The Partick Thistle thread

13 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

We might also put off punters. Many don’t like politics in football. Shouldn’t we be a club for all and be completely inclusive?

If we're being totally inclusive, doesn't that mean we should be catering for the punters who like politics in their football too?  :mellow:

My god, can we just hurry up and sign a player??

2 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

I take that point but the fact that Celtic have done it doesn't mean we cant/shouldn't. I've seen a  Hibs one and they are all over Europe too. I know the club provided tickets and transport for asylum seekers in the red road flats in the past. We are a proudly non sectarian inclusive club, supposedly a community club, the UK government are evicting asylum seekers from their property on our doorstep against the backdrop of a hostile environment. Showing solidarity with them is the right thing to do, and we might even get some extra punters through the door.

That's all extremely laudable but personally I'd rather the club donated the money directly to a charity to actively help refugees with legal fees, living costs etc. and/or gave out free tickets again, rather than the same amount of money being spent on a large flag saying we're a friendly club.

The latter is fine, in a try-hard "wha's like us" Celtic kinda way, but then the question arises: why don't we have other flags in support of other good causes and against other political injustices?  If we're using news headlines as flag-motivators, should we have one in support of abuse survivors in football, given our old MD has messed up the PR on that at the SFA already?

9 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

Seriously now thinking about missing the opening game of the season for the first time in over thirty years

Man up Prof. It's only a game...

If we're being totally inclusive, doesn't that mean we should be catering for the punters who like politics in their football too?  :mellow:

My god, can we just hurry up and sign a player??

🤦‍♂️ Other than weirdos who likes mixing sports and politics? I would think vast majority get away from that shit when at the match?

Isn’t football supposed to bring us all together? [emoji6]

Signing what players? Settle down there...

Seriously now thinking about missing the opening game of the season for the first time in over thirty years

Because there’s no refugee support banner and a lack of signings?

First time in 30 years you say...I’ve changed my mind. I’m all for mixing politics and football. Let’s make it 31 years Prof.

How do you keep politics and sport separate? Indeed how do you keep politics separate from society as a whole? 

Politics, in some shape or form, impacts upon just about everything we do. From the price of bread, what transport options are available to us to what we watch on TV and how we watch it. It might not be 'party political' but it is still political all the same. 

Anyway, the sporting boycott of apartheid South Africa played a significant part, as it keep South Africa isolated from the rest of the world, in bringing an end to apartheid. A clear example of politics and sport mixing very closely. 

Anyway.....

We’re only a few days away from the start of the league season and we look to be woefully short in most areas of the squad. There’s every chance that we’ll go into Saturday’s game without a recognised right-back. What a shocking state of affairs, even by our own standards.

Edited by Hammer Jag

Anyway.....
We’re only a few days away from the start of the league season and we look to be woefully short in most areas of the squad. There’s every chance that we’ll go into Saturday’s game without a recognised right-back. What a shocking state of affairs, even by our own standards.

Aye, you’d think we’d have learned from last season that, if avoidable, don’t make a complete arse of the summer transfer window and end up with complete shite like Martin Woods and Paul McGinn.

Most of the guys we’ve signed look good enough (with the glaring exception of McGinty, who looks dreadful) but the sheer lack of numbers is a massive concern. Going into the season with arguably only adequate cover in one or two areas of the field is pretty shoddy, so hopefully we’ll get a few signings in over the next couple of days.

Hopefully if we’re still targeting the English lower leagues we’ll get a flurry of activity when their window shuts and the guys without deals shite it. Not sure how/if the window affects free transfers though.

28 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Anyway.....

That's why

Anyway.....

14 players out, 6 in. Woop woop.

44 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, you’d think we’d have learned from last season that, if avoidable, don’t make a complete arse of the summer transfer window and end up with complete shite like Martin Woods and Paul McGinn.

Most of the guys we’ve signed look good enough (with the glaring exception of McGinty, who looks dreadful) but the sheer lack of numbers is a massive concern. Going into the season with arguably only adequate cover in one or two areas of the field is pretty shoddy, so hopefully we’ll get a few signings in over the next couple of days.

Hopefully if we’re still targeting the English lower leagues we’ll get a flurry of activity when their window shuts and the guys without deals shite it. Not sure how/if the window affects free transfers though.

Archie doesn't like to rush in early and pay over the odds for a bunch of shite.

He prefers to take his time and then sign a bunch of shite during an panic attack over his squad being half complete.

39 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The EPL window shuts early this year but the EFL one doesn't shut until the 31st, same as ours. We'll have played 3 league games and the 2 cup games by that point. We were told we'd be targetting the Scottish market but of the 8 signings, 3 were last at English clubs. There's not very many names floating about in Scotland without a contract (I still have the Willo Flood fear tbf) so presuming we're waiting on guys from down South again.

With Elliott and McCarthy suspended and Lennox and Bannigan injured, that leaves at best 14 available first team players for Saturday, plus probably Wilson and Fitzpatrick. Braw.

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The EPL window shuts early this year but the EFL one doesn't shut until the 31st, same as ours. We'll have played 3 league games and the 2 cup games by that point. We were told we'd be targetting the Scottish market but of the 8 signings, 3 were last at English clubs. There's not very many names floating about in Scotland without a contract (I still have the Willo Flood fear tbf) so presuming we're waiting on guys from down South again.

With Elliott and McCarthy suspended and Lennox and Bannigan injured, that leaves at best 14 available first team players for Saturday, plus probably Wilson and Fitzpatrick. Braw.

The EFL window shuts next Friday too.

3 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

That's all extremely laudable but personally I'd rather the club donated the money directly to a charity to actively help refugees with legal fees, living costs etc. and/or gave out free tickets again, rather than the same amount of money being spent on a large flag saying we're a friendly club.

The latter is fine, in a try-hard "wha's like us" Celtic kinda way, but then the question arises: why don't we have other flags in support of other good causes and against other political injustices?  If we're using news headlines as flag-motivators, should we have one in support of abuse survivors in football, given our old MD has messed up the PR on that at the SFA already?

Absolutely the club could give free tickets or give to an appropriate charity. The club aren't paying for the banner though and even if they were the small amount it costs is nothing for 300 people being made homeless overnight.

I see nobody has addressed the points about everything being political and the fact the club already supports minorities fighting for justice by way of the anti racism campaign and LGBT rights.

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The EFL window shuts next Friday too.

So it does, I googled that before posting then read an out of date link. Guess that helps us a little if we're looking to pick up guys on loan from league 2, but then again I'm guessing conference or below is probably more our level now. 

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

----------------- Bell

Keown - O'Ware - McGinty - Penrice

---------- Gordon - Slater

----- Spittal - Erskine - Storey

-------------- Doolan

Subs: Sneddon, Melbourne, Storer, Wilson, Fitzpatrick

That's what I'd guess we'll have to line up with on Saturday unless we've got a couple of new names in by then.

Keown/O'Ware interchangable at RB, but neither a good fit. Could end up beingMelbourne or Penrice there instead, I suppose. Still not ideal. Or 3-5-2 with Spittal and Penrice as WBs. Again, no thanks.

Regardless of how we line up... ugh.