The Partick Thistle thread

10 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

It’s a running joke as we famously used to have a strict wage cap at £500 per week during the John Lambie days. Some of our fans genuinely believe it’s still in place today. Any talk of budgets in the Premiership forum and a select few Thistle fans would always shriek about how we only pay £500.

here it comes, here it comes, here it comes...

7 hours ago, Rednyella said:

I am absolutely sure there is no way we’re paying 500 a week to our top players. That’s approx 24k a year.
Have you seen the motors some of these lads drive? They have families to provide for ffs. If I was Erskine I’d be pipe fitting again if I was on that wage.

I would think young lads like Penrice and MacCarthy would be on roughly that. But Doolan, Erskine and those on transfer list at moment are ranged between 60-100k a year total including expenses like flat/car. The top 10 players from the team at very most. The squad players are 24-60k. So 500-2k a week.

Many of you can laugh but let’s try to be realistic for the 21st Century. Mortgages need to be paid.

there it goes, there it goes, there it goes...

2 minutes ago, the_paulo said:

I heard the clincher in the Frans deal was charter flights back home every weekend.  

Anyone know how much it costs to fly 24 miles from your destination to save me going on the Ryanair site?

I think he gets a company helicopter m8...

13 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Supplementing with loans is a sensible move but not one that will satisfy an increasingly baying mob. Oli Shaw and/or Scott Wright for example could certainly be classed as "quality" loan signings but neither will be allowed to leave much before early August. We trialled a right back on Saturday so somebody like the boy Godinho at Hearts might be on the radar. 

Good shout on Shaw, imo. I was thinking he'd be an excellent signing if going down the loan route as seems to be the case.

Midfield still needs serious bolstering both defensively and in a creative sense so Wright would fit the bill too.

Some help at full back would be useful too.

Any thoughts on possible targets folks?

11 hours ago, third lanark said:

If your talking about signings from English lower leagues then I would argue that he has not had an 80% success rate

osman and Edwards yes

buaben and Taylor were excellent (but you could argue they would have been well known for what he did at Scottish teams like Dundee United, Falkirk etc

amoo was okay

dumbaya and seaborne were perma crocks and cannot be said to be successes in my book in fact giving how much they actually played 

but I cannot agree that guys like Richards Everton,  keown,  mukendi, carroll, German, Cargil, turnbull, Banton, moncur, eccleston,  pogba And azeez were in any way successful at all and possibly not very cheap either 

I didn't actually say he had an 80% success rate. The point I was making that every manager at our level(bottom six Ladbrokes Prem and top eight Ladbrokes Champ) makes punts. You were making the argument that he is very poor at signing players from the English lower leagues when his record is, without looking into other clubs specific activity, probably comparable.

Abdul Osman and Ryan Edwards were successes.

Prince Buaben and Lyle Taylor were good loans from English lower league clubs, regardless of where they previously played their football. Kallum Higginbotham was another success in my book signing from Huddersfield. Ultimately he played a big part in keeping us up in our first two seasons even if he was inconistent.

David Amoo had a good first season and a poor second season.

Mustapha Dumbuya was excellent until he got his first injury at the end of January 2016(I think). Happy enough to class him as a crock.

Daniel Seaborne is not a perma crock. He played 22 games in his first season to the end of February(we'd played 31 games by the point) where an injury that required surgery ended his season. He played 35 games in his second season, including being an ever present from September to April, when a suspension due to six yellows killed the streak.

Ben Richards-Everton - cheap filler to replace Piccolo.

Niall Keown - Success in his loan spell and was a signing everyone raved about when we got him. Had a disappointing season last year alongside everyone.

Adam Barton - Successful in his first season but was part of the disappointing class of last season.

Henoc Mukendi - A player who cost the Club no money what so ever and was worth the punt first season up. Didn't work out.

Jake Carroll - Didn't rip up any trees but featured quite a lot in his time here. Would probably file under Meh.

Antonio German - signed from an Indian side so not from the English Lower Leagues

Baily Cargill - I thought he was ok but not brilliant.

Jordan Turnbull - I liked him and thought he was good. If he hadn't been recalled and stayed the length of the season I think we'd have had a better chance of 10th.

Jason Banton - cheap punt on the last day of the season. Got injured in training and never played a first team game.

George Moncur - cheap loan who arrived at the club unfit and overweight. Spent his time here getting fit and was ready to play by the end of the season.

Nathan Eccleston - cheap dud

Mathias Pogba - cheap dud

Ade Azeez - We made a profit on Ade Azeez which has got to be a success! While he didn't directly score goals he did help others around him have better seasons, made defences terrified and contributed to

Out of the 20 players there I'd put 7 in the "utter dross" category. Sure, they all haven't been successes but only about a third of them have been "utter dross"

BBC Report:

Spoiler

Former Partick Thistle goalkeeper Alan Rough is joining the Championship club's board of directors.

Rough, 66, played for the Jags between 1969 and 1982 and helped them win the Scottish League Cup in 1971.

He also played for Celtic, Hibernian and Orlando Lions and won 53 Scotland caps, playing at two World Cups.

Rough said the board's vision and commitment to winning promotion made the offer of becoming a director "impossible to refuse".

"Funnily enough, it looks like I will be a director of the club when we celebrate the 50th anniversary of our Scottish League Cup win against Celtic," he said.

"At 19, would I ever have thought I'd be back at the heart of things at Firhill all these years later? No.

"But will I be pleased to help mark the celebration as a director - a definite yes."

'Alan's heart belongs to Thistle'

Alan Archibald's Thistle were relegated after losing last season's Premiership play-off final against Livingston.

"Despite how the season ended, I believe that the right group of people are in place to deliver on the promise of promotion," said Rough.

"There's a buzz about Firhill that's unexpected, an enthusiasm and commitment that's infectious. But no-one is naive about the challenges ahead."

Chairman Jacqui Low added: "Alan's playing career is the stuff of dreams. He is at the top of our all-time appearance list having played 624 games for us. We are very pleased that he's agreed to join the board as a director; he was the first target on our list.

"Apart from Alan's heart belonging to Thistle, the skills he will bring to the board in terms of football knowledge and media experience, in addition to his wider contacts, will be invaluable to us.

"We plan to further strengthen the board in the coming months but I'm delighted Alan is the first to join us."

Apart from Alan's heart belonging to Thistle, the skills he will bring to the board in terms of football knowledge and media experience, in addition to his wider contacts, will be invaluable to us.

Good luck to him but I wonder what he can bring in real terms? Then again that can be asked of a few of our directors.

I'm looking forward to steaks getting served at hospitality now...

Archie’s whining, excuse-laden Jagzone interviews, Alan Rough being added to the board and our fans genuinely believing some of the utter nonsense wage figures in the last couple of pages. This season needs to hurry the f**k up and start.

Challenge Cup draw coming up... bet we get St Mirren Colts.