The Partick Thistle thread

18 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

the big thing that sticks out for me - ignoring cups, by my count we were winning at any point in the match 18 times last season out of 38 league games + the 2 playoff ties against Livingston.

Of those 18 matches we only held on for the win a feeble 7 times, drawing 5 and losing 6. I make that 25 points dropped in the league, as well as a major failure to hang on for dear life when leading away to Livi. edit: I'm not so sure thats *exactly* right, BBC league table has us with 8 wins in the league. I'll double check later on.

Then there's the 4-0 loss against County, the 3-0 first half disgrace against Hearts, 5-1 against Killie... and you can go back as far as the post-split shambles last season for somehow even *worse* results.

I'm still pretty torn about whether keeping him to see if he's able to work with a reduced budget next year to get us back up first time of asking (that BBC article is pretty clear that returning to the top flight almost immediately is extremely important to keep the club financially healthy) - but even if he does, can we trust him for the following year to keep us up?

I'm certain, admittedly only with hindsight, that getting rid of Archibald last season would have given us a strong fighting chance of finding someone that could find a way to graft out the points to keep us up with what we had, and would maybe have decided to make changes in January. It's done now, though.

I'd say this; I think keeping him would be a braver decision than getting rid, but also riskier. I'm guessing he'll want to stay himself out of professional pride, if nothing else.

What are the asterisks for?

Ah, I see. Some sort of emphasis. You youngsters...

Edited by Arnold Layne

The question wasn't valid because nothing was actually 'achieved'. Swing and a miss. 

I know that the popular notion that being a historian is all about knowing dates and facts is inaccurate but even if you didn’t know offhand it hardly required exhaustive research

For your information

Morton last finished in the top half (eighth out of eighteen) in 1970-71

They’ve yet to equal their 6th place in 1967-68 but achieved a creditable 7th (out of 10) in 1978-79. Two points clear of Partick Thistle

Even if VT’s just on the windup as per, he’s not exactly wrong.

We were in the top flight for 5 years and have very little to show for it. Top 6 is a decent achievement, but no cup SFs (or better), no Europe, and no victories against the OF despite one half of them being dreadful. 1 truly memorable game (the 4-2 at Tynecastle) and a few outstanding individual performances from players (Higgy at Well, Doolan’s 4 v Accies) are well overshadowed by being complete bottlejobs and chucking in what must be at least 30 last minute goals to lose or draw games we were winning. Meh.

Isn't the whole "If we don't keep Archie then we may get someone worse" argument as poor as the "who would you get in as a replacement?" point? It's a shitebag stance for me. With any managerial change there is an element of risk but you have to give it a go instead of meekly accepting more average to poor results.

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

Seems we are all fairly in agreement we don't trust Archie to make the right signings to rebuild the team and no one really wants Duffy/Yogi/Houston/McIntyre et al. I wouldn't be surprised if the board are feeling the same way. Pretty much means unless we have any surprisingly decent managers looking around then it will probably be status quo. Would also expect the board to be looking at minimum being in the play offs next season, if Archie does stay and if early on it doesn't look like this will be delivered, I reckon he will be gone. 

I just had a look at the released St Mirren players and their remaining squad and can't say it looks particularly great, wouldn't be interested in any of the released players even for the Championship. Jack Ross must be some manager. 

Preferably the right set.

Isn't the whole "If we don't keep Archie then we may get someone worse" argument as poor as the "who would you get in as a replacement?" point? It's a shitebag stance for me. With any managerial change there is an element of risk but you have to give it a go instead of meekly accepting more average to poor results.
Appointing a new manager is of course a risk as is keeping the current one. I don't mind either way but as someone pointed out earlier we are already weeks behind our competition in building a new squad. If we sack Archie tomorrow how long before a new man would be appointed? How long would it take him to appraise the current squad and identify signing targets?
Unless of course we give Scott Paterson the gig. Hardly an exciting prospect but appointing the assistant seemed to work out well enough for St. Johnstone.

14 minutes ago, Walter said:

Appointing a new manager is of course a risk as is keeping the current one. I don't mind either way but as someone pointed out earlier we are already weeks behind our competition in building a new squad. If we sack Archie tomorrow how long before a new man would be appointed? How long would it take him to appraise the current squad and identify signing targets?
Unless of course we give Scott Paterson the gig. Hardly an exciting prospect but appointing the assistant seemed to work out well enough for St. Johnstone.

If you believe The Star this morning he has been told the club want him to remain. Dare say it's up to Archie now. I would imagine he will decide by the end of this week at the very latest as he hinted at that in the post match interviews!

33 minutes ago, Walter said:

Hardly an exciting prospect but appointing the assistant seemed to work out well enough for St. Johnstone.

See things like this a lot. Tommy Wright had been a manager in his own right, and won a domestic trophy with a small club, before he joined St Johnstone as assistant to Lomas. 

I'm not sure if I'm Archie out or Archie stay but what i will say look at Sean Dyche at Burnley he took them down and brought them back stronger but Archie has got to learn from his atrocious season if he's going to stay. FWIW i dont want any of the managers previously named but I'm open to other names if/when it comes to it

8 minutes ago, colliedug said:

I'm not sure if I'm Archie out or Archie stay but what i will say look at Sean Dyche at Burnley he took them down and brought them back stronger but Archie has got to learn from his atrocious season if he's going to stay. FWIW i dont want any of the managers previously named but I'm open to other names if/when it comes to it

Burnley didn't go down with a complete lack of fight or desire, though. This year's Thistle team were a complete failure, and so much of that is down to Archibald.

I'd rather he left, but seeing as he's not away yet and we've heard nothing from the club it looks more likely that he'll remain in charge. So we'll really just need to put up with it at this point and hope that he can ship out all the chancers and build a team with a bit of mental strength again like the 2012/13 one.

I think us and St Mirren were the only teams not to take a point off Deila's Celtic as well, and St Mirren were only in the league for one of those seasons.

The longer it goes on, the more I'm thinking Archibald must be staying, I assumed he'd be gone first thing on Monday or even after the game Sunday if he was being sacked.