The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, cilitbang said:

The DU thread screams that the guy is shit. I’d rather give a youth a chance than sign someone else’s dross. 

Some Dunfermline poster on here said McMullan was decent for them and he would take him back.

FWIW we do give our youth players a chance.
I don't know anything of our youth team. Are any of them consistent and good enough to play 40 games this season?

Mark Russell would seem like a good enough fit. After being touted for bigger moves at Morton he seemed frustrated at having been moved about from his preferred left back position, which we could guarantee him. It would ease the pressure on Penrice too, and as last season showed you can't afford to be complacent in the full back positions. 

I'd guess we'd have heard something by now if there was genuine interest, but he fits the bill of Scottish-based and no transfer fee which we've been going with so far. 

55 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Reckon we're still seven players short: a centre half, a couple of fullbacks, two centre mids, a winger and a striker.

I agree with this although I'm going on the basis Bannigan won't make it, *if* he was able to last the season I think we could get away with one more player there.  I don't know if Callum Wilson is going to be part of the first team squad, he was mentioned as such on the squad cull announcement but he's yet to play a competitive game, and we don't have Celtic in the league this season to throw him in for his debut like we did with David Wilson and McCarthy. 

Also can't see us signing two fullbacks, though if we did it might allow Penrice to cover one of the midfield positions. We're probably looking for someone who can cover two positions like CB/ RB, a Gary Miller type (though obviously not him now).

As it stands we have a first team squad of 17, inc 3 goalkeepers, 2 guys who are transfer listed, and one guy whose knee must resemble Swiss cheese.  Hopefully Barton being shifted allows for a bit more movement as we build towards the league games- wouldn't be a massive surprise if he was our highest earner last season given the 3 year deal and that we paid a fee for him.

1 hour ago, Nizzy said:

Reckon we're still seven players short: a centre half, a couple of fullbacks, two centre mids, a winger and a striker.

I agree with this, 1 of the CM might be Sena so that *should* be a cheap wage. 

Archie views Penrice as a fullback but might be forced to play him in midfield if injuries and suspensions catch up. 

In the United games I saw on TV last season (probably around 5 or 6), I thought McMullan looked like he offered nothing. One of the many players they had who basically summed up why they were a mid-table team in a poor Championship.

Based on this (admittedly small sample size), I don't want him.

I’m sure i read Archie saying we would be getting another 4 players in, and if the 3 guys available for transfer left they would also have to be replaced.

I’m guessing it’s not a case of we need rid of these players to sign others, and more that getting rid of the unwanted guys would obviously mean we are in a position to get a better quality of player in.

6 hours ago, cilitbang said:

I’m looking at it this way. If DU fans that have been watching utter shambles for the past few years are saying the guy is shit (can’t beat a man or cross past 1st defender etc), then he must be REALLY shit! 

Tbf he moved to United due to him playing really well at us, he can definitely beat a man, he's got superb pace and decent trickery that means he was probably one of the best I've seen at getting past a fullback, however considering how many decent situations he found himself him his return in terms of goals and assists wasn't fantastic, he didn't threaten us at all last season though when he played against us, looked half the player. 

How do you know he suffers from depression? Sounding miserable in an interview with the press and being a shitebag last season a diagnosis does not make.

He said he has suffered from it for years if you read the article. Has had counseling or so he said. I’m not suggesting I’m defending his poor play for us, but this is from him in his interview.

I’m glad he’s away just like most fans, but amazing how a player can be a gem and POTY one minute and falls of the map the next.

8 hours ago, Rednyella said:

He said he has suffered from it for years if you read the article. Has had counseling or so he said. I’m not suggesting I’m defending his poor play for us, but this is from him in his interview.

I’m glad he’s away just like most fans, but amazing how a player can be a gem and POTY one minute and falls of the map the next.

He doesn't say that at all. He says he went to a psychologist as he was 'struggling for confidence' and was 'questioning himself'.

He is candid about the psychological pressure on a lot of young players.

This results in depression  for 1/3 players apparently.

A lot of players obviously do suffer from depression  so no issue with him discussing his own experiences.

16 hours ago, Nizzy said:

And a partridge in a pear tree.