The Partick Thistle thread

Martin Hardie is back working as a sparkie in Johnstone , he supposedly said "Archie hasn't been given the funds he was promised" doesn't  sound promising.

Like last season, I'm more concerned with his allocation of the funds he has. Budget has become a very thin excuse when it bought us 'the best Thistle squad in years'.

17 year old right back Lee Duncanson away on loan to Albion Rovers - another right back coming in or irrelevant as he would be nowhere near the first team squad at any point this season? 

Also we have another sponsor, this time some healthy food mob. 

The last few pages here make worrying reading for me... restless, hacked off & disillusioned Thistle fans getting ready to rise up against the leadership over a turgid close season, an unconvincing manager, inadequate players, questionable recruitment strategy, unfathomable team line-ups and no imminent sign of improvement... without much doubt, it can only really lead to one outcome - Falkirk will feck it up and lose tomorrow.  Drat. And double drat. 

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I couldn't agree with this post more.  It's beyond belief that our management team think that we have a competitive midfield in place for the coming season, with or without (and let's face it, it's 95% certain it will be without) a fully fit Bannigan.  They have apparently learned nothing whatsoever from the absolute shambles of last season, where we put teams out week after week who were absolutely steamrollered in midfield - and nothing from the failed policy of "our injured player will be back soon to save us".

We are, at the very, very least, short of a right back, two holding/tackling midfielders, and a striker.    Our squad - both team and bench - on Day 1 of the league campaign was a complete burach.  They've had months to get targets in (and rather than sobbing about "knockbacks" like a teenager at a school disco, to have multiple alternatives lined up).

It really does look like the club decided not to compete for promotion this season in order to severely cut squad costs - but pretended otherwise after our ignominous relegation, to sell season books.

Which is why, in our household, the board wasn't seen as credible and season tickets became something for the past: the only way to shake up business people is to make them look at declining income.  :smartass

22 minutes ago, ALJAGS76 said:

Gerry on the website saying 2 signing are imminent and a further couple needed.

No he didn’t. He said that talks were ongoing  with two players.

They're not even *approaching* four players at the moment.

Fucking shambles.

By the time Gerry gets through another droning sentence containing a sob story of platitudes, Uncle Roy has bought Archie and Gerry’s latest target a five bedroom house with a garden in Cromarty.

12 minutes ago, ALJAGS76 said:

Did he not say he expected them to be completed over the next couple of days? That was how I took it, but I've been wrong before!

You can check again if you like but the word I remember hearing was not “expecting” or “imminent”.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

17 year old right back Lee Duncanson away on loan to Albion Rovers - another right back coming in or irrelevant as he would be nowhere near the first team squad at any point this season? 

I don't think Lee is quite there yet in terms of playing for the first team in the same way that Aidan Fitzpatrick is. He was supposed to go on loan to Arthurlie last season but an SFA rule meant he wouldn't have been able to play for the Dev Squad. The loan spell to Rovers could be the best thing to happen to him if he can get regular games and get a bit of confidence from playing competitive first team football. 

Martin Hardie is back working as a sparkie in Johnstone , he supposedly said "Archie hasn't been given the funds he was promised" doesn't  sound promising.

Promising if you think Archie chucking it is a positive thing, regardless of the reasons behind it.

2 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

Wanting Darren Lyon?

Not even good enough for this level. 

League 1 quality imo. 

Mind... I do remember you using only 4 subs for your opening game...

The Obsession never ends. . We aren’t in the same league and you still love the thistle.. I’m suprsised you’ve found the time to come down here and try and have a dig when Accies are looking so good for there yearly relegation battle !

No doubt. the last two minutes of Gerry's update on the website is directed at the fans as social media and forums are incredibly negative regards disappointing recruitment and last weeks result when we had a 2nd bite at the cherry against Ayr and played even worse than in Betfred Cup. Every tweet or FB post Thistle has released has fans trolling about no signings and player budget cuts on them. They've got the message...no doubt. Especially from the season ticket holders I am sure.  

As it is McParland tribute day and first home game it is clear the club doesnt want any booing or negative signs or chants towards Archie and I understand why, to support the players as we need a win. Whilst many are wanting to see another direction and feel Archie's time is up I have never been at a game (outwith the Sandy Clark reign which was a complete unmitigated disaster...showing my age now) where Jags fans at Firhill have chanted to sack the manager or gotten overly vitriolic, Sevco style. Booing yes and it may well be warranted, especially this past year, but never fully fledged activism to get rid of management team and I am glad Gerry had the baws to come on and be video'd answering those fans. Many still won't be pleased but I think it is key to note that the new players and guys who decided to stay like Erskine, Doolan and Elliott should be supported as best we can at weekend.  They love the club and it's not the players we are upset with. It's clear there are some deeper challenges. 

I am prepared to see what happens tomorrow regards the game as it is our 1st league game of season. I always try to feel confident that the team could get a nice result and with McCarthy, Storer and Elliott back in and we have two signings potentially in next couple of days. What a time to be a Jags fan ;-)

I have a particular disliking for Falkirk for no other reason than on of my old teachers at High School was a Bairn. He was a p***k and a terrible teacher. 

2 minutes ago, ESptfc said:

Fitzpatrick is ready for the first team, far superior player to Spittal imo.

Eh? 

I didn't say that Fitzpatrick wasn't ready for the first team. I used him as a comparison with Duncanson as they are both the same age - 17. 

I'm not really sure the point you are trying to make?

38 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

No doubt. the last two minutes of Gerry's update on the website is directed at the fans as social media and forums are incredibly negative regards disappointing recruitment and last weeks result when we had a 2nd bite at the cherry against Ayr and played even worse than in Betfred Cup. Every tweet or FB post Thistle has released has fans trolling about no signings and player budget cuts on them. They've got the message...no doubt. Especially from the season ticket holders I am sure.  

As it is McParland tribute day and first home game it is clear the club doesnt want any booing or negative signs or chants towards Archie and I understand why, to support the players as we need a win. Whilst many are wanting to see another direction and feel Archie's time is up I have never been at a game (outwith the Sandy Clark reign which was a complete unmitigated disaster...showing my age now) where Jags fans at Firhill have chanted to sack the manager or gotten overly vitriolic, Sevco style. Booing yes and it may well be warranted, especially this past year, but never fully fledged activism to get rid of management team and I am glad Gerry had the baws to come on and be video'd answering those fans. Many still won't be pleased but I think it is key to note that the new players and guys who decided to stay like Erskine, Doolan and Elliott should be supported as best we can at weekend.  They love the club and it's not the players we are upset with. It's clear there are some deeper challenges. 

I am prepared to see what happens tomorrow regards the game as it is our 1st league game of season. I always try to feel confident that the team could get a nice result and with McCarthy, Storer and Elliott back in and we have two signings potentially in next couple of days. What a time to be a Jags fan ;-)

I have a particular disliking for Falkirk for no other reason than on of my old teachers at High School was a Bairn. He was a p***k and a terrible teacher. 

The players get encouraged if they, collectively, give the impression the give a shit, and they give the fans something tangible to feel positive or hopeful about.

Gerry’s interview strays beyond the “we play better when the fans are behind us” and into the territory of inferring “its the fans’ fault our team is playing shit”.

The Thistle fanbase has, if anything, been far too timid in its approach to what’s happened to this club in the last 15 months. Cringeworthy renditions of “Alan Archibald” when losing to outfits that are barely full time.