The Partick Thistle thread

Also quite happy with that. Was poor last season but if he's played in his proper position I think he can do well in this league.

Would also be pleased to see Keown re-sign on reduced terms but doubt that's an option.

Main priorities for me now are a commanding central midfielder and two out-and-out wingers. Then at least one central defender, cover at full-back and a striker. So still a lot of work to be done.

I'm happy with that, partly because  as pish as he was (and let's not sugar coat it, even played as a winger his goal return  was pish) I think we'd struggle to get someone with the potential to be as good as him.  Also good that he appears to have got his head down and grafted in pre-season and that he's willing to take a wage cut and stay.

I know the United guy was on the wind-up about Flood, but  the longer he goes without signing for anyone, and the more we look like we need another centre mid...with experience...

Despite having about as much impact last season as David Amoo ever did (right down to goals against Dundee and St Johnstone) im glad he's agreed revised terms; one less headache and I'm optimistic he'll have an impact on games more often than not now that we've dropped a tier.

Like everyone else, I'm very pleased about Storey's revised contract. He's shown commitment to the club, (presumably) saved us money, and has the pace to cause problems in this division.

That said, does Archibald have the gumption to regularly play him as a forward, where he has a good chance of scoring goals, or will he stubbornly stick to last season's failed tactic of putting him out on the wing, which everyone could see was a complete waste of time?

Happy with that and fair play to Miles for taking a wage cut. That shows real commitment.  Let's give him a shot up front in the two remaining Betfred Cup games. Dools has been piss poor in the first two games, so let's give Storey a run out to see if he still has his ICT striking power in the locker.

Although played out of position last year he was still pretty awful so I’m not going as overboard as some on Facebook are about him staying on  but he deserves respect for taking a pay cut.

Still think we need another striker, dools is another year older (and a bit sluggish in the 2 cup games we have played before- albeit he’s usually a bit of a slow starter anyway), while I’m not convinced Archie won’t play Storey on the wing and even if he is played as an out and out striker while really fast with lots of energy we have still to see how successful a goalscorer he actually is (azeez had bags of energy and was fast but not a good goal scorer)

Storey didn't look like the kind of player who could lead the line when Archibald played him there last season - St. Johnstone and Motherwell away come to mind. If we play him as a second striker, we'll need to play with three at the back and rely on Elliott and Penrice to give us width. How would fans feel about that? 'Archibald's so defensive minded'! I don't think the answer is to move Storey's position, it's for Storey to learn to play from wide. Christie Elliott (the most improved Thistle player I've ever watched) has shown that it's perfectly possible to learn to play well in a role that's unfamiliar. (And once he learns how to cross a ball, he'll be the best wing-back in Scotland.)

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

I don't think the answer is to move Storey's position, it's for Storey to learn to play from wide. Christie Elliott (the most improved Thistle player I've ever watched) has shown that it's perfectly possible to learn to play well in a role that's unfamiliar. 

It's taken Christie seven seasons to nail down a place in the side. We don't have the time or resources to dick around in that fashion with Storey.

Storey didn't look like the kind of player who could lead the line when Archibald played him there last season - St. Johnstone and Motherwell away come to mind. If we play him as a second striker, we'll need to play with three at the back and rely on Elliott and Penrice to give us width. How would fans feel about that? 'Archibald's so defensive minded'! I don't think the answer is to move Storey's position, it's for Storey to learn to play from wide. Christie Elliott (the most improved Thistle player I've ever watched) has shown that it's perfectly possible to learn to play well in a role that's unfamiliar. (And once he learns how to cross a ball, he'll be the best wing-back in Scotland.)

Interesting.

We could play Jamie Sneddon in midfield.
If he shite then just demand he learns to be better.

No need for more signings.

Storey being played as a lone striker twice last season doesn’t really prove a lot. Our midfield was rid fucking rotten.

The fact is he should be a striker that plays on the shoulder of the defence as his pace isn’t in debate. Getting him making the right movement and someone capable of making a defence splitting pass to get him through on goal is something we should be looking at.

Storeys goal at firhill when he romped up the the left wing and stuck one in the bottom corner, I thought would be his turning point. 

I would quite like to see him start through the middle on Tuesday against AR.

59 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Storey played up front a lot more than twice which was the point Firhillista was making. The game against the orcs at firhill he spent running out to the fucking wing to get the ball. 

As far as I remember Doolan or The fish played up front and storey played wide bar a handfull of games.

He never got a run or a chance as an out and out striker but that could be to do with how shite our midfield was.

Thats just the point I was making.