The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I have to admit that I am finding it quite funny that a few of the people who defended Archie to the hilt and thought he could d no wrong have decided that Caldwell falling out with Erskine is the step too far and now want him gone.

I didn’t defend Archie

That said, I would take an inconsistent Erskine over a consistently crap Mutombo and Storey. Doolan isn’t getting decent service (it’s like we didn’t offer our most creative player a new contract post relegation)

Given Caldwell's comments about commitment and attitude, it seems contradictory to chase one of the few players remaining who has both in abundance. Caldwell has very little in the bank in terms of goodwill and this will certainly damage what's left.

To play devil's advocate here, Erskine hasn't been at the races this year and despite a wage reduction, will still likely be one of the higher earners at the club. As others have said, sentimentality is one of the reasons that we are where we are. Caldwell clearly has Martinez's philosophy in his head and the signings of Harkins and Cardle say that he wants to go 4-3-3. Storey seems to be one of the first names on the team-sheet and when you consider Coulibaly is still to come back, it's difficult to see where Erskine fits.

It reminds me a little of when Southampton bagged Nigel Adkins, much to public disgust having led them to double promotions. They then appointed Pochettino and the rest is history. Had they appointed a duffer, folk would have been queuing up to stick the knife in - but as harsh as it seemed at the time, they got it right.

The quality of such a decision depends entirely on the replacement. If Cardle for example comes in and plays a blinder, helping us to stay up, people will point to this decision and say it was correct; if he doesn't, it'll be decried and we'll say that Erskine would have been the saviour. 

As reasoned as all of the above is though, I do believe Erskine deserves better than being squeezed out the door mid-season. I don't believe that given a consistent run in the team that he would contribute any less than the aforementioned Cardle - I won't even comment on Storey.

Low said that extra funds would be made available in January - unless (shock, horror) this was another load of bollocks, given the (possibly fatal) damage that it would do to Caldwell's standing with the support, I would've thought she might be directing her man in the interests of PR - you know, what she has apparently spent her career managing.

26 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

I didn’t defend Archie

That said, I would take an inconsistent Erskine over a consistently crap Mutombo and Storey. Doolan isn’t getting decent service (it’s like we didn’t offer our most creative player a new contract post relegation)

I wasn't directing that at anyone on here. 

Erskine and Doolan are legends and always will be, but we need an urgent transformation and if that involves getting rid of one then that’s just the way it is. Lets face it we have been absolutely bananas since we reached top six, Doolan and Erskine included.

1 hour ago, Maine said:

Erskine and Doolan are legends and always will be, but we need an urgent transformation and if that involves getting rid of one then that’s just the way it is. Lets face it we have been absolutely bananas since we reached top six, Doolan and Erskine included.

In much the same way as if I ran out onto the M8 in front of a lorry, that would be an urgent transformation of my life prospects...

On official site, nothing controversial about this, and not the same as rumours 

Over the weekend, Partick Thistle received a formal enquiry from another Scottish club about the availability of Chris Erskine. In consultation with Chris that Club was given permission to speak to him. Following the enquiry, a private conversation took place between the manager and Chris. Chris is not being forced from Partick Thistle and the decision remains in his hands.

Chris remains part of the first team squad and will be treated with the respect that a player who has given so much to this football club deserves. Chris remains committed to the Club as he continues to prepare for Saturday’s game.

This entire Erskine episode is fucking laughable. A couple of rumours painting Caldwell as the bad guy are being accepted without question while any alternative suggestions are being ignored. We're even entering crazy conspiracy theory territory in some quarters.

12 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

This entire Erskine episode is fucking laughable. A couple of rumours painting Caldwell as the bad guy are being accepted without question while any alternative suggestions are being ignored. We're even entering crazy conspiracy theory territory in some quarters.

I had a good laugh at the guy on WAT who suggested Caldwell was targeting Erskine as he saw him as a threat to his job.

Our fans are fucking mental.

18 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Perhaps if Caldwell wasn't outwardly such a w**k people would be more prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
No smoke without fire.

48 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

On official site, nothing controversial about this, and not the same as rumours 

Over the weekend, Partick Thistle received a formal enquiry from another Scottish club about the availability of Chris Erskine. In consultation with Chris that Club was given permission to speak to him. Following the enquiry, a private conversation took place between the manager and Chris. Chris is not being forced from Partick Thistle and the decision remains in his hands.

Chris remains part of the first team squad and will be treated with the respect that a player who has given so much to this football club deserves. Chris remains committed to the Club as he continues to prepare for Saturday’s game.

We are a fucking laughing stock. Why they see fit to respond to Twitter gossip, all of a sudden, says all you need to know.

"In Consultation with chris" - gary told him he wouldn't be playing again.

"following the enquiry a private convrsation took place" - this one's on you chris, we know you're spreading this story.

"chris is not being forced from Partick Thistle" - but he has been told he won't play for us again and he can leave

"chris remains part of the first team squad... " - we won't be sending him to train with the reserves, we've got half season tickets to sell.

16 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I had a good laugh at the guy on WAT who suggested Caldwell was targeting Erskine as he saw him as a threat to his job.

Our fans are fucking mental.

hence why i don't post on that shitshow anymore. the guy who runs it, douglas clark recently sent out one of the most condescending notices you'll ever read, regards folk reporting posts. bizarre is an understatement

18 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Perhaps if Caldwell wasn't outwardly such a w**k people would be more prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That approach has worked well for us before, eh?

A cringey, embarrassing statement. Pretend it’s an update on receiving an enquiry about Erskine, when really it’s so you can slip in a denial about the recent social media rumours.

Get Jacqui Low and her Tory PR tactics so far to f**k.