The Partick Thistle thread

Welsh would still be at Thistle if he could stay fit and we would still be in the top division. For a while he was regularly caught in possession, but I think before his last injury with us (it got difficult to keep track) he went on a great run of scoring and setting up goals. 

Aye, Sean Welsh was definitely the man to turn last season’s complete train wreck of abject dross and charlatans into a competent top flight team.

I was going to start with "If Sean Welsh stays fit" but that's just silly.  

Tidy player for us, got some cracking abuse from the stands for not 'punting it', left and then magically became the sort of player we need in the team and Archie should never have let go.

11 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, Sean Welsh was definitely the man to turn last season’s complete train wreck of abject dross and charlatans into a competent top flight team.

A fit Welsh wouldn't have done us any harm at all last season.  Given that Haccies beat us by 0 points and we were in the play offs spot on GD, having lacked any semblance of a competent midfield all season, with Osman and Barton both forgetting how to play football, it's not a huge leap to think we may have stayed up if we'd had a midfielder in there who had previously been tidy and committed for us (in spells, at least).  I know... if my auntie had baws, etc... but last season's relegation was down to very small margins.

In other news, it seems from the St Murn board this morning that "there is nothing in the Doolan story" - who'd have thunk it??

44 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

A fit Welsh wouldn't have done us any harm at all last season.  Given that Haccies beat us by 0 points and we were in the play offs spot on GD, having lacked any semblance of a competent midfield all season, with Osman and Barton both forgetting how to play football, it's not a huge leap to think we may have stayed up if we'd had a midfielder in there who had previously been tidy and committed for us (in spells, at least).  I know... if my auntie had baws, etc... but last season's relegation was down to very small margins.

In other news, it seems from the St Murn board this morning that "there is nothing in the Doolan story" - who'd have thunk it??

All of this . We played Martin Fucking Woods as our main central midfielder for half a season! 

Folk seem to be forgetting that Welsh had, to put it politely, an underwhelming spell at Falkirk last season having struggled to find a club for eight months due to his history of injury.

1 hour ago, Nizzy said:

Folk seem to be forgetting that Welsh had, to put it politely, an underwhelming spell at Falkirk last season having struggled to find a club for eight months due to his history of injury.

Also that he is quite shite.

Good to see James Penrice featuring for you at the weekend, and making the SPFL Team of the Week!!!
IMG_3926.jpg
Is he likely to be your 1st choice LB this season, if so good luck to him, cracking player and don't take this the wrong way but if he becomes a 1st Team regular and continues to progress the way he should he won't be with you for long!!!
I predict he will play for Scotland at some level this season and you can bookmark that!!!

2 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Good to see James Penrice featuring for you at the weekend, and making the SPFL Team of the Week!!!
IMG_3926.jpg
Is he likely to be your 1st choice LB this season, if so good luck to him, cracking player and don't take this the wrong way but if he becomes a 1st Team regular and continues to progress the way he should he won't be with you for long!!!
I predict he will play for Scotland at some level this season and you can bookmark that!!!

Cracking prospect - Yes.  A move to a bigger club- Yes.  A Scotland cap whilst with Thistle- Hahaha!

Cracking prospect - Yes.  A move to a bigger club- Yes.  A Scotland cap whilst with Thistle- Hahaha!

I did say at "some level", absolutely no reason he can't make the Under 19's, 20's or 21's this season. I think he's good enough!!!

WILL he be your regular LB this season???

I did say at "some level", absolutely no reason he can't make the Under 19's, 20's or 21's this season. I think he's good enough!!!
WILL he be your regular LB this season???
Liam Lindsay.

Although I'll concede Stuart Bannigan.

I spoke with your ex-goalie Ryan Scully yesterday ahead of your game against Morton tonight. "Nothing to prove" he says; he was always good with the Pars when he was with us for 2 seasons under Jim Jefferies in League One but I think it was the right time for him to leave you guys this summer. 

Also, on the bit further back about Penrice; he was great last season for Livingston until he was recalled. Ironically it was CM he was playing and he looked very assured in that position. I think he will be a good player for you guys this season. 

Proving he's not a clueless diddy might be a good start.

In all seriousness, the optimum difference is most of his starts with us were in the top flight, and most of his starts at Dunfermline were in the third tier. Given the apparent marked difference between his level of ability for both clubs, I'd say he definitely does have something to prove this season; proving he's at least a respectable player in the second tier and that he doesn't belong in the seaside would be a good start.