The Partick Thistle thread

8 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

If we are serious about replacing Archie, I would suggest that Ayr United manager seems to know how to recruit and set up a team. 

Any chance we might make a move for him?:whistle

He certainly does.  If I recall right, McCall signed Doolan and Erskine for us - possibly our two most important players of the last ten years - and is an all round good manager who can spot a player and motivate and organise a team.   AA, on the other hand, has a pretty poor record in spotting players and organising teams, which makes it unfortunate for us that he's been kept on to rebuild 80% of the squad for a promotion challenge.  He also apparently couldn't motivate our players (including our then-captain) in the closing stages of last season.

3 hours ago, Rednyella said:

That ‘type’ of player is what we need. Not necessarily him as he’s a dick but It’s an opinion and a very valid one.

As for Willo Flood I don’t think he’s the answer either as he’s past it and a head banger but a couple of players with some grit and experience is what we probably lack and why we seem to have good spells in games but don’t see out a full consistent 90 mins with teams pinning us back or finding out in areas we’re inexperienced. We also have 6-7 new players in the first XI which doesn’t help so we have to take that into consideration also.

I’m concerned about the goalkeeper.
As Bell looks like he may be a bomb scare. Lennox doesn’t look better and Sneddon whilst young, seems the best out of the three.

We’ve lots to learn about these new players. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad.

Cammy Bell certainly outweighs the both of them.

34 minutes ago, third lanark said:

The only likelihood he would be away would be if he has a certain bid fee in his contract. somethign along the lines of if a club is willing to pay £70,000 then he is free to talk to the club.  It may be somethign his agent insited on when he signed a new deal with Ayr United - no idea whether he has or not.  WIth Liam Lindsay for instance everyone at Firhill clearly wanted to keep him and he had 2 years on his deal, but I had heard there was a clause in his contract meaning that if a club came in for him with such and such an offer then he is free to talk to them.  Might not be the case with Ayr United though

Rubbish. No such clause existed.

25 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

You obviously are more aware of what happened than me, couldn’t think of any other reason why we sold him given he had a couple of years left on his contract.

however I dare say such clauses exist with some players at clubs though no idea if it’s the case with Ayr United 

4 hours ago, Rednyella said:

I’m concerned about the goalkeeper.
As Bell looks like he may be a bomb scare. Lennox doesn’t look better and Sneddon whilst young, seems the best out of the three.

Cammy Bell is fine. He would be miles down any list of worries we have right now. I’ll take a solid keeper with nearly 200 top flight games (blighted by one spectacular mistake) over a guy who has barely played any football anywhere.

Personally I think we should beg McCall to come back for 2 years to build the team then hope he  start sgambling again. Then beg McNamara to take over for 6 months and leave for Dundee United. then Archie  can have another 4 years of slowly but surely ruining the team built by others and sticking his fist in the side of cheek, staring into the centre circle thinking. Wit ma gonnae dae.!

Edited by Thistle4eva

1 hour ago, professor challenger said:

If there are no new player in by Saturday serious questions have to be asked about the manager.

Not replacing Osman is another serious question of Archibald right now. It’s been evident since our “captain” started acting like a fanny over 6 months ago that we needed someone useful in that position.

I understand that we had to ride out last season with the guy because he was contracted, probably on a pretty high wage, but despite a miserable half-season with no ballwinner in the middle, the fact that we’ve had over 2 months of summer/preseason and still haven’t addressed this position is frightening.

52 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Cheers for clarifying - had wondered about that one. Makes me wonder why we willingly accepted such a dreadful offer, though.

So, just to summarise... Bell's a bombscare, Lennox is useless (after 45 minutes of play for Thistle), Elliott is so poor that no other professional team would sign him, McGinty is, also, a bombscare, Penrice won't be around for long 'cos Archibald hates young players (and he's not that good anyway), Slater's crap, Gordon's anonymous (despite scoring two goals on his debut), Spittal is, well, it's just a scandal that he still plays football after last season, Erskine is past it, so's Doolan, Storer is likely to be arrested for murder before the end of the season, Storey can only run in a straight line, and he's not very good at that, Keown is just stealing money from the club, as is Bannigan (although he's been doing it for longer), the manager is crap, he's always been crap and the board are a disgrace for not realising that over the past several years, although they're crap too because they hate Thistle fans and they're only in it for the money. Jeeso - no wonder I'm depressed.

Cammy Bell is fine. He would be miles down any list of worries we have right now. I’ll take a solid keeper with nearly 200 top flight games (blighted by one spectacular mistake) over a guy who has barely played any football anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, Bell does look fine and should be pretty solid. However, young he may be, but don't forget, Sneddon was on the bench for cowdenbeathn in the Championship aged 17 at Ibrox, Easter Rd and Tynecastle and went on to play almost 40 1st team games at League 1 and 2 level. A lot more experience than most 'youngsters'

7 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Is there any money left in the flat kitty jagfox? Could we consider a Refugees Welcome banner in red and yellow for the back of the Lambie?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16384920.glasgow-blindsided-as-refugees-face-mass-evictions/ 

For the back 4, never mind the back of the JL Stand.

7 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Is there any money left in the flat kitty jagfox? Could we consider a Refugees Welcome banner in red and yellow for the back of the Lambie?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16384920.glasgow-blindsided-as-refugees-face-mass-evictions/ 

£2000 with the club as far as I know.