The Partick Thistle thread

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

Is it worse to sign a shite player who is eligible to play or a good player who isn't eligible to play?

Definitely the former because then it’s harder to get a match postponed for a faked food poisoning outbreak.

What a joke of a transfer window. Further proof (not that it was needed) that Archibald is out of his depth and has officially lost the plot. There isn't a hope in hell that this squad will win promotion.

To top it off, I'll await the announcement that Fitzpatrick is away on loan to Stirling Albion.

Ach, having thought about it we're pretty well covered at any position other than RB. Given about 40% of our squad are injured at any given moment it's not too bad

Keepers- Bell, Lennox, Sneddon

RB- Elliot, <tumbleweed>

LB- Penrice, Melbourne, Scobbie, Bannigan (lol)

CB- McGinty, Keown, Scobbie, the lad from Dundee whose name I've already forgot and could google but want to make a point

CM- Ntambwe, Gordon, Slater, Bannigan (lol), Penrice,  McCarthy

AM- Mutombo, Fitzpatrick, Erskine, Spittal, Storer

CF- Doolan, Quitongo, Storey, Coulibaly (lol)

Probably forgot someone. I'd like to forget Blair Spittal but didn't.

Bell

(Sneddon, Lennox)

Elliott - Keown - McGinty - Melbourne

(O'Ware, Scobbie, Jefferies)

Slater - Penrice

(Bannigan, Ntambwe, Gordon, McCarthy)

Fitzpatrick - Quitongo - Mbuyi-Mutombo

(Spittal, Erskine, Storer, Wilson(?))

Doolan

(Coulibaly, Storey)

A squad of 26 then - with 6 players currently unavailable - with just one right-back and one player who might never play for us.

I think middle to front we look quite decent, especially if Coulibaly somehow becomes available to us. That defence looks stinking though.

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Can Scobbie cover the right-side at all? If Elliott's out it could force us into a back 3 with Spittal and Melbourne as wing-backs...

No, he's horrendously one footed. You either play him as a central defender with sub-par physical attributes for that role, or a left back with no pace, he doesn't do anything else.

We hilariously played him as a holding midfielder once, didn't end well.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don't think so. What a terrifying thought that is, though.

I think it would be like a horrible combination of Aaron Muirhead and Grant Murray when they played there.  I assume the 'emergency' right back is now Spittal which is making me angry even typing this. Maybe Gordon once he's fit

Agree we look decent on paper going forward, although I'm now fully of the view Coulibaly won't ever play for us, but at some point this season (f**k it could be in about 15 hours for all I know) our CB partnership is going to be McGinty and Scobbie, two left footed cloggers with the pace of OAPs, and I'm not ready to see that.

10 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Last season we played 5 different people at RB/RWB due to various injuries, and this season we're going with 1 guy who can play there. Banter.

One guy who can kind of play there.

Has Keown covered at RB before? It’s one of his ‘other positions’ on transfermarkt

He’s slow and his distribution is brutal so doubtful.

Signing both Jefferies and Scobbie seems strange unless we’re looking to go with a back 3 in a lot of games. Surely the money on one of them could have went towards a RB? Elliott has had a few lengthy injuries over the past few years and we’ll be fucked if he gets injured.