The Partick Thistle thread

Listening to Caldwell on Jagzone (poster today) when discussing goalkeeper he doesn’t even mention Bell or Lennox. He says Sneddon has done well but as a young player needs a rest and so Hazard was ideal to come in. That indicates to me that Bell and Lennox are surplus to requirements not a mention of either of them.

Also he states he’ll work all the way through the window and expects a few more to come in. Full back, CB and forward are areas I think may be the focus.

No mention of anyone leaving as of yet. But it’s inevitable.

FYI - Coulibaly isn’t ready and it’ll be 2-3 weeks yet before he’s back in. But he’s in gym and doing light training.

You get the feeling we're not done in this window, but how many more we get in is probably dependent on being able to ship some out.

I would guess Caldwell's plan is to get Bell, Keown, Ntambwe, Mutombo and Erskine off the wage bill if possible, and with the exception of Erskine, I'd be happy to let that bunch of huddies walk even if we didn't have anyone lined up to replace them. But as we found with some of the higher earners before this season, it never seems particularly easy to ship folk out - thankfully we found a club daft enough to take Barton, but ended up stuck with Storey and Keown and are still feeling the impact of this.

Ideally if those players leave, as well as Jefferies and Scobbie returning to their parent clubs, I'd like to see another 3 or 4 in. Mostly defenders, as we're still short (and shite) pretty much across the whole back four.

So far  if you look at Caldwells signings having what's left the club.. I'd say we are in a better position than before.

Ally Roy replaces Quitongo. 

Gary Harkins replaces Jack Storer.

Joe Cardle hopefully replacing Mutumbo.

Steven Saunders hopefully replacing Keown.

And also Hazard replacing Bell.

If Mutumbo .. Bell and Keown leave along with Quitongo and Storer. I'd have to say I'm a lot happier with our squad.

Keown has been found out since Lindsay left.

Storer was a fud.

Bell is very slow.

Quitongo looked as if he hadn't fully recovered from his knee injury. Seen plenty of effort but no quality.

Mutumbo has been a pretty Pointless signing to be honest.

I don't like Caldwell at all and the signings are uninspiring to say the least but I do think they are at least an upgrade on what we had.

Also hoping the higher quality players we are after ( 3 or 4 hopefully) are just proving a wee bit more difficult to get through the door. 

Here's hoping.

I've heard and read a few versions of the Erskine rumour, the latest being that he doesn't feature in the first XI that the manager has in mind, but Caldwell's told him he can make a positive impact from the bench. Whether that's good enough is up to Chris.

Erskine's been marginally better than a fair few folk this season, but not by any massive stretch. Tbh, Doolan's probably lucky that we've nothing else in that area or he might be in a similar position. He's been pretty poor for a season-and-a-half, but he been painful to watch at times this season.

Sentimentality is one of the factors that's contributed to our current predicament. I'm all out of fucks where player retention and replacement is concerned.

7 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

I've heard and read a few versions of the Erskine rumour, the latest being that he doesn't feature in the first XI that the manager has in mind, but Caldwell's told him he can make a positive impact from the bench. Whether that's good enough is up to Chris.

Erskine's been marginally better than a fair few folk this season, but not by any massive stretch. Tbh, Doolan's probably lucky that we've nothing else in that area or he might be in a similar position. He been pretty poor for a season-and-a-half, but he been painful to watch at times this season.

Sentimentality is one of the factors that's contributed to our current predicament. I'm all out of fucks where player retention and replacement is concerned.

I agree, everyone has their own view on individual players and their contribution to the Club. Doolan has been rewarded by a coaching position, the first choice "striker" position has been his largely due to the lack of competent competition. Erskine has always struck me as being more vocal than Doolan and no doubt would no doubt let his views be known within the Club. This may not go down too well with the management team.

Every player has a shelf life, we have to accept that things change.  The only hope is that the current changes are for the better. It would be nice to have the luxury of keeping guys on for sentimental reasons and the occasional "cameo performance", but things have to change pretty quickly. 

I do not know how the new signings will do, but no one can be happy with the last eighteen months. Lets hope for improvement.

Erskine’s performances prior to Caldwell taking over justify his place in our squad.

The sentimentality factor has plagued the club for years but Erskine, despite not being anywhere near the standard he was during his first stint with the club, has still been one of the better performers this season. Letting him go would be a massive f**k-up by Caldwell.

I agree. I totally see the crap in our squad that needs replaced. Erskine is one of our better players and loves the club. In a tough season like this getting rid and forcing out one of veteran loyal and contributing players like him wouldn’t be a smart decision. However if Erskine wants to leave then that’s different. I don’t think he’s guaranteed a starting place. No player really is so unless it’s a situation at his twilight age he thinks he needs to play every week then I could see him moving. But not to an equivalent team or Accies where he’d be in the same situation. League 1 makes sense. Dumbarton with Duffy would make sense.

I hope he plays today and scores the winner. I hope he stays for the rest of the season. Helps us stay up and he can then make a decision. Mon the jags!