The Partick Thistle thread

From what the board and Archie have shared the budget will be extremely competitive. I remember Archie stating that he expects same number of players in squad this year as last year. I can only see that happening if we can get Barton, Keown and Storey off the books but surely these three won't destroy the opportunities we have to bring in the players we need? 

So looks like we're making some moves and that is 6 new players with I would think 5-6 more to come. I highly doubt Archie will be in favour if we are to try and win the league if we are light in several key areas. Look what happened last year...we lost all our full backs and ended up with issues in midfield due to injury. That cannot happen this year. We have to learn from our mistakes. With step up of a few youngsters also like Fitzpatrick as happened with McCarthy and Penrice hopefully we replace majority of the 17 we let go. 

Edited by Rednyella

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I can see Storey staying.

I wouldn't mind if he did, as his limited "running fast in a straight line" shtick may work better in this division if he is played regularly through the middle, having been played on the wing, and sporadically, last year in one of Archibald's many baffling selection patterns. Obviously he has to be motivated too, but that's another matter. 

Barton is probably the priority offload from the three high-earners, as his "strolling around and not winning challenges while the game passes by" shtick definitely won't work, and he wasn't trying last season.

Edited by VictorOnopko

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I can see Storey staying.

Storey looked good against Clyde and Raith ,in fact stood out . don't know if he was trying to impress AA or future club or just found his level

10 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I wouldn't mind if he did, as his limited "running fast in a straight line" shtick may work better in this division if he is played regularly through the middle, having been played on the wing, and sporadically, last year in one of Archibald's many baffling selection patterns. Obviously he has to be motivated too, but that's another matter. 

Barton is probably the priority offload from the three high-earners, as his "strolling around and not winning challenges while the game passes by" shtick definitely won't work, and he wasn't trying last season.

It may be that a less mobile player like Barton does well among other players with a more athletic approach: teams need combinations, and last season's midfield was notably stilted. At the same time, Barton towers above most other players.

4 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am a bit bemused by the stick Barton is getting. He had a bad season last year, but the one before he was POTY. Which one is his norm.

Because he went from POTY to an absolute liability, and we got relegated?

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am a bit bemused by the stick Barton is getting. He had a bad season last year, but the one before he was POTY. Which one is his norm.

It was his disgraceful attitude that has pissed people off. He had one of the worst individual performances of the season at Dingwall and he couldn’t have looked less interested if he tried and the most effort he put in during the play-off, was the sprint from the pitch to the dressing rooms at full time.

It was his disgraceful attitude that has pissed people off. He had one of the worst individual performances of the season at Dingwall and he couldn’t have looked less interested if he tried and the most effort he put in during the play-off, was the sprint from the pitch to the dressing rooms at full time.

This.

Combine that with the self indulgent “my team mates are making me look bad” interviews and it’s not hard to see why he gets more flak than anyone else. Martin Woods might well* be a shite wage thief, but it’s not really on to say so when you’re standing about the pitch doing f**k all as well.

*He definitely, definitely was and is.

21 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

You just know that there's a Barton interview in some English local newspaper coming in the next month or so about his 'Scottish hell' and how the standard is so much better at whatever English Conference South team he signs for. 

I've been looking forward to this since about January. Probably some reference to irn bru and deep fried Mars bars as well. 

14 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

So you think that he was more to blame than any other player and there is no possibility that his form this season will be more in line with his 1st season ?

I think he was our joint worst player last season (based on the games I managed to get to, anyway), along with Devine. His attitude stank and he was one of the main reasons we were overrun game after game by poor teams; he looked absolutely clueless and afraid of getting involved.  He might be better this season in a lower league if no one else will take him, or if he stays, he might continue to dial in his halfarsed performances (on premiership wages), as he clearly thinks he's better than he is.   Is he worth keeping on and throwing money at in the hope that he suddenly finds focus, determination and motivation again? In my opinion - no.

Barton would absolutely stroll it in the Championship if he could be arsed. Considering he didn't fancy it for much of last season in a higher division, and was quite content to blame everyone else for why his own failings, it's unlikely he will be. A real shame, because he's probably one of the most naturally gifted footballers we've had at Firhill in a number of years.

Edited by GrahamJags

I think he was our joint worst player last season (based on the games I managed to get to, anyway), along with Devine. His attitude stank and he was one of the main reasons we were overrun game after game by poor teams; he looked absolutely clueless and afraid of getting involved.  He might be better this season in a lower league if no one else will take him, or if he stays, he might continue to dial in his halfarsed performances (on premiership wages), as he clearly thinks he's better than he is.   Is he worth keeping on and throwing money at in the hope that he suddenly finds focus, determination and motivation again? In my opinion - no.

Unfortunately, I think everyone was a shadow of the previous season. We know Barton can be very good. We don’t know how any of these new players will perform. We May not have any option than to keep him and if that is the case we should be trying to make sure we get the best out of him

41 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Barton would absolutely stroll it in the Championship if he could be arsed.

This.  I could see him being an absolute stand-out player, strolling about with a cigar out being an absolute baller.  But there's an equal chance that he'll get the shit kicked out of him, and we'll start seeing the same attitude that we saw last season.

If he wants away, and someone's willing to take him, then punt him.  And that's coming from someone who loves a player like him.