The Partick Thistle thread

The Jagzone interview was very concerning, IMO.
We're looking at loan signings, plenty of trialists being looked at, we are financially hamstrung because of the financial issues of playing in a lower league and also because we need to shift Barton, Storey and Keown. It was said we were/are looking at the Scottish market  for financial reasons as opposed to down south. It was also mentioned the likes of Fitzpatrick will feature in the first team plans and some more bleating of excuses about lack of time to build a squad because of the play-offs as well as money.
I'm not sure he knows what he is doing. Also didn't the club release a statement  day or two after the Livingston game and it was said that the manager would be given a competitve budget in order to achive promotion? We're miles behind in terms of quality and depth at the moment. Either thats false or the manager is making a mess of things, or maybe even both. Right now we have three fucking goalkeepers,  thats a horrendous use of the budget for starters, IMO. 

Except that 2 seasons ago we had to bring in 2 short term loans because our keepers were both injured

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Except that 2 seasons ago we had to bring in 2 short term loans because our keepers were both injured

You were probably given what was imagined to be a competitive budget. However, Dundee Utd are throwing the cash about, Ross County are still living in fantasy land, Dunfermline are back spending the banks cash and Falkirk have finally eased up on the purse strings for a change

Social media suggesting we beat Clyde 3-1 tonight with goals from a trialist, Fitzpatrick, and Storey.  

Had a look at the OS to see what Fitzpatrick's DOB was* and discovered that for the very few players we've got, the squad numbers have been updated (unless @South Lanarkshire Jag is just trolling us), 1-11 looks like

1 Bell

2 Elliott

3 Penrice

4 O'Ware

5 Keown

6 McGinty

7 Spittal

8 Bannigan

9 Doolan

10 Erskine

11 <blank>

Also Barton has moved from 13-> 18 and Storey from 39-> 19

*it's not on there but it's 20/3/2001 which means he was born eleven days before Peter Lindau scored his hat-trick at Stirling.  Which I think makes him 3 and a half years old as that definitely wasn't seventeen years ago.

Edited by Fuctifano

12 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

I didn't actually say he had an 80% success rate. The point I was making that every manager at our level(bottom six Ladbrokes Prem and top eight Ladbrokes Champ) makes punts. You were making the argument that he is very poor at signing players from the English lower leagues when his record is, without looking into other clubs specific activity, probably comparable.

Abdul Osman and Ryan Edwards were successes.

Prince Buaben and Lyle Taylor were good loans from English lower league clubs, regardless of where they previously played their football. Kallum Higginbotham was another success in my book signing from Huddersfield. Ultimately he played a big part in keeping us up in our first two seasons even if he was inconistent.

David Amoo had a good first season and a poor second season.

Mustapha Dumbuya was excellent until he got his first injury at the end of January 2016(I think). Happy enough to class him as a crock.

Daniel Seaborne is not a perma crock. He played 22 games in his first season to the end of February(we'd played 31 games by the point) where an injury that required surgery ended his season. He played 35 games in his second season, including being an ever present from September to April, when a suspension due to six yellows killed the streak.

Ben Richards-Everton - cheap filler to replace Piccolo.

Niall Keown - Success in his loan spell and was a signing everyone raved about when we got him. Had a disappointing season last year alongside everyone.

Adam Barton - Successful in his first season but was part of the disappointing class of last season.

Henoc Mukendi - A player who cost the Club no money what so ever and was worth the punt first season up. Didn't work out.

Jake Carroll - Didn't rip up any trees but featured quite a lot in his time here. Would probably file under Meh.

Antonio German - signed from an Indian side so not from the English Lower Leagues

Baily Cargill - I thought he was ok but not brilliant.

Jordan Turnbull - I liked him and thought he was good. If he hadn't been recalled and stayed the length of the season I think we'd have had a better chance of 10th.

Jason Banton - cheap punt on the last day of the season. Got injured in training and never played a first team game.

George Moncur - cheap loan who arrived at the club unfit and overweight. Spent his time here getting fit and was ready to play by the end of the season.

Nathan Eccleston - cheap dud

Mathias Pogba - cheap dud

Ade Azeez - We made a profit on Ade Azeez which has got to be a success! While he didn't directly score goals he did help others around him have better seasons, made defences terrified and contributed to

Out of the 20 players there I'd put 7 in the "utter dross" category. Sure, they all haven't been successes but only about a third of them have been "utter dross"

We forgot Stuckmann - I would put him in the dud category 

Storey and Fitzpatrick were impressive at the game tonight. The boy Storer looks a tidy player, good at spraying passes. There were also a couple trialist CHs, a RB, a striker and a midfielder. The midfielder I heard is a Scottish prem (youth) player we’re looking to loan.

26 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Social media suggesting we beat Clyde 3-1 tonight with goals from a trialist, Fitzpatrick, and Storey.  

Had a look at the OS to see what Fitzpatrick's DOB was* and discovered that for the very few players we've got, the squad numbers have been updated (unless @South Lanarkshire Jag is just trolling us), 1-11 looks like

1 Bell

2 Elliott

3 Penrice

4 O'Ware

5 Keown

6 McGinty

7 Spittal

8 Bannigan

9 Doolan

10 Erskine

11 <blank>

Also Barton has moved from 13-> 18 and Storey from 39-> 19

*it's not on there but it's 20/3/2001 which means he was born eleven days before Peter Lindau scored his hat-trick at Stirling.  Which I think makes him 3 and a half years old as that definitely wasn't seventeen years ago.

No trolling, all squad numbers are correct - that reminds me that I haven't added Lennox(12) to the website. Must put that on the to do list. 

McCarthy has moved to 16 from 24 also. All the youngsters have moved down to 20ish upwards. 

From memory we have 11, 13, 14, 15 and 17 "free" as it stands, 

13 minutes ago, third lanark said:

We forgot Stuckmann - I would put him in the dud category 

I'm shocked that a goalkeeper we signed in an emergency after a transfer window to cover Ryan Scully after Tomas Cerny got injured wasn't exactly Dino Zoff. He only played because we lost two goalkeepers to serious injuries. It's a bit harsh to call him a dud in my opinion.

Even counting him as a dud, a ratio of 8/21 - 38% approximately does not mean that the statement "To be fair most of our signings from down south have been utter dross and to think we have spent more on them" is in any way accurate.

That's without going into the claim that they are more expensive that Scottish based players.

18 minutes ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

Storey and Fitzpatrick were impressive at the game tonight. The boy Storer looks a tidy player, good at spraying passes. There were also a couple trialist CHs, a RB, a striker and a midfielder. The midfielder I heard is a Scottish prem (youth) player we’re looking to loan.

What was the striker like? Could the RB cross a ball?

What was the striker like? Could the RB cross a ball?

The striker scored and created another decent chance for himself later on but didn’t do much other than, although he was pretty isolated at times. The RB stuck in a couple decent crosses but wasn’t really anything to get excited about. Edit: Forgot to mention Slater as well who looked decent, seemed to play a Bannigan type role. 

46 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

No trolling, all squad numbers are correct - that reminds me that I haven't added Lennox(12) to the website. Must put that on the to do list. 

McCarthy has moved to 16 from 24 also. All the youngsters have moved down to 20ish upwards. 

From memory we have 11, 13, 14, 15 and 17 "free" as it stands, 

I'm shocked that a goalkeeper we signed in an emergency after a transfer window to cover Ryan Scully after Tomas Cerny got injured wasn't exactly Dino Zoff. He only played because we lost two goalkeepers to serious injuries. It's a bit harsh to call him a dud in my opinion.

Even counting him as a dud, a ratio of 8/21 - 38% approximately does not mean that the statement "To be fair most of our signings from down south have been utter dross and to think we have spent more on them" is in any way accurate.

That's without going into the claim that they are more expensive that Scottish based players.

Well that’s your opinion only 8 out of the 21 were dross - we will have to disagree then