The Partick Thistle thread

Either Arsene Archibald thinks that this is a decent squad with a good chance of promotion (in which case he is a shit and delusional manager), or

he has had three months to rebuild the squad, has started the season unable to fill the bench, and has ended up with no genuine RB and a honking defence (in which case he is a shit and incompetent manager).

Edited by VictorOnopko

The only possible explanation for this mess is that our budget is so small that our choice of available player is limited to guys who can't get games elsewhere or those coming back from long term injury who see us as,a last chance.      It honestly looks as though the manager doesn't have the budget to chase players for specific positions and simply has to go with the dross available.

You can still get 16/5 on Morton this afternoon.

Just now, professor challenger said:

The only possible explanation for this mess is that our budget is so small that our choice of available player is limited to guys who can't get games elsewhere or those coming back from long term injury who see us as,a last chance.      It honestly looks as though the manager doesn't have the budget to chase players for specific positions and simply has to go with the dross available.

You can still get 16/5 on Morton this afternoon.

Give the new signings a couple of games ffs. Yes they may be shite but the negative fugue emanating from our fans isn’t gonna help matters and is downright cringeworthy, imo*.

*i reserve the right lose my shit if we get pumped this afternoon :angel

Just now, jagfox99 said:

Give the new signings a couple of games ffs. Yes they may be shite but the negative fugue emanating from our fans isn’t gonna help matters and is downright cringeworthy, imo*.

So you've never seen Tam Scobbie play then?

3 minutes ago, Lord Rosebury said:

Scobbie signed to allow us to change systems and play three at the back. Decent signing.  

Too many tears and snotters amongst the Thistle fans just now.  

Whilst not disputing the general point, is it not the case that Tam Scobbie is absolutely god awful?

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Whilst not disputing the general point, is it not the case that Tam Scobbie is absolutely god awful?

We’ve still to witness this spectacle...

15 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Fair enough that we should see how the team gets on in the next few games.

However, it's also fair game in the meantime to criticise these apparently panicked, ultra-last-minute signings of players no one else wants (including the fact we have no recognised right back in our entire squad - Elliott is, at best, a utility player with no obvious strong position).  We've been fed a series of "competitive budget", "quality signings" messages all summer by our board presumably to sell season books. If the current squad had all been brought in by 6 weeks ago, many/most fans would have been extremely disappointed by the standard.  Yinited fans seem delighted to get rid of Scobbie. Let's hope he proves them wrong - but Devine didn't prove ICT fans wrong when we signed him., and Archibald has a very poor record of recruiting defenders.

If you think it's cringeworthy to point all this out, then good for you.

39 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

The problem is we can’t say with any confidence that a lot of these new signings will ever be fit, good, or eligible enough to play more than a couple of games.

This is why the comparison others have made elsewhere to a team of youngsters, journeymen and university students that won the league is inapt. There were hardly any permacrocks in that team, the lower league signings were genuine hot prospects and full of dynamism and energy, and the journeymen were either established fixtures of our team or came with a reputation for graft and level-headedness from their former clubs.

McNamara assembled a team of players on their way up or easing down from a great height. Archibald has assembled a team from those plummeting from a great height or who need a ladder and a rope to get out the hole, and some who’ve just given up and made a home in the hole.

19 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Fair enough that we should see how the team gets on in the next few games.

However, it's also fair game in the meantime to criticise these apparently panicked, ultra-last-minute signings of players no one else wants (including the fact we have no recognised right back in our entire squad - Elliott is, at best, a utility player with no obvious strong position).  We've been fed a series of "competitive budget", "quality signings" messages all summer by our board presumably to sell season books. If the current squad had all been brought in by 6 weeks ago, many/most fans would have been extremely disappointed by the standard.  Yinited fans seem delighted to get rid of Scobbie. Let's hope he proves them wrong - but Devine didn't prove ICT fans wrong when we signed him., and Archibald has a very poor record of recruiting defenders.

If you think it's cringeworthy to point all this out, then good for you.

Facts are fine mate, and I know it’s a fact fans are pissed off following our relegation but constant griping doesn’t help anyone. 

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

Facts are fine mate, and I know it’s a fact fans are pissed off following our relegation but constant griping doesn’t help anyone. 

It’s not about helping anyone. It’s about holding strategic failures accountable.

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

The problem is we can’t say with any confidence that a lot of these new signings will ever be fit, good, or eligible enough to play more than a couple of games.

This is why the comparison others have made elsewhere to a team of youngsters, journeymen and university students that won the league is inapt. There were hardly any permacrocks in that team, the lower league signings were genuine hot prospects and full of dynamism and energy, and the journeymen were either established fixtures of our team or came with a reputation for graft and level-headedness from their former clubs.

McNamara assembled a team of players on their way up or easing down from a great height. Archibald has assembled a team from those plummeting from a great height or who need a ladder and a rope to get out the hole, and some who’ve just given up and made a home in the hole.

Squad building is definetly seems to be a major flaw  with Archibald’s management tenure. Maybe he’s just  the sort who is fine when taking over a settled squad. Ironically Morton might be a good fit for him if things get worse at Firhill?

Here's a few words for those Thistle posters out there who are on the verge of hanging themselves after reading the last few pages of soul-destroying negativity:
Bannigan may well get fit again and show himself as one of the best midfielders in the division. It's a possibility.

Quitongo might stay fit long enough to for us to see one of the best attacking talents in the division. It's a possibility.

Scobbie may turn out to be exactly what we need to steady the defence. It's a possibility.

Coolibaly may well escape from the Cairo prison cell in which he is currently having the soles of his feet beaten by the guards in time to bang in twenty goals by Christmas. It's a possibility.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is likely but surely it's worth considering before posting something else designed to suck all the joy out of the lives of your fellow Thistle fans?

Edited by Walter

Here's a few words for those Thistle posters out there who are on the verge of hanging themselves after reading the last few pages of soul-destroying negativity:
Bannigan may well get fit again and show himself as one of the best midfielders in the division. It's a possibility.

Quitongo might stay fit long enough to for us to see one of the best attacking talents in the division. It's a possibility.

Scobbie may turn out to be exactly what we need to steady the defence. It's a possibility.

Coolibaly may well escape from the Cairo prison cell in which he is currently having the soles of his feet beaten the guards in time to bang in twenty goals by Christmas. It's a possibility.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is likely but surely it's worth considering before posting something else designed to suck all the joy out of the lives of your fellow Thistle fans?
possible in all aspects but more likely to be highly improbable but like you I generally air on the positive side but that is getting drained out of me slowly but surely but its a fair comment

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Coolibaly may well escape from the Cairo prison cell in which he is currently having the soles of his feet beaten by the guards in time to bang in twenty goals by Christmas. It's a possibility.

I'd love to have some positivity and look forward to coming to Firhill on matchdays again (rather than coming knowing that if we go1-0 down its game over and that if we go 1-0 up we're likely to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory late on) but it's been relentlessly negative on the pitch - the results and performances - for what feels like forever at this point. Been better news off the pitch with the Weirs continued involvement and progress on the new training ground but it's all about the 90 minutes, and most of that time match-to-match is brutal right now.

Tbf it's a nice thought that our "best squad in years" last season contrives to get relegated whereas our current band of misfits, club legends and reputed carthorses can do something akin to Dick Campbells team and somehow scrape their way to promotion. I'll cling to that thought for now.