The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Reid said:

I agree that Slater isn’t a defensive midfielder but he’s the best option beside Bannigan by a mile. McCarthy’s not good enough.

I’d agree with Fuctifano’s team apart from in goals. I think Hazard is slightly better but there’s not much in it

I would be using Fuctifano’s team too but I would have someone mobile beside Bannigan. I like Slater but he’s best being a no10 back up to Spittal - in that system.  His lack of pace (and Bannigan’s to a lesser extent) was exposed on Friday as they both couldn’t keep up with play being on the side of the diamond :( 

Only if it means Harkins isn’t on the field then aye, DMF but it’s clearly not his game imo. 

That, or Jagfox’s team if a back three

Edited by cilitbang

1 hour ago, cilitbang said:

I would be using Fuctifano’s team too but I would have someone mobile beside Bannigan. I like Slater but he’s best being a no10 back up to Spittal - in that system.  His lack of pace (and Bannigan’s to a lesser extent) was exposed on Friday as they both couldn’t keep up with play being on the side of the diamond :( 

Only if it means Harkins isn’t on the field then aye, DMF but it’s clearly not his game imo. 

That, or Jagfox’s team if a back three

I'm really confused here, we need someone mobile next to Bannigan but in your other post you suggested McCarthy ? He's quite possibly the slowest midfielder we have which is some achievement when the club employs Gary Harkins.

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm really confused here, we need someone mobile next to Bannigan but in your other post you suggested McCarthy ? He's quite possibly the slowest midfielder we have which is some achievement when the club employs Gary Harkins.

McCarthy gets about and tackles. 

Caldwell's random team generator won't come up with any of those permutations.  Mansell to get a few more games, to see if he can receive a pass without a) falling over, b ) the ball rebounding at least 12 feet, or c) a combination of a and b.  

Apologies if I'm asking a stupid question here, but I was watching the game on the BBC last Friday and noticed Aaron Lennox was listed as the sub goalkeeper. I knew he had went on loan to Cowdenbeath in January but presumed he'd been recalled. I've just seen Cowdenbeath team sheet for tonight and Lennox is listed as their starting goalkeeper. Am I missing something obvious here, and if not, surely loan players can't jump between teams (development/reserve teams aside)?

52 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I don't know either but I'm going to assume something that blatantly obvious can't be an admin error- maybe something to do with us only having one senior goalkeeper for Friday.

Goalies can be recalled for seven days during loans. He came back on Monday 18th March and returned yesterday. 

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:41, Pie Of The Month said:

Difficult to judge the pace of Harkins, I have not even seem him attempt to run since his return.

superb result today ahead of the final few fixtures - certainly looks like the training camp paid off!

image.png.6817fe4c262239571b3d61aa7e3ce96b.png

If you offered me it I'd absolutely take a win against Dunfermline, write off County away as a loss from the way our games against them have already gone so far, and a draw against Alloa. Anything more than that (especially the Alloa game) would be excellent. Little bit concerned with the double header with Ayr since they've already bested us X2 in one at the start of the season. edit: there's also the last game in May against QotS but exactly what we need to do by that point won't be clear until the next few games are done. Hopefully an absolute shitfest 0-0 that keeps both teams safe, that'd be just fine by me)

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

superb result today ahead of the final few fixtures - certainly looks like the training camp paid off!
image.png.6817fe4c262239571b3d61aa7e3ce96b.png
If you offered me it I'd absolutely take a win against Dunfermline, write off County away as a loss from the way our games against them have already gone so far, and a draw against Alloa. Anything more than that (especially the Alloa game) would be excellent. Little bit concerned with the double header with Ayr since they've already bested us X2 in one at the start of the season. edit: there's also the last game in May against QotS but exactly what we need to do by that point won't be clear until the next few games are done. Hopefully an absolute shitfest 0-0 that keeps both teams safe, that'd be just fine by me)

Those 2 games vs Ayr were a wee while ago now. Surely you’ve improved since then?

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Those 2 games vs Ayr were a wee while ago now. Surely you’ve improved since then?

sort of. Had a look at the team line-ups and the main difference for us that sticks out is a wholesale change at central defence which has improved what was a pretty shabby partnership with McGinty and Keown + a new keeper to replace Bell who didn't impress, was thinking more that if the Ayr team is broadly unchanged from those fixtures - especially Shankland who was excellent against us - we'll struggle. Plus McCall has already set up Ayr to beat us pretty comfortably in a double header already...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

sort of. Had a look at the team line-ups and the main difference for us that sticks out is a wholesale change at central defence which has improved what was a pretty shabby partnership with McGinty and Keown, was thinking more that if the Ayr team is broadly unchanged from those fixtures - especially Shankland who was excellent against us - we'll struggle. Plus McCall has already set up Ayr to beat us pretty comfortably in a double header already...

I thought there were big differences between the side that we faced under Caldwell and the double header under Archibald. Neither side were particularly great going forward but Caldwell at least seemed to recognise that and had you a bit harder to beat. McGinty however was the glaring weakness over those 3 games. For a big guy he was absolutely bullied by Shankland but I’d expect Anderson will be a much tougher opponent.

You’ll also have the benefit of Harkins turning up as we’ll likely spend all game calling him a fat b*****d before he rifles in a 35 yarder.