very quiet by their standards. Erskine threw a bit of a hissy with McGinty when it was quite blatantly his fault; maybe just frustration at his own performance. Spittal was fine if unspectacular before being subbed.

Still short of 4 or 5, I'd say. Need a proper midfield (w)anchor and a bit of cutting edge.

Things must have gone on behind the scenes with Lawless that we don’t know about. 

I don’t think he wanted to leave, I don’t think it comes down to a lack of affordability and I don’t think it’s because Archibald doesn’t rate him. I’m surprised he’s still without a club. He would be a good signing for most diddy Premiership clubs and anyone in the Championship.

Edited by Hammer Jag

I'm more surprised he hasn't been taken up by anyone who finished in positions 7-10 in the Premiership last year or the two promoted clubs- I assumed he was nailed on to go to Hamilton when he left us with him being local.  Something isn't right if Edwards and McGinn get gigs in the top flight and he doesn't

Obviously he's a bit of a loose cannon on twitter - which in a way is refreshing as so many players just spout the same pish- and the gambling thing might still be in people's minds (like that would put fucking *Livi* off with their "characters").  I'd assume he's burnt his bridges if not at Firhill then with Archibald.

Or maybe he just didn't fancy pre-season and was over in Northern Ireland for parades and lager.