The Partick Thistle thread

With the position he plays and the number of set pieces he takes the very least we could expect for him is to be in the top couple of players in our team for assists. Out of our attacking players only Lawless, Higginbotham and Stevenson have started over 20 league games so it's no major surprise he's up there despite being nowhere near as good as he can be. Who else realistically in our squad did people expect to be ahead of him? Arguably it's only Stevenson and at a push O'Donnell but even then he'd be slaughtered if we were getting more creativity from a full back than him.

Higgy has essentially been on a 1 year deal for this entire season since he's out of contract in the summer, it hasn't motivated him to perform anywhere near the level of the last few months of last season. I'm beginning to conclude that the average performances of this season are the real Higginbotham rather than the ones last season.

I also don't really buy Lawless' claims about 1 year deals. He wants to be available for a much bigger deal if he plays out of his skin and gets interest from elsewhere knowing that unless he has an absolute shocker he'll probably get to stay. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a longer deal here or elsewhere in the future if it's a good enough offer.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Heard from a semi legit source that a Thistle fullback is being sold to a team down south. Unsure why anyone would buy O'Donnell considering he's out of contract but think someone else mentioned here he is planning a venture across the border. Probably Chinese whispers getting the fine details of his move mixed up.

As much as I want him to stay, I'd be ecstatic and delighted for him if he does move to a big club in England. He's been a class act on and off the park since he first arrived at Firhill. If Steven Hendry can win a move to West Ham, there's no reason why not.

Edited by Hammer Jag

Hadn't realized Higgy has the 2nd most assists in the team, behind Lawless. If we were to sign him up then a one year deal might keep him motivated. Lawless had an interview a while back and explained that that's why he prefers just the one year deals

where did you get the stats for assists? Thought Stevenson had set up a few as well

My assists table, all competitions

Lawless 8
O'Donnell 6
Bannigan 5
Stevenson 4
Higgy 4
Elliott 4
Carroll 2
Osman 2
Taylor 2
McDaid 2
Booth 1
Balatoni 1
Craigen 1
No assist 3

The ones I have for Higgy were- first goal vs Ross County on day 1, corner for Osman's header vs ICT, corner for OG at Tannadice, and the first yesterday.

I would keep Higgy, but only if he wants to sign and isn't asking for much - if any - wage increase. I don't think he's worth pushing the boat out for, and he's the sort of player who needs to have his head screwed on. If he's only going to sign because there's nowhere else to go, then we're going to get more of the frustrated mess that he's had this season.

I'd really love to see him stay and recapture some of his better moments last season. He's probably the one player we have who can pull something out of nothing when we're not playing well. Unfortunately this season he's made a few mistakes, the head has gone down, and from there he's pretty much useless.

Apart from that, there aren't really any players I'd want to let go. SOD is probably gone, so the priority this summer will obviously be a right back in his mould. We could get away with missing out on Taylor, but we can't get away with not replacing SOD. Still though, second priority is absolutely getting Taylor in. He's better than this league, but he has the chance to be a real star here, rather than just one of a team down South.

^ Agree with you but who is available to replace O'Donnell if he leaves? The budget will probably be similar next season. If so and assuming that he stays, Elliot will probably be cover for both the full-back positions. Pleased to see the positive comments from Lawless too.

He had a great run recently but an up and down career. All in all, Craigen leaves with massive blessings from everyone I'd imagine. Will always be a cult hero for THAT goal regardless.

Craigen has apparently signed a pre-contract with us.

Meh. Of all the players I'd like to see retained Craigen is the bottom of the pile.

Not bad news as the manager needs to free up some cash to improve the squad. It should be a tougher league next season.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Osman will be our most important signing of the close season

^this.

Osman plays, Thistle play.

It's no coincidence that our worst run of the season was also when Abdul had his poorest spell.

Stick on for our player of the year in my opinion. Lawless not far behind.