The Partick Thistle thread

Only 5 of the squad have deals next year? At this rate, I wouldn't keep any of those out of contract, that includes Dools and Erskine who are increasingly looking like shot fighters. I'd be active in getting rid of McGinty as well. 

Edited by Firhill_Basin

The main advantages if it is Caldwell (in my opinion) is that he is not Duffy, Hughes, Hartley or any other residents of the Scottish Football Recycling bin and that he seems to have had some success in the past. I would hope that he would have built up a reasonably extensive contact list during his career.

The caveats are; that it is the Sun that is reporting his likely appointment (remember the report that we had signed Barjonas), and that his sanity could be in doubt after his application for the Scotland job.

Anyway, we should know within the next 24-48 hours.

I'd rather it was Caldwell than the usual retreads, but he doesn't seem the most inspiring appointment.

Probably fair to assume that he's got a more extensive contact list than Archibald through playing at a higher level for most of his career and having already coached in England for a few years, but you've just got to look at the likes of Lee Clark to see that's not necessarily a good thing.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tippy tappy, defensive, park the bus!!! Are Hughes, McIntyre, Duffy etc still available??  That makes uncomfortable reading. We really need an in your face, get stuck in type manager. We might be facing the very guy next weekend!!

Edited by Sting777

The objective hasn’t changed. Promotion. We’re only 8 games in so it’s still possible to finish top 4. Plenty of points up for grabs and a transfer window in January which gives the new manager some weeks to potentially look for recruits in weak areas like defense.
Caldwell is a little bit of an unknown quantity. But having said that at least it’s not Yogi Hughes or Paul Hartley. I suspect the board and Gerry saw something in his interview and proposals for club that made sense.

Let’s see if an announcement is made first.

If it's Caldwell, I'm happy with that choice and relieved that it isn't an absolute dinosaur like Jim Duffy or Yogi Hughes.

He's got his work cut out to make anything of this season other than survival in the 2nd tier, though.  Archibald's legacy in terms of the squad he left behind is pretty feeble, particularly in defence.  Losing O'Ware was a blow and much will depend on when he's back, how quickly he is up to speed, and who we get in in January (but by that time it may be too late to challenge).  In the meantime, Keown and McGinty (with __???__ at right back) are weekly bombscare material (similar to playing Danny Devine for a season in the premiership).

Ignoring Jim Goodwin who got a pt team up last season and has them competing this season and Danny Lennon who guided St Mirren to 1st ever league cup win will come back to bite Thistle on the arse both men have done more than Gary Caldwell even Yogis done more lol.

2 minutes ago, Paul Cicero said:

Ignoring Jim Goodwin who got a pt team up last season and has them competing this season and Danny Lennon who guided St Mirren to 1st ever league cup win will come back to bite Thistle on the arse both men have done more than Gary Caldwell even Yogis done more lol.

Disappointed we didn’t get Oran Kearney and his magician tbh, St Maureen clearly flying atm

5 minutes ago, Paul Cicero said:

At least our board had the bollocks to get rid early !

That's nice. How's Shiels' son in law getting on? Are the Saints scoring goals for fun and rising up the league?