The Partick Thistle thread

21 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

That reads like the club doesn't seem confident if he will ever play for us. They are just going to start the investigation into the possibility of signing him.

I don't mind as much but we shouldn't have announced him as a new signing until he we had the international clearance, or were assured we'd get it.

Maybe the club hoped there might be the selling of a few more season tickets on the back of the announcement of the signing, as it’s definitely what I would class as a marquee signing

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I thought it was passive aggressive pish. If anyone was uninformed then it is because the club decided not to inform in the first place.

The club has nowhere near enough goodwill with the fanbase at the moment to be snide.

I interpreted as aimed at The Sun rather than the fans. A fair point though.

Aye, that doesn't really clarify anything. Saying that you've signed him knowing the situation and will now begin the process of getting international clearance gives no indication of what, if anything, needs to be done aside from the usual steps for international clearance, meaning they're also giving no indication of how long it could take.

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

That reads like the club doesn't seem confident if he will ever play for us. They are just going to start the investigation into the possibility of signing him.

I don't mind as much but we shouldn't have announced him as a new signing until he we had the international clearance, or were assured we'd get it.

I think if I've read that right he's signed a contract (and in fact had to do so prior to the club seeking international clearance); I believe it's correct to say that there's no cost with the club seeking clearance but it's potentially going to be a nightmare if we fail to get clearance (I'm thinking something akin to being Tidsered) unless the contract is provisional and can be cancelled if we can't register him to play:

"Amid much uninformed speculation, the Club would like to clarify the current situation with regards the signing of Souleymane Coulibaly. The Club is, and always has been, fully aware of Souleymane’s situation. There was no naivety about the complications that would be involved in gaining clearance for him to play for Partick Thistle.

Before international clearance could be sought, it was a requirement for the Club to sign the player. That essential step began the process, in conjunction with the Scottish and Egyptian FAs, of gaining clearance for Souleymane to play for the Club. There is no cost to Partick Thistle associated with having taken this step.

The Club remains determined to do everything they can to ensure Souleymane is fully registered and available to play as soon as possible."

Would hope the uninformed speculation bit is more of a dig at the media than Thistle fans on here and elsewhere, but then why not say something like "amid much uninformed speculation among the press"?

Now that the club have released the statement I feel the time is right to let you all know that, despite his claims of knowing everything there is to know about the Coulibaly situation, Randomguy completely spunked his boxers last year when I made a very easy to spot wind up attempt on the St Johnstone thread saying Couly was on trial and was going to sign for them.

He spent about 3 days excitedly talking about how amazing a signing it was. Would assume the disappointment over my clear lies has led to his bitterness on this thread.

7 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Now that the club have released the statement I feel the time is right to let you all know that, despite his claims of knowing everything there is to know about the Coulibaly situation, Randomguy completely spunked his boxers last year when I made a very easy to spot wind up attempt on the St Johnstone thread saying Couly was on trial and was going to sign for them.

He spent about 3 days excitedly talking about how amazing a signing it was. Would assume the disappointment over my clear lies has led to his bitterness on this thread.

My issue is I signed the fucker on FM17 and he was immense, yet this year he's not even in the fucking game due to Al Ahly and this fucking about. 

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

I interpreted as aimed at The Sun rather than the fans. A fair point though.

I agree. Clearly designed to put the lid back on the story by saying nothing. It's clearly a matter that needs to be dealt with calmly, away from the media glare. I imagine the club were p1ssed off with Coulibaly for his YouTube rant.

At the moment, Coulibaly can't play, his old club want some money and we want a striker. Everyone has, potentially, something to gain from this situation. I imagine the idea has come from Coulibaly's agent. I bet he's been round a few clubs and we have taken it on. Quiet, careful negotiation could result in a win, win, win. If not, we have lost nothing. Fair play to the club.

Not fair play to the club.

The club's announcement tried to pass this off as a regular signing, so nothing much to see here folks.

Whoever the announcement was aimed at,  it was not transparent with the full facts.

Therefore this should not have been passed off as a normal signing.

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not fair play to the club.

The club's announcement tried to pass this off as a regular signing, so nothing much to see here folks.

Whoever the announcement was aimed at,  it was not transparent with the full facts.

Therefore this should not have been passed off as a normal signing.

I now have an image in my head of your disgruntled avatar, arms folded and stamping his little foot.

1 minute ago, Arnold Layne said:

I now have an image in my head of your disgruntled avatar, arms folded and stamping his little foot.

Interesting one for sure, but not as good as my image of you tuning your stringless guitar to do See Emily Play, and then actually playing it.

I would pay to see that.

1 hour ago, Arnold Layne said:

If not, we have lost nothing.

Are we not paying the wages of a player we've signed to a contract?

Losing £1k a week (for example) for a player who doesn't play for a year would be a pretty shoddy investment.

Why is everyone so negative about this situation maybe just maybe this could be the signing of the season in the championship, let's embrace this but if it goes tits up, nothing ventured nothing gained.
If the likes of Ayr, Morton, Dunfermline had took this gamble and it came off, we would all be questioning why we couldn't have done it. As said before it's a very complex situation and i for one don't have enough valid info on it to make judgement but here's hoping it works out in our favour

Loving the obvious bullshit line from Partick that they stand to lose nothing financially from signing Coulibaly if they can't resolve the long-standing issue; err, why the f**k would Coulibaly and his representatives commit to playing for a Scottish Championship club if they weren't getting something up front now and ongoing - like the payment of a contract for example? Anyone who buys the club's version of events on that front should be certified as a moron tbh.

Looking forward already to Chapter 2 of this saga when Partick unveil their crack legal team to settle this case in their favour.

Image result for lionel hutz