The Partick Thistle thread

From most reports, the players' have been up for the recent games, I don't doubt that they're playing for Caldwell; the troubling reality is that they're just no good. The jury is well and truly out on whether Caldwell is any good either.

No question, Caldwell has been dealt a shite hand - the recruitment by Archibald and overseen by Britton has been utterly criminal - but 1 point out of 18 is sackable. By trying (and failing) to plug the porous defence, he's almost completed nullified any attacking potency that we had. We might have a poor squad but it's not the worst in the league, and his failure to organise the squad at his disposal is reflecting on his ability as a coach more so by the week.

The problem with all of these coaching licences is that they have produced a mass of identikit coaches, all conveying the exact same philosophy. It's an endemic of football in general but particularly in Scotland where you have fucking no-marks like us claiming to want to return to the "Partick Thistle Way"; the irony being, on the basis of my 25 years watching us, we have indeed returned to type.

I mean, on the back of that now infamous David Beattie statement, we signed well known Libero maestros Tam O'Ware and Sean McGinty who on first viewing, anyone with half a brain in their nut would have told you were going to struggle playing out from the back. 

We needed a change of direction, not a different voice expressing the same message - Einstein's definition of insanity comes to mind.  We've heard these soundbites that whilst we've not seen a difference on the pitch, a lot has changed behind the scenes - will be interesting to hear what these changes are at Meet the Manager.

14 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

I never go to these things, but I’m making a point to go to the Jags Trust meeting/Caldwell interview for absolute entertainment value.

The questions will range somewhere between “why are you so shite?” to “why aren’t you Archie?”

Me if any c**t asks about 5 year plans or league reconstruction.

20 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thistle are a class club. First season watching us was the season we finished second to you. Loved the colours, one of my first memories was that kit and the away fans, Bells sponsor boards. Hope to see you turn things around soon, Grandad from anniesland gran from Maryhill.. both went to Thistle games, my wee granny always used to go on about them. emoji23.png

Problem for me is, after listening to Caldwells interview with Si Ferry... I genuinely believe Caldwell thinks he's a lot better and smarter than he is. Really didn't take to him in that interview and I don't think the players will take to him too much either.

He actually applied for the Scotland job. 

11 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Caldwell practically torturing this squad of shysters buys him a bit of reprieve from me anyway. Not as if we can do much else with them. 

It would be to his credit if that were the case.

"Here Gary, we should do some kind of team-building exercise, really bring the squad together?"
"Eh?  f**k off.  I'm going to get the SAS in to kick f**k out of them"

That article a few pages back was gold.  It was like a dundeebarry skit come to life.

On 12/3/2018 at 13:15, Armand 2 said:

From most reports, the players' have been up for the recent games, I don't doubt that they're playing for Caldwell; the troubling reality is that they're just no good. The jury is well and truly out on whether Caldwell is any good either.

No question, Caldwell has been dealt a shite hand - the recruitment by Archibald and overseen by Britton has been utterly criminal - but 1 point out of 18 is sackable. By trying (and failing) to plug the porous defence, he's almost completed nullified any attacking potency that we had. We might have a poor squad but it's not the worst in the league, and his failure to organise the squad at his disposal is reflecting on his ability as a coach more so by the week.

The problem with all of these coaching licences is that they have produced a mass of identikit coaches, all conveying the exact same philosophy. It's an endemic of football in general but particularly in Scotland where you have fucking no-marks like us claiming to want to return to the "Partick Thistle Way"; the irony being, on the basis of my 25 years watching us, we have indeed returned to type.

I mean, on the back of that now infamous David Beattie statement, we signed well known Libero maestros Tam O'Ware and Sean McGinty who on first viewing, anyone with half a brain in their nut would have told you were going to struggle playing out from the back. 

We needed a change of direction, not a different voice expressing the same message - Einstein's definition of insanity comes to mind.  We've heard these soundbites that whilst we've not seen a difference on the pitch, a lot has changed behind the scenes - will be interesting to hear what these changes are at Meet the Manager.

It is increasingly looking as if Caldwell and Archibald were looking up exercises in the same Modern Football Management for Dummies or whatever the latest fashionable coaching manual in English is - avoiding  any kind of direct approach, central midfield penetration or distance shots; endless series of crosses from the wings; setting up a team to defend regardless of capability, confidence or opposition,... Tactically, the team is no better than when it lost to a managerless side.

Just back in...
Miles Storey is a winger.
James Penrice is a left back.
:green

“I accept that it’s unacceptable” - Caldwell, G (2018)

Some of the questions, he answered very well. Others very poorly.

The guy who went to town on him was pretty much bang on. His response with the quote above, as well as trying to counter the fact that we don’t create chances or score enough goals with “how many shots have we had since I joined? 83” was baffling, and it was inevitable that it was responded with “how many goals have we scored? 2”.

I think he was very vague especially about player recruitment. Felt like an idiot being talked down to whilst he sat/stood there and gave his cliched answers. Couldn't even answer about a minimum number of players he'd like to bring in, which isn't like its requesting names or that sort of stuff.  Its the "I've identified players to leave and ones I would like to come in". Would like players with experience in Scotland above all. GB said if there isn't teams willing to take those who have contracts and he wants gone, we'll just have to keep them, like Storey and Keown.

He got schooled and stuttered as said above, he, and GB as well were basically asked if people at the club realise that we are bottom of the league after 18 months of shite, and what has changed, the media comments suggest that we're being naive about our position, given the club has went down twice in a row in the past. 

He seems to fancy Storey as a player as well, and then alluded to his low confidence. He gave the impression that hes struggling to motivate a lot of the players, without specifically saying it.

I came out of that feeling as negative as I did before going in. 

Edited by Firhill_Basin